Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Solution; use your beam laser, not the photon cannon. The auto-targeting means there won't be stray shots. It's not as fast, but in those big battles, you're usually not getting focus-fired, so it's not as big a deal.
    Is the beam laser supposed to auto shoot for 1-2 seconds and then overheat? looked more like a bug for me when I tried that one =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Is the beam laser supposed to auto shoot for 1-2 seconds and then overheat? looked more like a bug for me when I tried that one =/
    Yes and no. You can "tap-fire" to let it cool down and get more DPS. It's supposed to overheat if you maintain it that long (I think), but you can tap it and get a bit more oomph.

Deleted
    been on this planet for ages now, with 1 species left to discover, driving me mad! cant find it anywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    been on this planet for ages now, with 1 species left to discover, driving me mad! cant find it anywhere!
    Some points to remember, from my own experience (some of this is guesswork, I'll mark those with an *)

1> Some species are more rare than others. Predators in particular can be hard to track down.
    2*> It appears some critters only come out during the day or night, or at dusk/dawn, and some only come out during storms, or not. And every combination thereof. If someone only comes out at night during storms, it can be a PITA to track down.
    3> Sometimes, a planet that seems totally rocky might have a pool somewhere, and in that pool, water-based critters. I had this happen on one moon; looked like a rocky ball, was flying around for about 10 minutes doing various things, eventually saw ONE single pool of water, split into two parts. In one part, the one species I was missing. I stayed on the moon a bit longer, never found another pool of water.
    4*> The dot in your visor showing whether an animal's analysed or not (green/red) seems to show up based on the proportional combination of the animal's size and distance from you. Stuff a long way off that's huge will be easily visible, stuff that's tiny you've got to get much closer to before it shows up. I've run into critters so small (butterfly-type) that even standing next to them, I couldn't see them past the dot in the visor; they were basically microscopic. Without the visor, I'd have never found them (I thought my game was glitching until I got real close with the scanner up, and it analysed 'em). Was lucky they were all over one outpost I landed at.
    5> Some critters like caves. Your planet doesn't have caves? It might have underground tunnels.

Deleted
    Some points to remember, from my own experience (some of this is guesswork, I'll mark those with an *)

1> Some species are more rare than others. Predators in particular can be hard to track down.
    2*> It appears some critters only come out during the day or night, or at dusk/dawn, and some only come out during storms, or not. And every combination thereof. If someone only comes out at night during storms, it can be a PITA to track down.
    3> Sometimes, a planet that seems totally rocky might have a pool somewhere, and in that pool, water-based critters. I had this happen on one moon; looked like a rocky ball, was flying around for about 10 minutes doing various things, eventually saw ONE single pool of water, split into two parts. In one part, the one species I was missing. I stayed on the moon a bit longer, never found another pool of water.
    4*> The dot in your visor showing whether an animal's analysed or not (green/red) seems to show up based on the proportional combination of the animal's size and distance from you. Stuff a long way off that's huge will be easily visible, stuff that's tiny you've got to get much closer to before it shows up. I've run into critters so small (butterfly-type) that even standing next to them, I couldn't see them past the dot in the visor; they were basically microscopic. Without the visor, I'd have never found them (I thought my game was glitching until I got real close with the scanner up, and it analysed 'em). Was lucky they were all over one outpost I landed at.
    5> Some critters like caves. Your planet doesn't have caves? It might have underground tunnels.
    nice tips, didn't know a lot of that. I gave up though, fairly certain that planet did not have water, if it did, i was never going to find it, already spent ages flying from area to area, running around areas, never saw water. didn't see storms either. i probably should have checked caves more, didn't know some only live in caves!

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, there's always the "fuck it, I just don't get that 200k units" factor. I don't spend too much time hunting the last one down, typically.

Deleted
    found my nicest planet yet, covered in snow, big green trees and lots of mountains, looks like canada
    only problem is, its rich in gold and carbon (trees) but thats about it
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2016-08-21 at 12:44 AM.

Got offered a trade on Craigslist. My uncharted 4 for no mans sky. I'm guessing he played it and didn't like it because he said he only played it once. Wondering if I should do it. I like all types of games and don't mind a grind as long as the game keeps you wanting to play. Will I like it? I judge games based on how many hours I can put into it. If I'm paying 60 bucks for a game I expect at least 35 hours out of it.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Another thing I think people should consider: You don't need a 48slot ship, honestly. Larger exosuit inventory is of course useful, but even there, I'm sure you can get away with far less than the max slots. If you find a ship design you like thats less than 48 slots, who cares? It's not like gathering resources or earning money in the game is very hard. Just enjoy the ride and the exploration and upgrade the ship as you go IMHO rather than grinding it out in one system till your eyeballs bleed.

IMHO there should be way less upgrades available on each planet to force you into exploring more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    yes, And they have, such is the wonder of procedural generation. You only have to make a formula and that makes billions of worlds on its own.

The universe creation worked fine. The sandbox is there.
    The problem is there are not enough toys to play with in the sandbox.
    Yeah, that is basically the problem. It is a cool proceduraly generated sandbox sitting on top of a $2 generic steam survival game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    found my nicest planet yet, covered in snow, big green trees and lots of mountains, looks like canada
    only problem is, its rich in gold and carbon (trees) but thats about it
    Got a screenshot? I need something other than purple and green tentacle deserts to keep me going

This is what I usually get: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8476/2...64d59c1d_o.jpg

Pretty nontheless. This game is a beauty to look at.

Can't wait for a planet like this: https://i.imgsafe.org/53d31dd702.jpg
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-21 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Another thing I think people should consider: You don't need a 48slot ship, honestly. Larger exosuit inventory is of course useful, but even there, I'm sure you can get away with far less than the max slots. If you find a ship design you like thats less than 48 slots, who cares? It's not like gathering resources or earning money in the game is very hard. Just enjoy the ride and the exploration and upgrade the ship as you go IMHO rather than grinding it out in one system till your eyeballs bleed.

IMHO there should be way less upgrades available on each planet to force you into exploring more.
    You are right. I think I fucked up my game by grinding out a max-slot ship too early, and I'm still a looong way from the centre of the galaxy. My exosuit is at 44 now. Other than going for the trophies I don't have much to aim for. The thing is, salvaging tech from crashed ships is much more profitable and less time consuming than mining. Each ship will give you at least 500 gold and 500 emeril, plus dynamic resonators, cubes, those globe things that sell for a shit ton, omegon etc.

Even though my ship is maxed out, I decided to see how much the 40+ slot ships were selling for. One guy wanted 100,000,000! I guess Hello Games really didn't want people buying their way into the best ships.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Got a screenshot? I need something other than purple and green tentacle deserts to keep me going

This is what I usually get: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8476/2...64d59c1d_o.jpg

I actually prefer the dead planets for some reason, I think it's the sense of loneliness and isolation (this would have been a really nice shot if I could remove the UI on PS4 ):

My current ship:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post

sorry went to bed shortly after posting that, ill take a screenshot later, but be warned, i have to play on the lowest graphics on my potato PC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You are right. I think I fucked up my game by grinding out a max-slot ship too early, and I'm still a looong way from the centre of the galaxy. My exosuit is at 44 now. Other than going for the trophies I don't have much to aim for. The thing is, salvaging tech from crashed ships is much more profitable and less time consuming than mining. Each ship will give you at least 500 gold and 500 emeril, plus dynamic resonators, cubes, those globe things that sell for a shit ton, omegon etc.

Even though my ship is maxed out, I decided to see how much the 40+ slot ships were selling for. One guy wanted 100,000,000! I guess Hello Games really didn't want people buying their way into the best ships.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually prefer the dead planets for some reason, I think it's the sense of loneliness and isolation (this would have been a really nice shot if I could remove the UI on PS4 ):

thats the same ship i have!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    It seems you didn't actually read the article

AKA Sean is saying that the world is not ideal

pcgamer catching on to what he said
    Sounds like classic "Sean Speak" to me.. ie.. not giving an answer and instead giving some wishy washy response. Other game developers have no problem detailing if they plan to charge for future content. You've more chance of running into another player in NMS than you have of getting a straight yes/no answer to straight forward questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It's not much fun, but you can flip items at a station for pretty serious cash as well. IE: Had a station paying double for Pearls and Resonators, so I just bought all that I could off NPCs stopping at the station then sold them to the market station. Able to make a quick and painless (albeit boring) 150k every 5mins or so that way. Although its probably better to do the buying at a trade post then go to the station, as those posts see far more ships than the stations.

Another thing I noticed: Each system only generates a handful of NPCs, so I've even had 2 of the exact same NPC land before and they have the same inventory and same double pay so thats another way you can flip items is pay attn to which ones pay double for what as well.

I did some station trading for a while but the slow menus when you interact with NPCs started to do my head in. Now I have over 10 million credits and nothing to spend it on.

There's an alloy called Lemmium and the description says "Used extensively in starship freighter construction due to it's (sic) sheer strength." It's not stackable so I'm going to sell mine, but I wonder if it's going to be used for those "huge freighters" that Sean Murray promised were coming to the game?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it will be used for that - it's an alloy, you probably already have or will find a blueprint to produce it. So sell away.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Solution; use your beam laser, not the photon cannon. The auto-targeting means there won't be stray shots. It's not as fast, but in those big battles, you're usually not getting focus-fired, so it's not as big a deal.
    I actually prefer phasers as my primary weapon, although I still had this ptoblem. And enemy moved out of my phaser lock right as I clicked to fire, and my phaser auto locked onto the friendly ship turret and I became an enemy. Bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a friend that got frustrated with the game after a couple of hours of play, got piss ed off at how barren and lifeless the game was, etc. And he sounded just like every other person complaining.

Last night I sat down with him, explained to him how to upgrade his ship, multi tool and exosuit, explained to him how to find high class planets with lush environments and rare resources. Explained much of the game to him and now he's loving the shit out of it.

So my analysis proves more and more right all the time. The people bad mouthing the game were those who spent very little time because the game did not show them how to play and they got frustrated and bored with not know g what they were "supposed" to do in a sandbox.

Once you explain to them how to play and the open ended nature of game play of sandbox, and that Preston Garvey is not going to hold their hand through tutorial modes, they start having a ton of fun.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Sounds like classic "Sean Speak" to me.. ie.. not giving an answer and instead giving some wishy washy response. Other game developers have no problem detailing if they plan to charge for future content. You've more chance of running into another player in NMS than you have of getting a straight yes/no answer to straight forward questions.
    Giving you their current plans is an answer. Current plan is no paid content.

Admitting those current plans could change based on future situations is being honest.

Mountains out of fucking molehills here.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-.../1100-6442802/

Are mods even ok to use considering that uploads are shared across everyone?