Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Any word yet on fixing the hyperdrive bug? Really getting tired of the one system I've been stuck on since day 3
    You can grind out cash to buy a new ship with a hyperdrive, either by abusing the 100% markup on galactic market items to buy items low from the NPC's coming to the trade stations on the planet, or the space station, and selling them high at the market terminals. You can also craft bypass chips for money, as the items needed to craft them are plentiful, and they sell for far more than the crafting materials are worth.

You can also grind out the hyperdrive recipe by going to all the buildings that contain schematic upgrades (shelters (not droppods), operation centers, manufacturing plants etc). They will eventually teach you this schematic, it's just a question of RNG. You might also get lucky and find an NPC that will teach it to you through conversation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I just found a really small moon next to a regular normal sized planet, real close you can see it rise and take up most of the sky.
    It's like really really small moon, you can see that it's round from the lowest fight point. I just circumvented it in 11 minutes at lowest altitude at 220u/s.

Not to mention the planet is purple-blue-red with rocks sticking out. It was awesome.

To people who complained that you cannot fly real low and between the rocks - well upgrade your ships, because with all the thrusters upgrades I can fly real low, real fast and between those rocks. I fly practically at tree level - I can see fauna during flight.
    I also found my first moon. Didn't even see it at first since it was hidden behind the planet (and we generally only see 1 side of a planet, the one facing the space stations). Discovered it while scouring the planet for outposts and accidentally looking up really.
    It's full of Emeril deposits but not much else. It's an almost identical copy of our own moon, but with these huge jade pillars of sweet sweet cash for me to mine.

One of the most magical places I've been to so far, it's so desolate and completely devoid of life, be it sentient or otherwise, and it's so close to the planet that the sky (planetside) is filled with it. Pretty awesome.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-22 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    I also found my first moon. Didn't even see it at first since it was hidden behind the planet (and we generally only see 1 side of a planet, the one facing the space stations). Discovered it while scouring the planet for outposts and accidentally looking up really.
    It's full of Emeril deposits but not much else. It's an almost identical copy of our own moon, but with these huge jade pillars of sweet sweet cash for me to mine.

One of the most magical places I've been to so far, it's so desolate and completely devoid of life, be it sentient or otherwise, and it's so close to the planet that the sky (planetside) is filled with it. Pretty awesome.
    Found a few of those moons as well, one being mildly NSFW....

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Found a few of those moons as well, one being mildly NSFW....
    That one is just flipping you off, how rude.

The one I found isn't that mountainous and the planet is even closer. I'll take a screenshot when I get home from work, can't wait to discover it.

Would be cool if we could have rovers to traverse the surface of planets/moons instead of walking, jetpack-jumping and the spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    And starting a new game has not yet accord to you?
    How do you start a new game in NMS?

I suppose you could remove any saves stored locally and then put steam saves offline?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I actually prefer phasers as my primary weapon, although I still had this ptoblem. And enemy moved out of my phaser lock right as I clicked to fire, and my phaser auto locked onto the friendly ship turret and I became an enemy. Bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a friend that got frustrated with the game after a couple of hours of play, got piss ed off at how barren and lifeless the game was, etc. And he sounded just like every other person complaining.

Last night I sat down with him, explained to him how to upgrade his ship, multi tool and exosuit, explained to him how to find high class planets with lush environments and rare resources. Explained much of the game to him and now he's loving the shit out of it.

So my analysis proves more and more right all the time. The people bad mouthing the game were those who spent very little time because the game did not show them how to play and they got frustrated and bored with not know g what they were "supposed" to do in a sandbox.

Once you explain to them how to play and the open ended nature of game play of sandbox, and that Preston Garvey is not going to hold their hand through tutorial modes, they start having a ton of fun.
    what is a tip for finding exoctic and lush planets? ive found a few, but havent found a way to reliably find them, some times from space the planet looks lush, or looks like it has water, then i land and its just barren :\

I've kind of hit a wall now. Since I maxed out my ship and suit and discovered that it's going to take fucking forever to reach the centre of the galaxy (and I found out what actually happens when you reach the centre... all I can say is OMFG...) my desire to continue playing just took a nosedive. I'm actually considering deleting my save and starting again, but this time just dipping into the game occasionally and not worrying about maxing out my ship.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/

This game looks pretty much same (worse grafic), but has way more content.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I've kind of hit a wall now. Since I maxed out my ship and suit and discovered that it's going to take fucking forever to reach the centre of the galaxy (and I found out what actually happens when you reach the centre... all I can say is OMFG...) my desire to continue playing just took a nosedive. I'm actually considering deleting my save and starting again, but this time just dipping into the game occasionally and not worrying about maxing out my ship.
    Why not reorient your reason for playing to exploration? Be curious about what else is out there, try to find planets you've never seen before and see the treasures they house.

This is something the game could improve on: treasure troves on planets. For example caves full of precious metals (that look distinctly different from your regular surface cave), underwater areas that spark the imagination, etc etc.
    Right now there's some stuff to discover on planets, but it's generally more of the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be trying to reach "the end". I said it in another post; the game's primary focus is on the journey, not the destination. If you're wondering about the "endgame", you've got the wrong outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I dunno:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/

This game looks pretty much same (worse grafic), but has way more content.
    Played (and still play) a lot of Empyrion, its not the same kind of game. Its not exploration, its a survival building game, just like minecraft but in space. Its like minecraft had a baby with Space Engineers. But the game have a set number of planets (atm, they want to expand to a whole galaxy too) and they are way smaller; you do the whole planet on foot in a matter of minutes, not to mention that the north and south poles have an invisible wall, so you are limited to the space between (not sure, think they said something about the coding, the planet arent really sphere or something). Its a good game, but not the same genre at all.

Why not reorient your reason for playing to exploration? Be curious about what else is out there, try to find planets you've never seen before and see the treasures they house.
    What am I going to find other than minerals, blueprints that I already have, and more words?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You seem to be trying to reach "the end". I said it in another post; the game's primary focus is on the journey, not the destination. If you're wondering about the "endgame", you've got the wrong outlook.
    I think you have got it slightly wrong. Getting to the centre of the galaxy is the overarching objective of No Man's Sky. Now, what you do between point A and point Z is up to you. You could make it your goal to discover a thousand planets if you want, or name 1000 species or whatever. You could even choose to ignore the path to the galaxy completely if you want and go free roaming, but that's kind of like ignoring the main quest in an RPG. I have fully upgraded my ship and my exosuit and I've seen all the various things that the planets have to offer at this point, so there really is little for me to do other than reach the end of the game.

Deleted
    What am I going to find other than minerals, blueprints that I already have, and more words?
    You're too practical about this game. It's not for you if you constantly need a tangible carrot to chase.

For me the carrot is the chase itself and I approach it as a highly casual game to relax 30min-1h before bedtime. And I enjoy it thoroughly.

You're too practical about this game. It's not for you if you constantly need a tangible carrot to chase.

For me the carrot is the chase itself and I approach it as a highly casual game to relax 30min-1h before bedtime. And I enjoy it thoroughly.
    But you yourself said I could look for treasures, and I'm fine with doing that. I'm just telling you I've found them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard a lot of bad stuff about this game. Lots of bugs and broken promises. Is it worth getting? My main problem with it right now is not knowing what the hell you actually do in the game? Like is there a mission? Do you fight enemies? Or is it just like exploring and collecting things? The game looks really interesting but if flying around and smelling the flowers on a bajillion planets is all you do then what is the point?
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2016-08-22 at 03:06 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I heard a lot of bad stuff about this game. Lots of bugs and broken promises. Is it worth getting?
    The bugs are being fixed REALLY quickly, like within a week or two of being reported. The devs are working hard on polishing those up as they appear.

As for the "broken promises", a lot of that was people reading WAY too much into fairly vague statements, or looking at the first two planets they found and not seeing EXACTLY the diversity that they showed in teaser trailers. In the time since, many of us have found a LOT of those supposed "missing" elements; they're just not common.

Things that people claimed were cut, but that I've personally run into myself;
    Butterfly-type creatures
    Food chain mechanics, with predators stalking and killing prey
    There were claims that all ships were identical, new analysis is showing that there ARE clear differences between them, they're just not blatant
    Rivers
    Structures with moving parts

All those were claimed to NOT be in the game, but they are; people just overreacted way too quickly.

There are SOME things that didn't appear to make the cut, which were definitely spoken of, but it's nowhere near as aggressive a pare-down as some people have played it out to be.

My main problem with it right now is not knowing what the hell you actually do in the game? Like is there a mission? Do you fight enemies? Or is it just like exploring and collecting things? The game looks really interesting but if flying around and smelling the flowers on a bajillion planets is all you do then what is the point?
    It's not that kind of game. It's pretty much that simple. It's like asking what the "point" of Minecraft is. You'll get different answers from different people. The main core through the game is exploration, though, and this is real-type exploration, not "find all the widgets on this map" pseudo-exploration that most open-world games rely on. There's a wild blue unexplored yonder. NOBODY knows what's in that next system. Not even the developers. Go find out.

Sure, it may not be anything particularly stunning, but maybe you'll find a planet with great scenery, or something you've never seen before. You don't know until you go see. It's very much a "let's see what's over the next hill", where the answer is very often "another hill". But sometimes, it's a really COOL hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I heard a lot of bad stuff about this game. Lots of bugs and broken promises. Is it worth getting? My main problem with it right now is not knowing what the hell you actually do in the game? Like is there a mission? Do you fight enemies? Or is it just like exploring and collecting things? The game looks really interesting but if flying around and smelling the flowers on a bajillion planets is all you do then what is the point?
    Buy it on steam, play for 1hr 45mins and decide whether you like it or not, because you'll be doing the same thing you did on those 2 hrs for the rest of the game.

If you don't like it, refund it.

Deleted
    The bugs are being fixed REALLY quickly, like within a week or two of being reported. The devs are working hard on polishing those up as they appear.

As for the "broken promises", a lot of that was people reading WAY too much into fairly vague statements, or looking at the first two planets they found and not seeing EXACTLY the diversity that they showed in teaser trailers. In the time since, many of us have found a LOT of those supposed "missing" elements; they're just not common.

Things that people claimed were cut, but that I've personally run into myself;
    Butterfly-type creatures
    Food chain mechanics, with predators stalking and killing prey
    There were claims that all ships were identical, new analysis is showing that there ARE clear differences between them, they're just not blatant
    Rivers
    Structures with moving parts

All those were claimed to NOT be in the game, but they are; people just overreacted way too quickly.

There are SOME things that didn't appear to make the cut, which were definitely spoken of, but it's nowhere near as aggressive a pare-down as some people have played it out to be.

It's not that kind of game. It's pretty much that simple. It's like asking what the "point" of Minecraft is. You'll get different answers from different people. The main core through the game is exploration, though, and this is real-type exploration, not "find all the widgets on this map" pseudo-exploration that most open-world games rely on. There's a wild blue unexplored yonder. NOBODY knows what's in that next system. Not even the developers. Go find out.

Sure, it may not be anything particularly stunning, but maybe you'll find a planet with great scenery, or something you've never seen before. You don't know until you go see. It's very much a "let's see what's over the next hill", where the answer is very often "another hill". But sometimes, it's a really COOL hill.
    i think rivers on that list are the only thing ive not seen, any screenshots of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i think rivers on that list are the only thing ive not seen, any screenshots of it?
    Unfortunately, no, I keep meaning to start taking screenshots, and forgetting >.<

Deleted
    Unfortunately, no, I keep meaning to start taking screenshots, and forgetting >.<
    ive taken a few, but none worth showing as i have to play ont he lowest graphics settings, so nothing looks impressive