Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Unhappy Can death knights leave the Ebon Blade?

A veritable manure storm came my way on Argent Dawn EU when I mentioned that once the events of Legion go down, my death knight is going to formally leave the Ebon Blade. The decisions made by the order are beyond his moral event horizon and would force him to break oaths he's made to others, and -- like Tirion Fordring -- he's perhaps a little too honour focused to be politically savvy.

This has gotten me called a lore breaker, a loller, and what have you. There is an adamant headcanon that death knights cannot and will not ever disagree with the Ebon Blade's leadership, not to mention pack up and leave. I find this very odd given that freedom is what the order fought for in the first place. I have a hard time picturing Darion Mograine (or this new unnamed Deathlord) keeping the knights as slaves after struggling so hard to free them.

However! Nothing settles an argument like actual lore fact from Blizzard.

Does any of you know of any lore statement, IC or OOC, blue post, tweet, the works, that clarifies whether death knights can indeed go rogue or not? If they do, do we know what will happen to them? Are we literally talking kill on sight, as some would have it?

Seems pretty obvious that they can leave with no apparent consequences. Thassarian and Koltira proved it, they left the Ebon Blade and joined their respective factions. There is no proof they they didn't suffer any consequences, but these are facts - they left and they weren't killed. They weren't the only ones, either, as we get death knight followers in WoD garrison.

So yeah, there is no reason to believe that they would never leave. It's my understanding that Ebon Blade is just a place where they all know they can belong, but some just try to get their lost lives back. They would probably be welcomed back if they found out they can't.

Lastly, there's the player DK character. They join their respective faction and they are still free to come to Acherus and leave at will. I don't think this is just for gameplay purposes, since the only thing DKs ever go there for is runeforging - and I'm not even sure if that's still the case.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2016-08-14 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Lastly, there's the player DK character. They join their respective faction and they are still free to come to Acherus and leave at will. I don't think this is just for gameplay purposes, since the only thing DKs ever go there for is runeforging - and I'm not even sure if that's still the case.
    Pretty much this. It's been a while since I've done the DK starter quests, but I thought they made it pretty clear player-controlled DKs are sent out to rejoin their original factions and that they're not directly part of the Ebon Blade any more.

There is nothing about DKS CAN ONLY BE PART OF EBON BLADE AND CANT ARGUE WITH LEADERSHIP. It has never been a thing as far as I know.

I like how they handled demon hunters more clearly in that regard. While the game shows no real consequences, the playable demon hunter is actually either Illidari or Renegade, depends on who they follow. I like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshade View Post
    I like how they handled demon hunters more clearly in that regard. While the game shows no real consequences, the playable demon hunter is actually either Illidari or Renegade, depends on who they follow. I like this.
    So much this. I actually brought this up yesterday in another topic!

On the topic of death knights, I think the Ebon Blade is more like a sub faction to them at this point than their main allegiance, kind of how playable mages of both factions can join the Kirin Tor.

Deleted

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Thassarian and Koltira proved it, they left the Ebon Blade and joined their respective factions.
    The counter-argument there is that they rejoin the Ebon Blade in Legion and hence were never really not members. They were on leave, perhaps.

I agree entirely with the posters here myself, but I am having to deal with a number of headcanon experts who demand flat out "proof" that the knights can leave the order. I am being charged to find somewhere that Blizzard has flat-out stated that this is possible.

Further development among this now involves plans to create concentration camps for death knights.

Dealing with headcanon RP police is very tiresome.
    Last edited by mmoc98c16f8be4; 2016-08-14 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriandr Zhora View Post
    The counter-argument there is that they rejoin the Ebon Blade in Legion and hence were never really not members. They were on leave, perhaps.

I agree entirely with the posters here myself, but I am having to deal with a number of headcanon experts who demand flat out "proof" that the knights can leave the order. I am being charged to find somewhere that Blizzard has flat-out stated that this is possible.

Further development among this now involves plans to create concentration camps for death knights.

Dealing with headcanon RP police is very tiresome.
    Late response, but simply reverse the question and ask them where /their/ proof is.

Also, if you have Twitter it's worth asking the devs who are active there your question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater View Post
    Also, if you have Twitter it's worth asking the devs who are active there your question.
    Oh, I have, believe me. It's just getting an answer out of them about this sort of thing that isn't easy. A flat yes-no from CDev would settle this argument in seconds.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe they must have ties with the Ebon Blade. The EB reaches across both factions. They let their members go partake in conflicts, but I believe if they call upon them then they must work with them.

Deleted
    There is a Forsaken Death Knight in the opening Quest for Stormheim on Alliance Side. If Death Knights weren't allowed to leave the Ebon Blade, he wouldn't be there.

During WoD the Alliance side player commander gets Delvin the dwarf DK as an early follower, this guy is -not- tied to the Ebon Blade, and a number of other DK's are not as you can recruit them throughout WoD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    During WoD the Alliance side player commander gets Delvin the dwarf DK as an early follower, this guy is -not- tied to the Ebon Blade, and a number of other DK's are not as you can recruit them throughout WoD.
    Yeah... He even has Darion's voice files.

What the heck with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    That was in WoD, when the Ebon Blade was still more or less inactive and it's members did what they wanted.

Like I said, there is another example in the Stormheim opening Quest on Alliance, the Skyfire Canons are frozen by a Forsaken Death Knights. That's after the Class Order Operations started, so at this point he can't have been a Member of the Ebon Blade, as he fought for the Forsaken.

Deleted
    I'm inclined to agree that the Forsaken fellow tips the scales drastically in favour of Knights needing to choose their loyalties once and for all. That said, I've been presented with the argument that until Blizzard outright says 'you can leave', no one can leave. I guess this is going to be one of those headcanon things where neither side can end the argument decisively.

Deleted
    I'm inclined to agree that the Forsaken fellow tips the scales drastically in favour of Knights needing to choose their loyalties once and for all. That said, I've been presented with the argument that until Blizzard outright says 'you can leave', no one can leave. I guess this is going to be one of those headcanon things where neither side can end the argument decisively.
    Problem is, the Ebon Blade could do a shit against Death Knights who want to join Alliance and Horde? Try to kill them? Forcing them back? Right now, most people on Azeroth should be pretty pissed about the Ebon Blade. The only Reason the Paladins don't start to persuade the two big faction into declaring the Death Knights traitors is probably engine.

Deleted
    As far as a lot of paladins on Argent Dawn EU are concerned, they already have declared the death knights traitors. That's actually how this whole debate started: Those of us who also disagree with this turn in Blizzard's writing felt that the only sane thing our characters could do was leave the order -- and that in turn got a lot of self proclaimed "Roleplaying police" up in arms, claiming that we can't and we must suffer consequences for the actions of the Ebon Blade even if we don't feel any affiliation at all.

</curious sidenote>

As far as a lot of paladins on Argent Dawn EU are concerned, they already have declared the death knights traitors. That's actually how this whole debate started: Those of us who also disagree with this turn in Blizzard's writing felt that the only sane thing our characters could do was leave the order -- and that in turn got a lot of self proclaimed "Roleplaying police" up in arms, claiming that we can't and we must suffer consequences for the actions of the Ebon Blade even if we don't feel any affiliation at all.

</curious sidenote>
    Ah good old Argent Elitist Dawn.

Pretty much truth quote right there, the issue is these RP police in question throw headcanon without actually having facts or lore to back it up. They claim you're raping the lore, when the reality is, they are, but they refuse to acknowladge that its the offical lore they're screwing, so you're screwing "their" lore and "their" perception of acceptable.

Just ignore them, not worth the paper to wipe your rear with. The Ebon regardless has more or less become TLK's lackey again after events in the DK class storyline and the fact they've sort of made enemies of nearly everyone.

Deleted

</curious sidenote>
    Sounds pretty nice. Now the Alliance Paladins only need to hate all Undeads or Argent Dawn and I'm in.

Deleted
    Given how Maxwell Tyrosus and the player Highlord of the Silver Hand come to the Ebon Blade for help with their artefact during the class hall missions, though, it's clear that Blizzard has not dictated a war between the two classes. Any such roleplay is headcanon. It's fine, I'm all for conflict and drama in roleplay, but don't try to convince me that headcanon trumps Blizzard writing. Not even when Blizzard writing has a bad year.