Thread: About Illidan

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

About Illidan

Anyone who is well-versed in Illidan's lore could you give me an explanation why he did the things he did?

I read Wowpedia, and it was stated there that he is power-hungry, and from what I gathered faked allegiance to the Burning Legion.

But why didn't Kil'Jaden kill him outright if Illidan was dancing outside of the Legion's plans and he even killed powerful nathrezim dreadlords? Why did the Legion still let him live then?

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post
    Anyone who is well-versed in Illidan's lore could you give me an explanation why he did the things he did?

I read Wowpedia, and it was stated there that he is power-hungry, and from what I gathered faked allegiance to the Burning Legion.

But why didn't Kil'Jaden kill him outright if Illidan was dancing outside of the Legion's plans and he even killed powerful nathrezim dreadlords? Why did the Legion still let him live then?
    Kil'Jaeden needed him to destroy Lich King by then, and Illidan was good enough at hiding his true intentions & pretending to be subservient. Compared to other demons, such as Archimonde, KJ is rather forgiving sometimes. He is willingly to give someone a chance if he thinks that someone can still be used. Gul'dan gave him the middle finger for a while in the Tomb of Sargeras, yet KJ didn't go all indignant and is still treating him well enough now.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Illidan did what was necessary to defend the night elven people, which included negotiating with Kil'Jaeden. Illidan never had allegiance to the Burning Legion but he did serve KJ as a barter agreement. Illidan was sent to kill the Lich King and failed, but as said above KJ is forgiving as he always gives second or even third chances. [Actually the Lich King was created by Kil'Jaeden as well but he had screwed over KJ too many times at that point and hence the assassination attempt.]

And why did Illidan create the second Well of Eternity?
    And adding up to this - why didn't he inform his night elf allies that he never served and never will serve the Legion and all of this just was a ruse?

I felt Illidan could have saved many lives if he just communicated his plans better - an example is the Eye of Sargeras scenario, or even while residing in Outland - he could have told the whole of Azeroth of his plans to infiltrate the Legion and destroy it from within as an inside man.

Why didn't he communicate better?

Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    Read the war of the ancients trilogy and the Illidan novel , WC3 part is retconned.

As for why he didn't , after the sundering he was kind of burned from everything, and in BC it is explained in the novel.
    Care to explain everything here?
    I don't have the book quite at hand you see - Oh and I only read what's necessary.
    I don't care for all the filler stuff in books. I want facts which I can research :P

And adding up to this - why didn't he inform his night elf allies that he never served and never will serve the Legion and all of this just was a ruse?

I felt Illidan could have saved many lives if he just communicated his plans better - an example is the Eye of Sargeras scenario, or even while residing in Outland - he could have told the whole of Azeroth of his plans to infiltrate the Legion and destroy it from within as an inside man.

I think he created a 2nd well of eternity because he felt we needed its power to defeat the legion. Magic ingame is not the same as lore magic. Magic in lore is gathered from arcane energies that are basically floating around azeroth. Unless you commune with the elements ala shamans or druids with nature, you cant cast spells. But with the well of eternity it creates a font of magic that flows out of it. And the world tree spreads that magic throughout Azeroth and thats why we have Mages today.

I think i explained that correctly. Anyway in one of the illidan legion quests he shows how magic can be drained from those individuals that wield it bringing them to the brink of death if he takes too much. Lore magic is very different from ingame magic.

Facts :
    -He creates the second well because he wanted to surprise everyone and make himself the hero of his people
    -He doesn't tell his plans to the world because it is supposed to be SECRET incursions to legion planets, if the legion caught wind then his forces would be exterminated.
    I see, thank you for the information!

- - - Updated - - -

The Burning Legion and The Old Gods,Voidlords are enemies right?

I read somewhere that the Old Gods want to Destroy Sargeras and usurp the Burning Legion for themselves. Is that right?

Did the naga including Lady Vashj help Illidan because they serve the old gods as well- so by extent the enemy of my enemy - a.k.a Illdian - is my friend?

7+ Year Old Account
    He went over to the Legion initially to learn their secrets from the inside and then be able to use those against them -- in short, to gain knowledge of Legion magic. He got more than he bargained for when Sargeras burned out his eyes and gave him that magical vision as a replacement and the fel tattoos.

7+ Year Old Account

somehow your words remind me of Velen, if he did communicate with the other races in Draenor, many things in wow history would have gone better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Illidan went to the legion because he wanted to become more powerful to surpass his brother. All of the evil things he did were true. Some of them are being whitewashed by Blizzard recently.

Wildmoon attacks again

I think the night elves were addicted in a similar way to the blood elves were, but no amount of communication would clear this up. It's inexcusable that he didn't try but the night elves were 100% convinced that having a Well of Eternity guaranteed another legion invasion. Illidan might have known they'd think that, and they'd chalk it up to power-seeking, but that seems thin.

Because back then Illidan was never "the savior Illidan" Blizzard is trying to make him into now. He didn't give a fuck about anyone. He just wanted to escape KJ's wrath. Killing the legion was just a mean not an end for Illidan back then. He wanted to defeat the legion so he would be hailed as the hero. The goal is being the glorious hero.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    Wildmoon attacks again
    as expected
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Yep but it has been retconned, so all good now.
    Unneccessary retcon never sit right with me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, i don't also like the Jaina mess right now nor the Maiev split personality.
    Maiev split personality, because in secret she loves illidan.

Well, i don't also like the Jaina mess right now nor the Maiev split personality.
    For Jaina's case, there is at least the cause which led to her recent actions whether you think it's a good direction for her character development or not. For Maiev, I am still waiting for Blizzard to really explain what really caused her to do what she did in Stormrage but to me using the corruption trope again would be stupidly cheap. I also think her actions in Stormrage were not that strange too. She showed a sign of being crazy since WC3.

Illidan's case is just downright stupid. Blizzard just can't comprehend that there's no need to retcon Illidan into a good guy to actually shine spotlight nor redeem him as a character. There's this character called Alarak who assisted the protagonist of SC2:LotV, Artanis. He is just a twisted and evil dude but he is still a likeable character and well-liked by the community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    For Jaina's case, there is at least the cause which led to her recent actions whether you think it's a good direction for her character development or not. For Maiev, I am still waiting for Blizzard to really explain what really caused her to do what she did in Stormrage but to me using the corruption trope again would be stupidly cheap. I also think her actions in Stormrage were not that strange too. She showed a sign of being crazy since WC3.

Illidan's case is just downright stupid. Blizzard just can't comprehend that there's no need to retcon Illidan into a good guy to actually shine spotlight nor redeem him as a character. There's this character called Alarak who assisted the protagonist of SC2:LotV, Artanis. He is just a twisted and evil dude but he is still a likeable character and well-liked by the community.
    Well in my opinion Illidan's retcon was done perfectly the book explained what happened behind the scenes and adds light in the shadows it literally binded with the lore like a glove. Feels like they were planing for this redemption for years, which they were, but I knew they would do justice to this character, even from W3 we could see that there was more to Illidan than meets the eye, plus even with the retcon they don't present him as the good guy, that's just the fans complaining about his future angelic appearance, he is still evil a necessary evil but evil non the less
    Maiev on the other hand ...corruption made her do it meh what a lame retcon was that -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    Well in my opinion Illidan's retcon was done perfectly the book explained what happened behind the scenes and adds light in the shadows it literally binded with the lore like a glove.
    Haha, that's a funny pun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Haha, that's a funny pun.
    stop highlighting it ...maybe other people won't notice <.< >.>