Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I kinda figured he was too embarrassed to come back and say anything.
    That's my guess. It's such a fucktastic fail, I probably wouldn't come back either LOL.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Well, no. Loads better - since WoW's thread load will look something akin to this in a typical raid environment. Note that this is on a i5-3570, the highlighted thread is at the limit of what the CPU can handle, and is limiting the game's performance.

While there are obvious benefits to adding a second core here, the diminishing returns after that are high. A third or fourth core can still reduce thread service delay, but it won't translate into a significant FPS gain.

Note that in cities, due to the considerable amount of asset loading required - thread distribution can change a bit to look more like this:

This never lasts for long however, and is not something you should build a machine around.
    You must be high. In an actual raid there will be little difference with the crappy engine Warcraft has.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    In your config.wtf file add the line SET processAffinityMask "21845" you then use 8 cores/16 threads in wow
    I was using 255 until now but your comment made me curious and I ended up finding this:

Setting Wow to run on all cores:

I7s:
    SET processAffinityMask "255"

16-core/8-core hyper-threaded (untested):
    SET processAffinityMask "65535"

Optimal Settings for Multi-core Processors:

I7s:
    SET processAffinityMask "85"

16-core/8-core hyper-threaded (untested):
    SET processAffinityMask "21845

So...which is the right one?

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    I was using 255 until now but your comment made me curious and I ended up finding this:

So...which is the right one?
    None of the above, since like I said earlier in this thread that WoW by default has the cores uncapped. It's been like this since Wotlk 3.3.2. Setting your "processAffinityMask" is only good for selecting specific cores, which doesn't help performance.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-08-22 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Jesus typing is hard today......

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    None of the above, since like I said earlier in this thread that WoW by default has the cores uncapped. It's been like this since Wotlk 3.3.2. Setting your "processAffinityMask" is only good for selecting specific cores, which doesn't help performance.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask
    WoW doesn't have a good track record with "let us decide settings for you".

And if so, which equivalent setting would the game set for an i7 hyper threading CPU?

Deleted
    LOL, you downgraded your CPU LOL. Your CPU is complete Horseshit for Gaming, what the fuck did you thought buying a fucking 2.5GHz CPU? There is a reason a 6700K beats any CPU for Gaming, its because its Core-Clock is already at 4.4GHz out of the Box!

Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    LOL, you downgraded your CPU LOL. Your CPU is complete Horseshit for Gaming, what the fuck did you thought buying a fucking 2.5GHz CPU? There is a reason a 6700K beats any CPU for Gaming, its because its Core-Clock is already at 4.4GHz out of the Box!
    It's at 4.0ghz actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It's at 4.0ghz actually.
    Google TurboBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    WoW doesn't have a good track record with "let us decide settings for you".

And if so, which equivalent setting would the game set for an i7 hyper threading CPU?
    It's like talking at wall on these forums sometime, IT"S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Just leave at default.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    Google TurboBoost
    Actually default runs at 4.0 GHz and turbo boosts to 4.2 GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/...up-to-4_20-GHz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Remember, WoW is a single threaded CPU bound game. Did you honestly think cutting your clock rate by 2Ghz would do anything but decrease your frame rate?
    this was my first thought too! your old cpu is better for wow :/ and the 16 gb ram are simply not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    It's like talking at wall on these forums sometime, IT"S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Just leave at default.
    "The game does it automatically" is very different from "Not worth the effort".

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread. The OP got the answer back on page one, the thread is just arguing at this point.