Honestly I'm more annoyed at flash being out of character now.

If she is MJ, as a redhead I will be offended (that's a joke).
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Has it actually been 100% confirmed she's MJ yet? Because I've seen stuff saying she is and an almost equal amount of stuff saying she's playing "Michelle" a different character altogether.
    Rumour i've heard is that she'll be called Michelle, and then reveal her nickname as MJ at the end of the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Rumour i've heard is that she'll be called Michelle, and then reveal her nickname as MJ at the end of the film.
    So basically, they're nodding towards the original character by having her nickname be MJ, but she's NOT Mary-Jane Parker.

If so, casting is totally valid and people need to quit bitching.

(Inb4 people complain they changed her name from Mary-Jane because they thought it would be racist.)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

"Hulu has placed a series order for Runaways. Runaways will be modeled after the popular Marvel Comic book line. The series comes from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (Gossip Girl).

The show will focus on a group of teenagers who have to face the fact that their parents are taking part in a massive evil crime organization. The Marvel series was created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona.

The series will be written by Schwartz and Savage for Hulu, they will focus on how these characters have to come together and unite against a common enemy. Both Schwartz and Savage are long-time fans of the series.

“I’m a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn’t be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life,” said Schwartz.

Mouse over video for audio

Savage is looking forward to getting to work on the project.

“Josh and I can’t wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu.”

Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, explained that this series was meant for being told and explored in the television format.

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”"

http://heroichollywood.com/marvels-r...s-coming-hulu/

also theres a rumour going around that shocker might be in spider-man
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Ugh, Hulu. Was hoping Netflix since I have a subscription there. Any idea if it's going to be behind Hulu's pay service?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If so, casting is totally valid and people need to quit bitching
    Completely changing a character to be a new character so you can more safely cast an ethnic actor is even worse than if they had just replaced Mary Jane being white. Like I said, really shitty that the only valid conversation is to praise colorwashing and hate white washing, when they are the same principles. Peter and Mary Jane is something too iconic, so I feel that going to source material is the only way to do this correctly. In any case, we don't even know who she is so no point talking about it now.

Essentially outside of main characters, they are starting to force non white actors into these roles. Their decisions are just inconsistent and strange, to say the least. Movie about Vikings where everyone is Nordic in heritage? Make it a black chick. Movie about Peter and MJ, make it a black chick. Movie with an ancient mystic? Make it an androgynous white woman. B/c yeah, all of those choices make sense.

But personally, I don't really care. This will be the first spiderman that feels right to me, regardless of anyone's color. Sam Raimi's first movie was the coolest thing around when it came out, but if I'm honest with myself it didn't feel like the comics I had read growing up or anything he's in now.
    BAD WOLF

Michelle = MJ

What the fuck those are not even the same letters for an abriviation.

No one knows why hollywood is going so PC/SJW on their movies but it makes no sense.
    Regardless spidy movies have always been crap i don't think this new reboot will make any diffrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Michelle = MJ

What the fuck those are not even the same letters for an abriviation.

No one knows why hollywood is going so PC/SJW on their movies but it makes no sense.
    Regardless spidy movies have always been crap i don't think this new reboot will make any diffrence.
    someone who clearly hasnt seen civil war.

did you ever think maybe her last name starts with a j? nobody ever said her name would be mary jane, just that her nickname would be mj, her name could be michelle jumbowumbo and mj would make sense.

theyre going "sjw" because they want their movies, especially a movie like spider-man, to reflect the world we live in.

new york is one of the most diverse places in america it makes sense that there would be more than just white people. especially since "white people in new york" has become such a criticized trope
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    someone who clearly hasnt seen civil war.

did you ever think maybe her last name starts with a j? nobody ever said her name would be mary jane, just that her nickname would be mj, her name could be michelle jumbowumbo and mj would make sense.

theyre going "sjw" because they want their movies, especially a movie like spider-man, to reflect the world we live in.

new york is one of the most diverse places in america it makes sense that there would be more than just white people. especially since "white people in new york" has become such a criticized trope
    Unless the person is written to be black/from a diffrent ethnics then white in the comic book they should remain white in the movie there is no if buts or what not.
    This is how you keep cannon lore of a character.

I've seen civil war and?
    Just because the suit they put spidy in looks cool doesn't mean the movie will be good you are delusional to think otherwise because it has been proven that every one who touches spider-man franchise outside the comic books and the original marvel animated series FAILS so hard that preaty much no one wants to work with them ever again.

Start from actors to directors to studios.

Do not care what NY is all i care is for the characters to stay as close to the cannon of the story as they can.
    If this was Miles spidy i would have no problem for an actor of diffrent ethnicity to be picked because he isn't white in the comics but it isn't.

Again you are delusional to think otherwise because it is not cannon and if they want to add diversity they should bring on new heroes/characters in to the universe and mold them the way they want them to be and integrate them in to it not just randomly swap genders or ethnicity because "REASONS BLACK LIVES MATTER or some other bullshit like that"

Unless the person is written to be black/from a diffrent ethnics then white in the comic book they should remain white in the movie there is no if buts or what not.

I've seen civil war and?
    Just because the suit they put spidy in looks cool doesn't mean the movie will be good you are delusional to think otherwise because it has been proven that every one who touches spider-man franchise outside the comic books and the original marvel animated series FAILS so hard that preaty much no one wants to work with them ever again.

Do not care what NY is all i care is for the characters to stay as close to the cannon of the story as they can.
    If this was Miles spidy i would have no problem for an actor of diffrent ethnicity to be picked because he isn't white in the comics but it isn't.

Again you are delusional to think otherwise because it is not cannon and if they want to add diversity they should bring on new heroes/characters in to the universe and mold them the way they want them to be and integrate them in to it not just randomly swap genders or ethnicity because "REASONS BLACK LIVES MATTER or some other bullshit like that"
    the movies arent part of the 616 universe in the first place.

I've seen civil war and?

It just shows that Marvel puts a lot of importance on race. Most people would just call that racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the movies arent part of the 616 universe in the first place.
    It does not matter MJ is white with red hair and a model those are 3 things that come to mind when some one says Spiderman and MJ in 1 line.

A white super model with red hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It just shows that Marvel puts a lot of importance on race. Most people would just call that racism.
    It its racism tworwards whites at this point because lore cannon characters are been re-designed because blacks/latinos are a thing now and are all over the media...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Completely changing a character to be a new character so you can more safely cast an ethnic actor is even worse than if they had just replaced Mary Jane being white.
    They're not "completely changing a character." They're making a new original character, who has nothing in common with Mary Jane Parker EXCEPT the nickname MJ.

This isn't colour washing an existing character to be more PC, it's making a new character and giving her a familiar nick name as a nod to the comics history.

Valkyrie and The Ancient One I agree with, because that was ACTUALLY shitty casting. From what we've seen so far, the "MJ" casting doesn't fit this category.

Of course if "Michelle" is a code name and she's really playing Mary Jane, her name is added to the list...

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're not "completely changing a character." They're making a new original character, who has nothing in common with Mary Jane Parker EXCEPT the nickname MJ.
    Is she Peter's romantic interest? If not, ok. If it's just an easter egg, great. But let's be honest with ourselves, that's not what is happening here. It's just a trend of weird decisions from them. Maybe I'm in the middle here, b/c I like diversity but also can't be so forceful with it because it's the inverse. It's polarizing and ruins a lot of creativity these days. We don't need to tiptoe around like every movie, every book, every work of art made is one large reparation package for non-white people. It's just silly.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Is she Peter's romantic interest? If not, ok. If it's just an easter egg, great. But let's be honest with ourselves, that's not what is happening here. It's just a trend of weird decisions from them. Maybe I'm in the middle here, b/c I like diversity but also can't be so forceful with it because it's the inverse. It's polarizing and ruins a lot of creativity these days. We don't need to tiptoe around like every movie, every book, every work of art made is one large reparation package for non-white people. It's just silly.
    When you find yourself arguing that what is meant to an original character must be a colour wash because she's Peter Parkers girlfriend (which across the thread seems to be her only defining feature....aside from having red hair.....and being good to look at) then that's not speaking particularly highly of the original character is it?

I see where you're coming from, you do find yourself mentally ticking off check boxes these days when when watching films but in this case it's worth asking "what are we saving here?". According to this thread I've got tea towels with more character than Mary Jane, why the fuss?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think she is playing the love interest... I mean from the tiny fragments we know she's seems to be filling that role. The problem with using the traditional Mary Jane character in that role is that Peter in the MCU doesn't attend a normal high school. He's in some genius STEM school, so if they're going to be changing her character enough that she's there with him, they might as well just make a totally new character, because the soul of the character has already changed to such an extent.

I think we're in similar boats. While diversity is a great thing and I think it needs to be encouraged, I would MUCH rather they either create new characters (as they've done here) or better yet, use one of the VAST number of PoC (or should it be CoC, Characters of Colour) that already exists within the established universe, instead of just recasting existing characters and calling anyone that disagrees with the change racist. *cough* Valkyrie *cough*

Kinda unrelated, do you think when they're casting a character solely to be a love interest, the actor playing the lead has any input? I mean if you're going to make your feelings believable, it helps if you have something to work off.

i say fuck mary jane and have pete bang black cat but thats just me

Thor and Dr Strange end credit scene in Thor: Ragnarok.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking something more along the lines of Mjolnir gets trashed at the start of the movie, they go on an intergalactic road trip to try and fix it, eventaually ending up in New York where Doctor Strange binds it to Thor's Life Force, as was done in the comics.