Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    That's kinda why a lot of VN-based shows fall flat to me (Clannad is a good example); the girls are there and then suddenly muh tragic back story gets tacked on. I think some sort of suffering or trial shows you exactly who a character is and that makes them more real and relatable.
    I was talking to myself about this the other day. What you describe is why I dislike that so many anime protagonists are young.

If a writer wants to make a character interesting they created a colored backstory. The issue is that with children and adolescents, they don't have the time to have a long and involved backstory. Therefore it has to be boiled down entirely to a single event that defines them. Emphasis on that last part: it is something that happens to them, not something they do. Really young children don't have the agency to make significant choices. Adolescents are reaching that point where their decisions also begin to really define who they are, but the writing in many series ignores this in favor of treating their personality as a done deal, as dictated from earlier in their life.

As a result of all this, so many adolescent characters really are just "muh tragic back story." No effort is made to expand on this, confusing the setting of the stage with the final result.

@Neichus I assume your Spice and Wolf discussion is going to be double tomorrow? I'm still waiting...

Also, @Neichus, I was randomly thinking about one of your previous posts, discussing that Death Parade scene with Chiyuki skating. While I totally agree that it is a powerful scene, I think I'd actually rate it as my second favorite scene in the show. For me, it'd go (collapsed because spoilers):

Spoiler: 
    1.) Episode 4, 12:56 in; the scene with Misaki Tachibana bashing Yousuke Tateishi's face into the arcade machine. I was in awe of the scene (and still am when I rewatch this episode) because it comes out of nowhere; the conversation between Decim and Chiyuki is meaningful and the thud comes during their speaking - there's no break. I was so focused on their conversation that I didn't expect anything in the background to happen, much less that. And, you know, not that I'm condoning that, but I can totally see someone just losing it - their life is on the line, after all (rather, that's what they're lead to believe). It's a shame that the resolution was rather weak...

2.) Obviously, the skating scene, not much to be said here. A fantastic scene, with little spoken dialogue. I much prefer this type of storytelling, as opposed to random spoken exposition dump #427...

3.) Sometime during episode 8 or 9, with Shimada's sister being assaulted. The look on her face, being bruised... oh boy.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2016-08-20 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I was talking to myself about this the other day. What you describe is why I dislike that so many anime protagonists are young.

If a writer wants to make a character interesting they created a colored backstory. The issue is that with children and adolescents, they don't have the time to have a long and involved backstory. Therefore it has to be boiled down entirely to a single event that defines them. Emphasis on that last part: it is something that happens to them, not something they do. Really young children don't have the agency to make significant choices. Adolescents are reaching that point where their decisions also begin to really define who they are, but the writing in many series ignores this in favor of treating their personality as a done deal, as dictated from earlier in their life.

As a result of all this, so many adolescent characters really are just "muh tragic back story." No effort is made to expand on this, confusing the setting of the stage with the final result.
    Definitely agree. Most back-stories just seem so tacked-on, like an after-thought. So many times, what a show tries to pass off as a really important and emotional scene ends up being hollow without some back-story. Instead of crafting a story and developing characters, we get treated to a sudden reveal right before said moment that plays out like "oh btw her parents died in a plane crash so that's why she is the way she is which explains why this scene is important okay?" I get that bad things happen, but most of the time the back-story is used to justify current behavior instead of being a part of the character and not having to use it as an excuse, if that makes any sense. But so many high school-age characters just have exaggerated personalities and behaviors and get some sort of past tragedy thrown in to make up for their lack of life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could draw, I'd love to throw together a web comic or something with some of you.

Most visual novel (and standard novel) adaptations are shit, due to time constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Most visual novel (and standard novel) adaptations are shit, due to time constraints.
    Steins;Gate was pretty damned great!

But yeah, that's the only good one I can think of off the top of my head...

15+ Year Old Account
    Love Live 08 - St. Snow feel kind of uh, tryhardy, compared to A-Rise

Honestly each time they mention µ's I sort of get nostalgic... I miss them. I hope some of the members have a cameo near the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait this is written by the same author as Suzuka and Fuuka isn't it? I've been warned against reading those by a few people for similar reasons and now I'm remembering that I was warned against Iru Machi too.

When I erupt into a fiery ball of rage, remember to blame Chelly.
    They are frustrating to read week by week. If you can read them all in one go it isn't. They have good stories to them. It's just that Seo is the bringer of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    @Neichus I assume your Spice and Wolf discussion is going to be double tomorrow? I'm still waiting...
    Yep, in fact I've been working on the post a little bit tonight as well.

Also, @Neichus, I was randomly thinking about one of your previous posts, discussing that Death Parade scene with Chiyuki skating. While I totally agree that it is a powerful scene, I think I'd actually rate it as my second favorite scene in the show. For me, it'd go (collapsed because spoilers):

Spoiler: 
    1.) Episode 4, 12:56 in; the scene with Misaki Tachibana bashing Yousuke Tateishi's face into the arcade machine. I was in awe of the scene (and still am when I rewatch this episode) because it comes out of nowhere; the conversation between Decim and Chiyuki is meaningful and the thud comes during their speaking - there's no break. I was so focused on their conversation that I didn't expect anything in the background to happen, much less that. And, you know, not that I'm condoning that, but I can totally see someone just losing it - their life is on the line, after all (rather, that's what they're lead to believe). It's a shame that the resolution was rather weak...

2.) Obviously, the skating scene, not much to be said here. A fantastic scene, with little spoken dialogue. I much prefer this type of storytelling, as opposed to random spoken exposition dump #427...

3.) Sometime during episode 8 or 9, with Shimada's sister being assaulted. The look on her face, being bruised... oh boy.
    Well, it's my favorite because it's uplifting. In terms of sheer power I think that it's tied with the end of episode 9, when the brother destroys gives in and crushes all the chips representing the detective's body. The intensity of the build up, the interplay of emotions, and then the credits where they show the scenes from his life with her as the song plays is masterful. The clear reflection on how he was a loving brother, now brought to this.

I wish I could draw, I'd love to throw together a web comic or something with some of you.
    I think I'm a better critic than I am creative writer. I was laughed at in English/Language Arts; carried my grade with analytical skills and technical writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    sunshine 8 - Was I the only one who paused...twice to look at the crowd during St. Snow's performance for a cameo?

Can actually withstand (and like) yoshiko's chuunibyou since it's a full on joke even to 4/5 of the other girls

Haha last place with 0 votes is too hilarious. Goes to show they're like a cult following, with others voting for their mainstream still

MORE ZURA BINGE EATING ON THE TRAIN

My god chika sounds like she's quitting, and here I thought that'd be Dia's line of "Aren't you frustrated?" ='(

I'm really loving how much more comedy > drama ratio there is this time. Thinking of first ep of love live original: SCHOOL CLOSING

ZURAMARU CUTTING OFF YOHANE...7k entrants? and I doubt many of them were single member groups....Does japan realistically have that # of high schoolers with all these schools closing?

HAH mari being the one invited to school idol is a great twist, and looks like Ruby actually knew all along by those eye openins

Oh crap kanaan having more than a line, and forgot about her hug trait....Dang stage fright is horrible I bet. Last time I did a "performance" > 25 viewers was like elementary christmas choirs

You photobombing since youth confirmed

HAH SHE REALLY DIDN'T REPLY TO YOU

rofl chika serious scene in the morning: hair waving but ornament shall not be moved

I still love how yohane's character moments are like 60% jokes at her expense
    [CENTER]

Yeah the beta/cringe/retard factor definitely cranked up to 11 in Iru Machi around chapter 45ish

holy fuck this MC is retarded

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I think I'm a better critic than I am creative writer. I was laughed at in English/Language Arts; carried my grade with analytical skills and technical writing.
    That's the thing, we have some people in here with an assortment of skills where we could probably brainstorm and make something decent.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, what you're saying is we should create an Anime Chat Thread eroge

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    So, what you're saying is we should create an Anime Chat Thread eroge
    As long as you don't let Shadow write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    As long as you don't let Shadow write it.
    Wow please. I think I write pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post
    Wow please. I think I write pretty well.
    You write good. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    You write good.
    Wow, are mods allowed to troll? Shadow, ban him.

10+ Year Old Account
    who's best girl in oreimo discuss

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Epuration; 2016-08-21 at 03:32 AM.

Spoiler: 

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god triggered.

Shit taste alert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god triggered.

Shit taste alert.
    So who is your favorite, you forgot to say.