Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don't notice any less "bang" with my iphone over whatever galaxy is out now.
    Yeah, but iPhones are differnt. iPods and iPhones saved Apple. Apple should stick to phones and MP3 players. Its where they excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Did you actually check the specs? Which iPhone do you have?
    specs? specs aren't everything... i remember past android phones that had way better specs but.... didn't perform as well, or as well consistently.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Galaxy Note 4 makes a MUCH better pocket warmer than my iPhone!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why is that? Because you dislike intel? Honest question.
    Because it was better for graphic design and 3D rendering, there were things that the original Mac architecture could do that were just plain superior, I mean heck you could buy an applemac tower with two processors seats back when Intel was still playing around with hyper-threading. Also, it provided a real honest-to-goodness alternative. There's no functional difference between a Mac and "PC" now aside from operating system, you're basically buying the same car and then deciding on if you want it blue or red and whose brand sticker you want on it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because it was better for graphic design and 3D rendering, there were things that the original Mac architecture could do that were just plain superior, I mean heck you could buy an applemac tower with two processors seats back when Intel was still playing around with hyper-threading. Also, it provided a real honest-to-goodness alternative. There's no functional difference between a Mac and "PC" now aside from operating system, you're basically buying the same car and then deciding on if you want it blue or red and whose brand sticker you want on it.
    There is a difference, though it is not obvious to the end user, and that is the PC BIOS vs Open Firmware.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Personally I have nothing against Apple. They're doing their business, I'm doing mine. As long as I remember, they have had absolutely zero products that had a modest price tag compared to the parts it's made of. People buy in incredible quantities their stuff, so why would they give any discount or go boasting with the HW specs when they don't have to. My GF bought the macbook air a good while ago. It looks neat all the way down, until you touch the keyboard. Even some cheap Acer I've tried in a store is better by a mile. I've had iphone6 as my work phone for ~1,5 years, and I'm still baffled how someone sees there value for as high as 800€. I might not be the only one with these thoughts, but it seems I'm a part of such minority that Apple does not need to listen to.

I don't know what have been the latest sales figures for their laptops and tablets, but I would not be too surprised if they're trying to direct people from buing the "entry level macbook" to buying an ipad instead. I'd bet the cost of manufacturing the latter is significantly lower than the former. And if you need something more than just an ipad with a keyboard, then there's the more expensive macbook pros which bring more money to their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Doesn't matter. DVD is a huge thing still. Should be bog standard on an Imac or Macbook when you paid the stupid ass price for it. Hell Blu Ray should be standard on those. Also I don't see the point shelling out money for a blu ray player when DVD is still being made for the movies I watch or are being released and it doesn't look like DVD is going anywhere anytime soon either. My point of the post is that Apple charge for stupid prices and don't include shit that should be bog standard on any all in one pc or Laptop. Apart from the PS3/PS4 I have not used a single Blu Ray disc outside of that area in my life since that of course is the standard format for game discs.
    So here we have a a 16 year old slow-as-nothing-else standard and a 10 year old standard which virtually noone uses on their PC's (as you say, you don't use BluRays on your PC; noone does)

... and somehow you're surprised when a manufacturer decides that, on a portable device like a laptop, they really couldn't care less about wasting 1/3rds of the internal space on a drive you're not going to use anyway and, if you are, it'll be very rarely.

Just take an external drive and be done with it. They work absolutely fine. I mean it's either the DVD drive or 5 hours of battery or a WAY thicker machine. BluRays and DVD's are large; have you noticed?

As for the other guy who thought he really had a point about mobo's not coming with the necessary drivers and that those are on discs... we're talking about Apple. Pretty sure they got that under control; in fact I can't remember Apple releasing a machine without proper drivers on it EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because it was better for graphic design and 3D rendering, there were things that the original Mac architecture could do that were just plain superior, I mean heck you could buy an applemac tower with two processors seats back when Intel was still playing around with hyper-threading
    Apple uses intel processors unless you're talking pre 2005.

China is whats wrong with chapple

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    So here we have a a 16 year old slow-as-nothing-else standard and a 10 year old standard which virtually noone uses on their PC's (as you say, you don't use BluRays on your PC; noone does)

... and somehow you're surprised when a manufacturer decides that, on a portable device like a laptop, they really couldn't care less about wasting 1/3rds of the internal space on a drive you're not going to use anyway and, if you are, it'll be very rarely.

Just take an external drive and be done with it. They work absolutely fine. I mean it's either the DVD drive or 5 hours of battery or a WAY thicker machine. BluRays and DVD's are large; have you noticed?

As for the other guy who thought he really had a point about mobo's not coming with the necessary drivers and that those are on discs... we're talking about Apple. Pretty sure they got that under control; in fact I can't remember Apple releasing a machine without proper drivers on it EVER.
    Where did I say nobody uses Blu ray? Don't put words in my mouth please. I said DVD is still a widely used format and I still use it for movie playback as I don't need to shell money out for a Blu Ray player when movies are still coming out on DVD and don't look like they are going anywhere any time soon. When movies start being Blu Ray only I'll get a Blu Ray player but for now a DVD player is perfectly fine. Laptops should have a Blu Ray drive as standard. Especially for the stupid prices apple charge. You can get laptops that can do what a Macbook can do except 4k for cheaper and they come with DVD/Blu Ray drives and are fine as a portable device. So again £800 for a laptop and over £1000 for an All in one and no DVD drive is pitiful although every apple product is an overpriced piece of shit so you know. Just like their shitty £400-500 phones when you could buy an Android phone which can do pretty much the same for less.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-22 at 11:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Apple uses intel processors unless you're talking pre 2005.
    I was. That's when I stopped being interested in Apple products.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    I've got an external BluRay drive for the rare case I need any CD/DVD/BluRay stuff. Generally it's to install old games, but even there GoG or Steam has my back most of the time.

An external and decently fast BluRay drive is like $100 and just plugs into your USB port. Unless you use DVD's absolutely constantly, there's no reason to have it built in. It takes up an enormous amount of space in the machine.

I have a MacBook Pro 2011, which has a DVD drive. Don't think I've spun it up once in 2 years. It can't play movies at a resolution that looks great on my 4K display, it can't even store a single game (you need 6-7 DVD's for that now) and USB keys are much more versatile for back up. Music still comes on CD's, but even there people are moving back to vinyl for physical or just going all digital download.
    i play older games. YEAH i know so hard to think of. which need dvd-cd drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Drivers from a DVD are almost always out of date. No point really installing them if one has a internet connection, and who doesn't.
    until your hard drive dies and you realize you forgot to put those drivers on a usb stick.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    ive never liked apple and i used old macs, back in the early 90's they was terrible then and there terrible now, did you know that apple also made a console in the 90's called pippin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayn View Post
    I saw the new Macbooks and they are piss poor in performance, lack ports and the price is too high. Its not worth it. Its basically an Apple netbook, that is good for browsing the web and enjoy basic media. Can someone enlighten me, why Apple is going downhill? I remember back in the day Steve Jobs hated many cables that were connected to an average PC and look at the macbook now, you need all sorts 5 in 1 ports to get it working for your needs.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook - £1000 for a netbook?!?! I would understand the macbook pro would cost that much, but a bad in performance netbook?
    Hint: DO NOT BUY IT.

I bought many Apple products. I bought the latest iPhone when I have heard that they are getting rid of 3.5 jack; I refuse to buy a ntb with only one port. Solved - I am not buying any more, until it is worth to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Hint: DO NOT BUY IT.

I bought many Apple products. I bought the latest iPhone when I have heard that they are getting rid of 3.5 jack; I refuse to buy a ntb with only one port. Solved - I am not buying any more, until it is worth to do so.
    Why would they get rid of the 3.5 jack? Everything is Bluetooth now? That'll drive me away for sure.

I only got an iphone due to a promotion with T-Mobile, I sort of miss my galaxy S6, but the battery life of my iphone has thusfar proven superior and that's more important to me.

As for the notebook, that's ridiculously priced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Why would they get rid of the 3.5 jack? Everything is Bluetooth now? That'll drive me away for sure.

I only got an iphone due to a promotion with T-Mobile, I sort of miss my galaxy S6, but the battery life of my iphone has thusfar proven superior and that's more important to me.

Because of design. They also made FAKE holes to mimic the other side where the speaker is, to appear symetric.

EDIT - not BT, but the Lightning connector. Which is nowhere as resilient as the 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Because of design. They also made FAKE holes to mimic the other side where the speaker is, to appear symetric.
    So they want to get rid of wired headphone usability due to design? Can you link a source on that please? I'd like to read it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post

They're moving audio to the Lightning connector.

So fuck listening to music and charging your phone at the same time I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I see two sides, and in my tech business I use AT LEAST two different systems for each of our clients and I would say most of the time - the Apple products are above the curve for reliability because of how locked down, and the because of the design.

We use Customer built windows desktop computers running windows 10, and our portables are Macbook Pro Retina's running 10.12 and 10.11.6

For our mobility division we run both, iPhone and Nexus - on the tablet, iPad and Nexus/Samsung tablets pending what each person prefers. As long as updates are rolling fixing security bugs on any of our systems, we don't give a damn.

TL;DR - our business runs Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac OS (Linux on some servers, but not for normal end users or clients) - and everything works freaken awesome - So run whatever the hell you what. I love Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung - you name it, if it's new tech - GIVE IT TO ME! <3