Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    It's not the only statement you made; and yes, I do. Yes, your big cities are fairly multicultural, just like ours, but there are many and vast areas that are quite mono-cultural, too. You just keep rambling about stuff you yet have to back up; just like your "Why is it assimilate or gtfo" mental diarrhea claim earlier.
    Cyberowl are you denying that the attitude in many of these threads is "assimilate or gtfo"? I said we have our fair share of that ourselves also. Not sure what you're in a tizzy about.

The majority of our country lives in the cities... literally 80% of the country (80.7% as of 2010) lives in urban areas. The rest of the country is spread out and sparsely populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Cyberowl are you denying that the attitude in many of these threads is "assimilate or gtfo"? I said we have our fair share of that ourselves also. Not sure what you're in a tizzy about.

The majority of our country lives in the cities... literally 80% of the country (80.7% as of 2010) lives in urban areas. The rest of the country is spread out and sparsely populated.
    No, I just doubt their representation of the average European. If I would take Orlong, Vyxn, Northy, Khana (?) and similar folk as the average American, I would never take a step into your country. And the most vocal assimilate or gtfo folk I notice (granted, might be confirmation bias because they are also the ones with more posts, so they stick into ones mind) are from your country too.

So next time you gonna make a broad claim, make sure at least it has half a leg to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    it's unofficial, but already there:

the flag used by officials is just different in the eagle design. in heraldry an eagle is an eagle, no matter how stylish he is portrayed.
    Are you trying to shit someone, do you know nothing about heraldry, or is German heraldry COMPLETELY different from Polish? Cuz in Polish literally every little detail matters, it's not an issue whether the eagle is wearing a crown, it's a question what kind of a crown is it wearing, cuz different crown shapes symbolize different things (in this specific example an open crown symbolizes that the country is a subject of another, while a closed crown symbolizes its independence). I guess eagle without a crown is just a bird. Heraldry is an incredibly deep subject, so no, an eagle is, in fact, not an eagle.

But well, the eagle on that flag really looks shit. Germany could and should do better. Or just stick to svastikas, those were really stylish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Not really. People from Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg are not magically "german" just because they know the language.
    German people existed before Germany though. That's how they were able to unite into Germany in the first place. Dutch, Swiss, Austrian, Flemish, Danish, etc. are all Germanic people, but they didn't join the German nation for different reasons. Even the French and English are heavily Germanic.

No, I just doubt their representation of the average European. If I would take Orlong, Vyxn, Northy, Khana (?) and similar folk as the average American, I would never take a step into your country. And the most vocal assimilate or gtfo folk I notice (granted, might be confirmation bias because they are also the ones with more posts, so they stick into ones mind) are from your country too.

So next time you gonna make a broad claim, make sure at least it has half a leg to stand on.
    The sentiment surely seems stronger in Europe when you take a look at your political parties of several countries... especially with the more recent nationlist type ideals gathering more popularity... also what about in the political landscape, or even something simpler like news broadcasters. The majority of European countries fall far far far far far far far behind America when it comes to even basic representation in the latter form, and almost none in the former.

While our voters are clearly more in favor of diversity on a country wide level, many European countries have yet to make any advacement.

Also America is big, posters like the ones you mentioned essentially can stand in for the entirety of a few of our states, not our whole country, being that a cuple of our states are likely the size of your countries.

Unlike many of your countires, we are huge, with very distinct and different cultures , probably more so than over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    German people existed before Germany though. That's how they were able to unite into Germany in the first place. Dutch, Swiss, Austrian, Flemish, Luxembourgish, and Danish are all Germanic people, but they didn't join the German nation for different reasons.
    I agree, I don't know how people can "not see" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It represents whatever you want it to represent. There is no inherent meaning in a flag.
    I'm very sorry that you cannot understand why people are protective of their flags. However, your inability to understand does not make their objections less real or important.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The sentiment surely seems stronger in Europe when you take a look at your political parties of several countries... especially with the more recent nationlist type ideals gathering more popularity... also what about in the political landscape, or even something simpler like news broadcasters. The majority of European countries fall far far far far far far far behind America when it comes to even basic representation in the latter form, and almost none in the former.
    Funnily enough Europe (well, let's be honest...5 countries tops for the majority) is accepting the refugees and not the US. Such things, no matter how much I disagree with them, will always result in such a response. You are just sitting on your high horse right now. And both of your parties still more nationalistic, populist and conservative than 95% of our parties. And the GOP is even more insane than our worst party.

While our voters are clearly more in favor of diversity on a country wide level, many European countries have yet to make any advacement.
    Have you been living under a rock to make that claim? Does the name Trump ring a bell? He still has a huge followership. Not everyone is as open-minded as the average folk in NYC.

Also America is big, posters like the ones you mentioned essentially can stand in for the entirety of a few of our states, not our whole country, being that a cuple of our states are likely the size of your countries.

Unlike many of your countires, we are huge, with very distinct and different cultures , probably more so than over there.
    And Europe isn't? Okey dokey.

Size doesn't matter, the desert doesn't post, population does. How can you make that argument without something in your head screaming how dumb you sound? Generalizing the US is bad, but generalizing Europe (not a country, the whole freaking continent) is fine; oh, and by the way, we also all seem to have the very same culture.

You sound stupid as fuck Themius, come back with arguments that don't make me facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I'm very sorry that you cannot understand why people are protective of their flags. However, your inability to understand does not make their objections less real or important.
    No, I understand why they are protective of it. Doesn't mean I see their reasoning as valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Funnily enough Europe (well, let's be honest...5 countries tops for the majority) is accepting the refugees and not the US. Such things, no matter how much I disagree with them, will always result in such a response. You are just sitting on your high horse right now. And both of your parties still more nationalistic, populist and conservative than 95% of our parties. And the GOP is even more insane than our worst party.

Have you been living under a rock to make that claim? Does the name Trump ring a bell? He still has a huge followership. Not everyone is as open-minded as the average folk in NYC.

And Europe isn't? Okey dokey.

Size doesn't matter, the desert doesn't post, population does. How can you make that argument without something in your head screaming how dumb you sound? Generalizing the US is bad, but generalizing Europe (not a country, the whole freaking continent) is fine; oh, and by the way, we also all seem to have the very same culture.

You sound stupid as fuck Themius, come back with arguments that don't make me facepalm.
    USA is very stringent on immigration, just like Canada. That doesn't somehow disregard the fact that we are a diverse country. I didn't say we have lots of refugees, I said we are diverse. Which we are.

Lol The gop doesn't represent even half of America, the way the majority of Americans think leans more towards our Democratic party but you have the way votes are counted being the main issue.

Trump? So the fuck what trump is a thing, that's because all the republicans were shit and they went with the most entertaining one. Doesn't change the fact that the republican party itself doesn't want trump, no one fucking whats him besides crazy fringe people. He's rather unpopular, and that's because again, no good candidates from that side. People like trump because he's funny, and is a tv personality. He's just the republican nominee, we only have two parties, so saying "but you have trump" doesn't really mean much to me. He's not going to win.

I didn't say europe isn't big, I mean are you having difficulty reading tonight? I said "unlike many of your countries" your countries are fucking small!

Size does matter, things change vastly in this country and one contributing facotr is the sheer size of it. China has vast cultures and it probably wouldn't have such a difference if they were the size of Idaho.

I didn't generalize the whole continent. I said "many" I excluse the UK. Really not even the whole UK, just England.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I understand why they are protective of it. Doesn't mean I see their reasoning as valid.
    I don't think you do understand, or you'd have less of a condescending view of those people. Nonetheless, even if you don't see the reasoning as valid, that doesn't actually make their reasoning invalid. That just means you disagree.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I don't think you do understand, or you'd have less of a condescending view of those people. Nonetheless, even if you don't see the reasoning as valid, that doesn't actually make their reasoning invalid. That just means you disagree.
    I don't remember claiming that my opinion was some kind of objective truth...
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    Not like anyone in Germany has the balls to stand up to Islam.
    And if they do they're branded Nazi and arrested.

- - - Updated - - -

Putting a smilie in post that has no value and just basically saying "I have no real proof of what I'm saying, but I'm right" doesn't make you quirky, smart, or correct.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    And if they do they're branded Nazi and arrested.

- - - Updated - - -

Putting a smilie in post that has no value and just basically saying "I have no real proof of what I'm saying, but I'm right" doesn't make you quirky, smart, or correct.
    What do you mean? What is this standing up to Islam?

When people stand against the WBC they aren't "standing against Christianity" only the WBC. Is there a reason why you think people need to stand against a whole fucking religion?!

USA is very stringent on immigration, just like Canada. That doesn't somehow disregard the fact that we are a diverse country. I didn't say we have lots of refugees, I said we are diverse. Which we are.

Lol The gop doesn't represent even half of America, the way the majority of Americans think leans more towards our Democratic party but you have the way votes are counted being the main issue.

Trump? So the fuck what trump is a thing, that's because all the republicans were shit and they went with the most entertaining one. Doesn't change the fact that the republican party itself doesn't want trump, no one fucking whats him besides crazy fringe people. He's rather unpopular, and that's because again, no good candidates from that side. People like trump because he's funny, and is a tv personality. He's just the republican nominee, we only have two parties, so saying "but you have trump" doesn't really mean much to me. He's not going to win.

I didn't say europe isn't big, I mean are you having difficulty reading tonight? I said "unlike many of your countries" your countries are fucking small!

Size does matter, things change vastly in this country and one contributing facotr is the sheer size of it. China has vast cultures and it probably wouldn't have such a difference if they were the size of Idaho.

I didn't generalize the whole continent. I said "many" I excluse the UK. Really not even the whole UK, just England.
    I can make arguments too when I handwave about 30-40% of my people (=voters). Are you seriously trying to sell the GOP and Trump as a non-matter and as crazy fringe people? Because in that case you sure seem to have a shitton of those. I never said Trump is going to win by the way, just that he still has massive support.

I just find it amusing how you try to sell the US as more culturally diverse as the whole of Europe. Yes, you may have many people from all over the world in the US, but they tend to unify. What heritage and cultural exclusivity in comparison to the rest does the average African-American have left? The Latinos and Asian immigrants are probably the only ones left that have any noticeable exclusivity to them.

"The US is very multicultural; we got the Irish, the German, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Italian heritages. Can Europe top tha...oh wait."

You try to paint both the US and Europe as something it isn't.

I can make arguments too when I handwave about 30-40% of my people (=voters). Are you seriously trying to sell the GOP and Trump as a non-matter and as crazy fringe people? Because in that case you sure seem to have a shitton of those. I never said Trump is going to win by the way, just that he still has massive support.

I just find it amusing how you try to sell the US as more culturally diverse as the whole of Europe. Yes, you may have many people from all over the world in the US, but they tend to unify. What heritage and cultural exclusivity in comparison to the rest does the average African-American have left? The Latinos and Asian immigrants are probably the only ones left that have any noticeable exclusivity to them.

"The US is very multicultural; we got the Irish, the German, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Italian heritages. Can Europe top tha...oh wait."

You try to paint both the US and Europe as something it isn't.
    I wouldn't call 30% of our country massive support. Republicans over the years have become quite popular mostly with whites, and then with older people who tend to hold more bigoted views. Our right has become essentally far right.

Again are you having problems with comprehension tonight?

I didn't say more culturally diverse than the entirety of Europe but we are more culturally diverse than any one of your countries. There is a very distinct African American culture (O_O) I'm not sure why you bring them up as if their culture has been eradicated, it's not "African" it's specifically "black american" which encompasses quite a few things... I wouldn't really expect people outside of this country to know much about black american culture. I wouldn't expect most people in this country to know anything about black american culture lol, unless they lived in an area that's diverse.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Are you trying to shit someone, do you know nothing about heraldry, or is German heraldry COMPLETELY different from Polish? Cuz in Polish literally every little detail matters, it's not an issue whether the eagle is wearing a crown, it's a question what kind of a crown is it wearing, cuz different crown shapes symbolize different things (in this specific example an open crown symbolizes that the country is a subject of another, while a closed crown symbolizes its independence). I guess eagle without a crown is just a bird. Heraldry is an incredibly deep subject, so no, an eagle is, in fact, not an eagle.

But well, the eagle on that flag really looks shit. Germany could and should do better. Or just stick to svastikas, those were really stylish.
    the german eagle depicted is the "official design of 1922", but civil heraldry doesnt waste time on such ideas. the description done by our heralds would say "gold, an eagle black, armed and beaked red" and doesnt count its feathers or notes other details.
    apart from crowns of ranks of nobility used in personal arms, germany is usually void of crowns exept those in official design for the german federal states and city states.

I wouldn't call 30% of our country massive support. Republicans over the years have become quite popular mostly with whites, and then with older people who tend to hold more bigoted views. Our right has become essentally far right.

Again are you having problems with comprehension tonight?

I didn't say more culturally diverse than the entirety of Europe but we are more culturally diverse than any one of your countries. There is a very distinct African American culture (O_O) I'm not sure why you bring them up as if their culture has been eradicated, it's not "African" it's specifically "black american" which encompasses quite a few things... I wouldn't really expect people outside of this country to know much about black american culture. I wouldn't expect most people in this country to know anything about black american culture lol, unless they lived in an area that's diverse.
    I don't care about your attempt to revise the argument; the start of this discussion is you saying "you Europeans".

You are also arguing super dishonestly. When it's about the people posting assimilate or gtfo, it's the whole of Europe. When it's about cultural diversity, it's single countries, when it's about political parties it's about Europe again. Give me a break.

And I didn't call black american culture extinct; I just doubted the distance between the average black american to the average white american is as big as the distance between let's say the dutch Belgian and French Belgian. Or the Irish and the British. Or the Welsh and the Scottish. Or Switzerland. Or the Balkan countries. Or Croatia. See, I can swap from continent to countries too if it fit's my narrative.

I don't care about your attempt to revise the argument; the start of this discussion is you saying "you Europeans".

You are also arguing super dishonestly. When it's about the people posting assimilate or gtfo, it's the whole of Europe. When it's about cultural diversity, it's single countries, when it's about political parties it's about Europe again. Give me a break.

And I didn't call black american culture extinct; I just doubted the distance between the average black american to the average white american is as big as the distance between let's say the dutch Belgian and French Belgian. Or the Irish and the British. Or the Welsh and the Scottish. Or Switzerland. Or the Balkan countries. Or Croatia. See, I can swap from continent to countries too if it fit's my narrative.
    When it's assimilate or GTFO it's still shit tons of countries, though again as I said previously I would mostly exclude the UK, and really just England.

There are plenty of similarities and differences... and most of our places have more varying cultures than each of your countries. There really isn't much arguing on that front.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Oh, sorry, I just haven't finished writing a 200 pages long scientific paper for this discussion specifically, that contains hard proof. Will be back when I'm done with it!