10+ Year Old Account

Scaling dungeons? What? Where?!

Scaling Dungeons
    As soon as the team starting working on the tech to scale the outdoor zones to the player level, they knew that they wanted to do it in dungeons as well.
    If you can do any zone while leveling it would be strange to not be able to do certain dungeons, especially when they are integrated into the zone story.
    This will also help with queue times, as the entire leveling pool of players can match with each other.
    Oh SNAP!

Do we have any other details on this? Which dungeons are being scaled? Is it just Legion? Are there plans to make all dungeons scalable, certain groups scaleable ala Timewalking?

I'm seeing a beautiful image of being able to queue for any and every 5-man dungeon as a lvl 110 instance...just beautiful. The variety! The nostalgia! How amazing!

Anyone have any other deets or sources for scaling dungeons in reference to this quote?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Oh SNAP!

Do we have any other details on this? Which dungeons are being scaled? Is it just Legion? Are there plans to make all dungeons scalable, certain groups scaleable ala Timewalking?

I'm seeing a beautiful image of being able to queue for any and every 5-man dungeon as a lvl 110 instance...just beautiful. The variety! The nostalgia! How amazing!

Anyone have any other deets or sources for scaling dungeons in reference to this quote?
    I believe it's just the Legion dungeons for now, they may do more later. Same with the old zones, they said they've kicked around the idea of applying the scaling to the old world zones but for now it's just the ones added in Legion.

All Normal Dungeons in Legion (the Arcway and Court of Stars are Mythic and Mythic+ only) can be entered into and completed from levels 100 to 110.

All the mobs in Normal mode legion dungeons scale up to the player just like the demons in invasions do.

So no soloing them for transmog pieces post-Legion, then?
    В предчувствии движения племен,
    Разломов тверди и кончины мира
    Пою не то, о чем мечтает лира,
    А имена теней и тень имен.

Deleted
    I guess it only scales to 110. And it's only the four zone ending dungeons I believe. The others are 110 only aren't they? Oh and the new Dalaran prison but that starts at 104.

Theyre pretty much already doing it with old dungeons via timewalking.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Theyre pretty much already doing it with old dungeons via timewalking.
    No, timewalking scales you down, not the dungeon itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've already stated many times in the past that they have the tech for it, and they use it actively in Legion. They have loose plans to use it on old content at some point, but nothing definite on the horizon yet. I wouldn't expect all dungeon and raid content to be eventually be accessible by all level ranges, that won't happen. It doesn't make sense in the context of the content in question to allow, say, a level 15 queue into a scaled Molten Core with a 110 raider. I could see them possibly making old dungeons utterly scaleable with a unique reward for max levels to do them - not 110 gear or upgrades, but maybe a currency like for Timewalking and comparable rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    No, timewalking scales you down, not the dungeon itself.
    Thus the "pretty much". Whether you're scaling up or down is irrelevant, the point is that its highly unlikely that we'll see them extend this to old dungeons when timewalking already gives max level characters the opportunity to do old dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    It doesn't make sense in the context of the content in question to allow, say, a level 15 queue into a scaled Molten Core with a 110 raider. I could see them possibly making old dungeons utterly scaleable with a unique reward for max levels to do them - not 110 gear or upgrades, but maybe a currency like for Timewalking and comparable rewards.
    Yeah I think it wouldn't make sense for lower levels to scale up but I could certainly see them making it so that higher levels scale down (well scale the monster up I mean). I mean the easy way is to make the enemies take % based damage which is what most of them do now anyways. Then you can just insert a level 110 in with a level 20 and it should work more or less seamlessly.

Maybe looking at where groups tend to struggle to find groups and working to add those dungeons into the mix first would be the best plan and have them grant something similar to Timewalking. Could have it randomly put you in to an older dungeon if you random based off the queues and gift you an extra bonus if that happens. Though if that was to happen it may be viewed as being too random and not allowing people to just run "current" dungeons. Perhaps having it as a separate queue makes sense. Make it work like Timewalking and be the same level for tokens, maybe a little less per queued dungeon because you can have Timewalking Events grant bonus tokens (with a different queue) for a certain range of dungeons.
    Last edited by Tyrealius; 2016-08-22 at 10:31 AM.