Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

A year without electricity. Could you survive it?

It's said that if 9 specific power substations went down in the US then the whole country would lose electricity. It would knock out the entire countries electricity for at least a year. Could you survive a year without electricity? I mean think about it, no heat, no air, hospitals and grocery stores wouldn't be able to function. Supply chains would likely be shut down too. Would you be able to survive it? Here's a blog that discusses it.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/system...g-it-all-down/

http://time.com/23281/report-u-s-cou...nimal-attacks/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Cell-phone suicides would likely be vogue for a while.

would only shut down the grid in 2 months people would be off it, with generators or solar power.

Did it when I was a kid, didn't really notice a difference.

Now I would, but I was also like 6.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I know were I would go if the power went down, I know of a few caves, and caves are good places to set up shop because they stay a constant temperature.

There is also a solar shower bag things I've used in camping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    No I'd be contemplating suicide after 1 week without A/C.

No I wouldn't. How am I supposed to even get food or survive the hot summers and freezing winters?

Maybe if I had mad time to prepare beforehand...

I would hunt down who did this, and have decades of entertainment with them. They would soon learn they are consequences and repercussions with everything we do in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
    would only shut down the grid in 2 months people would be off it, with generators or solar power.
    Shut down the power grid in any developed nation and within 2 months you would have a humanitarian crisis of apocalyptic proportions on your hands.

I mean cholera/dysentery/mass starvation etc.

Diabetics, Asthma sufferers, people on dialysis or suffering from cardiovascular problems would be dead or dying in a week or two. Whatever resources FEMA could throw at the problem would be used up in a matter of weeks.

Hell, after the first month people would start dying just from septicemia and paper cuts and the due to the lack of clean drinking water.

Then there is the issue that vast areas of the countryside would become chemically contaminated beyond the point where they could support life, as industrial run-offs would poison their surroundings.

The American survivalist preper circle jerk morons with their fictional doomsday scenarios are literally clueless on the actual scale and scope of the catastrophe. They would fucking die of lead poisoning guarding their piles of canned peaches with their rifles in hand.

This is why even a limited nuclear exchange would practically annihilate any nation. It wouldn't be the explosions killing people, but the collapsing infrastructure that would wipe out the country.

Not to mention lose anything like a fifth of the population and reconstruction becomes neigh impossible as clusters of skilled labor and technical expertise would be wiped out.

The only people having something like a slim chance are those living fully pastoral/subsistence farming lifestyles at least hundreds of miles away from civilization. (Such things basically don't exist in the Western World).

And I haven't even talked about what would happen when the first winter kicks in.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-08-21 at 03:33 AM.

You mean, could I survive in the sense that I wouldn't be able to get food or water from the normal places? Nope, probably not, most likely would die If you mean could I survive it in the sense that only my house doesn't have electricity but the "food supply" places still do, then yes. Food, liquor, tobacco, women, and I can go the rest of my life with no electricity lol.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone born and raised with electricity, hell no. I've had to live a few days without electricity because of hurricanes and while I managed, it absolutely sucked. Even then, we had a generator.

No one would absolutely die without it unless your body requires machines to stay alive, not many would be will to part though.\

Want to see alt energy kick off? Turn off the power.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    As someone born and raised with electricity, hell no. I've had to live a few days without electricity because of hurricanes and while I managed, it absolutely sucked. Even then, we had a generator.

No one would absolutely die without it unless your body requires machines to stay alive, not many would be will to part though.\

Want to see alt energy kick off? Turn off the power.
    Quite the contrary. Turn off the power and everyone dies. See my above post.

I think it'd be pretty fun personally. it'll get people out and talking face to face, bringing out the community in people again instead of through just a computer screen. Plus it'll start teaching those willing to survive how to hunt and build with the world around them.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could make it. Would be rough going back to wood heat and carrying water from the basement upstairs however. But with 14 aces , natural spring for water which is gravity fed into the basement, a country boy can survive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lilstank View Post
    no one and i mean NO ONE would be prepared for a national power outage for a year
    That is not true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Quite the contrary. Turn off the power and everyone dies. See my above post.
    Bullshit. Some would, because they would have a heart attack having to work for their food for a change. But millions would survive. If not billions.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be too worried about me, but without electricity the country itself will start to fail. then you'll have looters, pillagers and all sorts of assholes roaming about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But millions would survive.
    Oh, so it would only be a 99% mortality rate.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is not true.
    Almost no one would. Especially not lone survivalists raised on Cold War era fantasies of the Lone Macho Survivor.

And society would absolutely not survive. Turn the lights off for a year and it's never turning back on.

Most likely survivors would be military instalations, some (very few and remote) pastoral and fishing communities and that's about it.

Again. You depend on power and technology in ways you rarely grasp.

Most agriculture would collapse in the absence of power to run farm equipment, access to irrigation, fertilizers, insecticides.

Livestock would die off without feed, antibiotics, vaccines etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably would.. easily even. My father actually pretty much lives without need of electricity whenever he wants to. And I am really used to cold winters.
    I can sew, cook, eat pretty much anything, I am educated blacksmith, I've lived alot in the forest and I actually kinda would like to see somekind reset in this world sometimes. Ofc the comfort of nowadays living of average person is something that is hard to let go.

But I would be able to live without electricity most likely. Same goes for my whole family and probably for atleast half of the other Finns.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Oh, so it would only be a 99% mortality rate.
    Many would die without electricity. And many would survive. Even it is only a small number in comparison to over 6 billion. I think I would survive longer than most. The greatest danger would come from looters and thieves. Marshall law would need to be declared and those shot on site. It would be chaos for sure. But mankind would adjust and go on.

If the lack of electricity didn't kill you in some way, the ensuing riots probably would. It would get real ugly out there, real quick.