10+ Year Old Account

That picture and your avatar share a curious similarity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    That picture and your avatar share a curious similarity.
    Yeah, they're both shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Yeah, they're both shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    [IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132251258/Reactions/%5BHorribleSubs%5D%20Mob%20Psycho%20100%20-%2005%20%5B720p%5D.mkv_snapshot_10.51_%5B2016.08.16_17.10.26%5D.jpg[IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    who's best girl in oreimo discuss
    Spoiler: 

Tales of Zestiria the X - 8/10 (Very good)

I was planning on watching the first three dubbed episodes (dubs come out weekly now), but damn the show is so good I watched the other 3 episodes subbed. I just couldn't wait! My most favorite airing anime ATM (outside of Thunderbolt Fantasy, which is a marionette). The two part OVA was incredible, hope we get a Tales of Besteria the X anime. A shame that we won't get a western port of the game until next year. My only complaint is about immersion: Aleesha is a very under-protected princess, both physically and tactically. She wear a mini-skirt to battle, most egregious when she is violently tossed aside along the ground and sustains absolutely no visible scrapes or bruises on her legs. Tactically, the royal monarch rides out to a possibly dangerous event with... three standard mooks to protect her. At a public event where possible assassins may lurk around every corner, she has absolutely NO BODYGUARDS WHATSOEVER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthilan View Post
    Spoiler: 
    Mother fuckin' best girl!
    You, I like you.

Going to start newest episode of Rewrite - I am not sure what to think after last week.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I don't think DxD is bad"- @Schirmy 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Qualidea code went from average to interesting in the last episode, omg that ending.

"I don't think DxD is bad"- @Schirmy 2016

15+ Year Old Account
    can anyone here draw

because i really think we should make a vn it'd be so cool. we already have programmers and writers here, we only need some artists

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    can anyone here draw

because i really think we should make a vn it'd be so cool. we already have programmers and writers here, we only need some artists
    ms paint professional here

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    can anyone here draw

well, one punch man shows you don't need artists
    fate stay night shows you don't need writers (as long as it's an eroge)

- - - Updated - - -

ms paint professional here
    have the rebellion cake song

Just finally got around to watching Orange 7 (just before Orange 8 drops), and while I really liked the episode it seemed extremely incongruous that they used several of those traditional "anime outtake" face/eye styles when they had never done so before. Kind of ruined part of the immersion for me.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm srs here guys if we did it we can put it on steam greenlight and make it big

we could be the next katawa shoujo

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://67.media.tumblr.com/57d33055414f16e17fae2bfc0ce02352/tumblr_ob9gs8L8C71sz111so1_540.gif[/\IMG]

I would have 4/5 lolis and you guys would just call me a pedo.
    i'm still trying to figure out when i lost this title

I keep forgetting about nono for waifu

Last edited by bals; 2016-08-21 at 06:27 AM.

(It's past midnight in Utah-land, so I'm going to post since I just spent a few hours putting this together and am antsy to get it out here.)

Spice and Wolf: Final

Once again I was so late last week that it became a two-fer, just like the first six episodes of the season. The vague recollections of my original impression of S2 have more or less been borne out: I preferred this arc significantly more than the last one, and that I feel S1 is superior to S2.

Spice and Wolf S2: Episodes 7-12
    Spoiler: 

As I watched S2 I was struck strongly how both arcs have exactly the same point: Lawrence chooses Holo over wealth. This insistence on proving the point , however, confuses me. During S1 I never had the impression that Lawrence was a hard-headed merchant who only cared for money. Sure he pesters Holo about her debt, but that is just banter with a small sliver of truth. By the end of the first season it was abundantly clear that they had formed a substantial bond with each other. If I were asked at that point whether Lawrence would part with Holo for profit I would have emphatically answered no. Yet, for some strange reason the entirety of the second season is devoted to proving what we already know.

Anyway, moving beyond that general critique there are two primary reasons I like this arc more than the last one:

1) Holo is back. Like her or hate her, her uniqueness is one of the main claims to fame for the series. When she is absent for several episodes the engagement of the series can't help but suffer. Moreover, now that Holo is back she reciprocates more of Lawrence's kindness. Yes, there are the quips and games and endless meddling but we are given many more instances where she is openly fond of him. She is seen resting her head on his lap, content to let him stroke her head. When he kisses her hand she is actually taken aback for a moment. And when she really is scared, she reaches out to him instinctively. Again, I know this doesn't impress a lot of people but it is a fairly large advance compared to her previous attitudes.

The other aspect of Holo that I disliked during my original viewing but appreciated the second was her suggestion that they separate. I recall feeling quite disgusted at her suggestion that they separate. I felt like they had already been over this and that it was just drama in the making again. However, this time around it made a lot more sense. Previous suggestions of their separation originated with Lawrence, and were often born of practical concerns. This time it was from Holo, and this made all the difference.

Holo is old. For her all things are transient. We see this clearly illustrated when Lawrence comments that people change steadily over time, and her response is, "Yes, just like rivers." Lawrence can't even fathom what she means as he lacks the perspective of time that she does. On this journey she is happier than she has been in a long time, possibly happier than she has ever been in her life. Simply to have everything feel new every day is a gift. But even all this excitement can't shield her from the realization that it will not last. Everything comes to an end. Frankly, when she says that she's accepted Lawrence will eventually die she's just lying to herself. She knows he will die and that there is nothing she can do about it. It reminded me of a scene from Babylon 5 where an immortal being reflects on the burden of his own timelessness:

"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

As I watched the series this time it really sunk in just how burdened Holo was with the interminable future. Unfortunately, the scene itself was actually sloppy with some strange cuts that made me feel disoriented. In the end Holo's fear is not addressed and is actually not even meaningful for the rest of the series; it is swept under the rug as Lawrence tries to reconcile with her while not even understanding what she is upset about. I found this quite disappointing in light of how potent this insight into Holo was.

2) The side characters are superior. In the first arc Amarty wasn't bad...he just wasn't great. He did the job he needed to for the story and that was it. Lawrence's merchant friend Mark and his apprentice were similar. I would have loved to see more of Dian (bird woman) but that was not to be.

By comparison Eve is a far more dynamic character. She exhibited just enough self-contradictory aspects to make her feel real. Originally introduced as mysterious and aloof she is actually quite gregarious given the opportunity. Her later deceptions in no way negate this. If anything, they reinforce that coexisting with her cutthroat attitude is a desperate need to be liked and understood that never completely went away. Her life has taught her the hard way that she has to guard herself carefully, but it hasn't extinguished that original spark. Even when she betrays Lawrence it is fear, not avarice or hatred, that motivates her. That she leaves him with the deed to the inn further illustrates that she bears him no ill will. Ultimately she is a sad character who is on a path of self-destruction. Feeling the world close in on her she pursues her ambitions with a mad defiance, if only to prove that she has lived. It's why her last line to Lawrence, that she has hope, is such a sad lie. (That said...can't Lawrence win a single fight in this entire series? Just once?)

Rigoro the scribe and his assistant nun Merta didn't enjoy as much development as Eve, but the way they were presented it hinted at so much more. While Rigoro is clearly educated and wealthy, we do not know his background. His fortune seems to be greater than just what a town scribe would earn so it is likely inherited along with his mansion. The deep cellars with old books would attest to this as well. However, his family is conspicuously absent and in its place is Merta. She clearly can't be his wife, yet she is continually alone with him serving as companion, assistant, and secretary. During the credits we see that Merta goes to Rigoro and that he embraces and comforts her. Aside from her Rigoro avoids the company of others, despite his friendly nature. The final piece of the puzzle is the greenhouse, a dream that is simultaneously extravagant and simple. He not only takes great pride in it, but clearly finds peace within as well.

Taken together, these paint an interesting picture of somebody who has suffered great emotional privation and who now appreciates the simple and quiet beauty of his home and garden. It tantalizes us with the story of two people who have mutual respect and understanding, grown to affection, that cannot be pursued. But rather than view it as a tragic tale, it strikes me as very sweet that perhaps in this world these two people were lucky enough to find a measure of happiness in each other.

Spice and Wolf in Reflection
    Spoiler: 
    In the end, while this rewatch gave me many new insights into the series my overall assessment remained the same. I have both seasons rated as an 8/10 on MAL, but if I were given more subtlety of ranking I would give S1 a solid 8/10 while S2 strays closer to a 7.5/10. If season two had more focus on side characters like Eve and Rigoro, woven into their interactions with our main duo, it could have been quite masterful. Unfortunately, the unnecessary emphasis on Holo and Lawrence's uncertain-but-not relationship overshadowed these brilliant side personalities.

In the final analysis, what I have to give S&W the most credit for is Holo as a personality. Even as infuriating as she is at times, I know of no other character like her. I never found myself bored while she was on screen. Her relationship with Lawrence is similarly interesting. Even if I was irritated by the way some aspects of it were handled, they form a unique pair in anime with how their relationship forms and manifests itself in their exchanges. Their development is the shining centerpiece of the story.

That said, I fear that this interplay came at the cost of story. It's as icedwarrior lamented in his post for 7-9: that once again the plot was about the personality conflicts between Holo and Lawrence. After a while everything is about whether Lawrence and Holo are getting closer or further apart. They can't just let their relationship slide for a few episodes. It ultimately robs us of the ability to experience anything else in the world. So even as the names and places change, there begins to creep in a sense of sameness about everything that happens. I suspect this is yet another contributing factor to why I prefer S1 over S2: things are still fresh in the first season before the repetition sets in.

And with this, I leave one of my favorite AMVs: Spanish Wolf. I find myself often returning to it as it captures the best the series has to offer: the joy of living and traveling, the give and take in the turbulent partnership between Lawrence and Holo and the romance that unfolds and deepens over several seasons. And of course, the rampant alcoholism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will the real best girl please stand up?