Thread: System Cooling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I didn't get photos, but I did have the fan installed incorrectly. I turned it on and felt for air flow. It was flowing straight to my GPU! Glad I checked. I also went ahead and remounted the fan so it blows front to back instead of vertically. I can now feel heat coming from the case which, in this case, is a good thing.

The second fan does not fit. I'm not sure how much a larger case would help honestly. It's not fitting width wise due to the memory. The fan won't sit as low as it should for optimal cooling with the memory sticks where they are. Its almost as if it would be better to move the GPU down a slot and install vertically. Would that not help with the GPU cooling? Which is where I am today. I was looking at temps inside the comp. after about 5 hours of playing WoW the GPU was at 56 degrees. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but the app I was looking at show it with the flame (hot) next to it. All other components were fine.

So next up GPU cooling options.

I'm looking around Google now for information on cooling GPU and what temps they should be. I'm reposting my information in a new thread to concentrate specifically on the GPU.

MODS - This can be closed.
    Thanks!
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    there is no Need to go Liquid cooling it,s noise and sorta expensive. and often breaks down..

everything else in your system are fine. u can easily go down to a 650 watt Psu. and also keep the i7 do not go down to a i5. trust me. you will suffer Fps problems and various other things if u try and watch videos,streams or movies while playing cpu intens games like wow.

so Keep the i7 and do not go amd
    I own 2 AiO Corsair H60-100 Watercooler now 3 years and had no problems. I5 6600K runs idle at 25° under load 43-44° and my 290x runs idle at 30° and under load 50-52° but i replaced the stockfans with Corsair ML120 Pro Fans.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    I got a 6700K and a DH15 myself and its great. The DH15 is clearly the best Air Cooler, only Problem is your Ramsticks can't be too large, or the 2nd Fan won't fit.
    It looks so ugly though if you have a case window. I think the cheap corsair single loop water coolers look better for about the same price same temps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It looks so ugly though if you have a case window. I think the cheap corsair single loop water coolers look better for about the same price same temps.
    Who the fuck gives a damn how it looks. Results matter. And most AIO Watercoolers are loud as fuck.

Deleted
    If it doesn't fit.

NH-U14S is a very good cooler.

Plus, if you mount 2 fans on that one, it'll be practically the same as NH-D15

Noctua makes all around great coolers.

Oh and regarding Garbage 10.

Trash 7 is much better at garbageing btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Noctua DH15 is a beast
    *chuckles* I have the D14... good to see that Noctua made an even bigger cooler. Can't be happier with my D14 though. Would trust Noctua with my cooling needs again in a heartbeat, even if they are on the expensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    *chuckles* I have the D14... good to see that Noctua made an even bigger cooler. Can't be happier with my D14 though. Would trust Noctua with my cooling needs again in a heartbeat, even if they are on the expensive side.
    Yeah, the D15 was out when I bought mine, but according to specs, it was not going to fit my case. 1cm too large, lol. Can't complain though, the d14 is serving me very well.

Who the fuck gives a damn how it looks. Results matter. And most AIO Watercoolers are loud as fuck.
    I do. I had a noctua dh-14 in my last build and I didn't like the way it looked. I don't hear my watercooler at all. It actually gets better temps albeit a different CPU.

Deleted
    Atleast you guys don't have a Noctua Fetish like I do :<

If I could I'd remove the PSU Fan and changed it for a Noctua one if it didn't mean voiding my warranty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I own 2 AiO Corsair H60-100 Watercooler now 3 years and had no problems. I5 6600K runs idle at 25° under load 43-44° and my 290x runs idle at 30° and under load 50-52° but i replaced the stockfans with Corsair ML120 Pro Fans.
    i have owned 5 or 6 H80I all broke within 1 week... either a pump or well Pump problems mainly.. and also no your Cpu isnt running at 43-44 and your 290x is not running 50-52.. both is a lie and simply not possible.. obviously if gpu is watercooled sure. but with no Watercooling that wont happen..

as for Cpu there is simply no way your cpu only gets to mid 40s when all reviews on those units shows 60+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I do. I had a noctua dh-14 in my last build and I didn't like the way it looked. I don't hear my watercooler at all. It actually gets better temps albeit a different CPU.
    thats because your used to the noise..

I built this PC about 6 weeks ago, I haven't heard any noise. Prior to that I had the noctua since I built my last PC which was an i7 930...
    I am using a Hydro Series H115i.

- - - Updated - - -

i have owned 5 or 6 H80I all broke within 1 week.....
    Sorry I don't believe they all broke within 7 days.

i have owned 5 or 6 H80I all broke within 1 week... either a pump or well Pump problems mainly.. and also no your Cpu isnt running at 43-44 and your 290x is not running 50-52.. both is a lie and simply not possible.. obviously if gpu is watercooled sure. but with no Watercooling that wont happen..

as for Cpu there is simply no way your cpu only gets to mid 40s when all reviews on those units shows 60+.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes my GPU is watercooled and i use the Corsair 540 Air Case and i replaced the stockfans with the new 25€ corsair fans that run at 60% speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Reviews show temps under stress test load, not normal load. So it is entirely possible theat under load, like playing a game, he has those temps.

Especially with the more recent ones, the pumps on the AIOs have gotten less noisy. Depending on if the case it is in has sound deadening or not, it may be near silent. What he is saying is entirely possible and not necessarily because he is used to it.

I still recommend air, mainly because of the price/performance. AIO and water cooling in general is just not worth the cost. You can get an air cooler that is within a couple degrees of the AIOs for quite a bit cheaper. Air is usually quieter as well, but with good sound deadening cases, that just doesn't really matter much anymore. What you use really depends on what is more important to you, price or aesthetics. Some people just do not like the look of big bulky air coolers. Those people typically have windows as well, so are more likely to hear their pump, but as said, pumps are getting quieter and quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Reviews show temps under stress test load, not normal load. So it is entirely possible theat under load, like playing a game, he has those temps.

Especially with the more recent ones, the pumps on the AIOs have gotten less noisy. Depending on if the case it is in has sound deadening or not, it may be near silent. What he is saying is entirely possible and not necessarily because he is used to it.

I still recommend air, mainly because of the price/performance. AIO and water cooling in general is just not worth the cost. You can get an air cooler that is within a couple degrees of the AIOs for quite a bit cheaper. Air is usually quieter as well, but with good sound deadening cases, that just doesn't really matter much anymore. What you use really depends on what is more important to you, price or aesthetics. Some people just do not like the look of big bulky air coolers. Those people typically have windows as well, so are more likely to hear their pump, but as said, pumps are getting quieter and quieter.
    thats not exactly how noise dampning works lol... the noise comes from Air being Forced through small holes.. and creating wind tunnels

15+ Year Old Account
    Go with AIO water cooling (like Corsair Hydro h110i), replace 1070 with 1080 and use that 4k monitor. You'll be able to run 4k at details set to 10.
    1080p resolution won't cut it since you seem to want a beautiful picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Source? My first AIO setup was way quieter than my air setup.
    Besides, who wants a 1.5kg behemoth hanging from their motherboard? You bump the chassis a bit and it rips off the whole CPU socket, falls on the video card and pulverises it.
    But then again, water cooling is the quietest, better looking, but (way) more expensive solution.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

This is playing wow on a overclocked cpu:

This is a stress test on the pc. while playing wow(cause I can't be bothered closing it down):

I am using a corsair h100I
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2016-08-26 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Put links into pictures
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Go with AIO water cooling (like Corsair Hydro h110i), replace 1070 with 1080 and use that 4k monitor. You'll be able to run 4k at details set to 10.
    1080p resolution won't cut it since you seem to want a beautiful picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Source? My first AIO setup was way quieter than my air setup.
    Besides, who wants a 1.5kg behemoth hanging from their motherboard? You bump the chassis a bit and it rips off the whole CPU socket, falls on the video card and pulverises it.
    But then again, water cooling is the quietest, better looking, but (way) more expensive solution.
    Why an AIO Cooler? They are quite a bit more expensive for not much gain, and yes, they are noisier. For source, you could either go look at benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/.../H80iGT/7.html

which prove it, or just think about it for a minute. Both Air Coolers and AIO Coolers have fans, which make noise. AIO Coolers, In addition to the fans, are pushing the air through small radiator holes that can cause a whooshing noise and have a pump that makes noise. Air Coolers only moving part is fans. It's the only thing that can possibly make noise. If you go with something from Noctua or similar, they use near silent fans. Now sure, an AIO cooler can use near silent fans too, but simply the fact that it has a pump means it makes more noise. More moving parts=more noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have:
    gtx 1070
    i7-6700K
    NH-D15
    16GB ram

I've played on my 43" 4K television and it works perfectly well. I just need to have a better setup. Television is too close for comfortable playing right now, so I'm back down to my ASUS monitor for now. I may purchase two smaller 4K resolution monitors though instead of the 43" and leave that in my living room.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    This is playing wow on a overclocked cpu:

This is a stress test on the pc. while playing wow(cause I can't be bothered closing it down):

I am using a corsair h100I
    "Elapsed Time: 3 minutes"

Those temps aren't accurate since they'll rise quite a bit.

I always say that Watercooling isn't something you need. A good air cooler is enough for most people even though it's usually louder than a custom waterloop.

But then I look at my PC:

And know that watercooling is totally worth it

@Spaceshuttle: why do you feel the need to justify buying 16GB RAM? It's not really that expensive and you can expand 2x8GB later to 4x8GB if you ever need it.
    Last edited by Karon; 2016-08-26 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    But then I look at my PC:

And know that watercooling is totally worth it
    I'd much rather just have an ugly black box next to my desk as no one spends any time at all looking at my PC, just what is on the screen. Totally not worth it for something no one even looks at.