Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Wrong topic I'm afraid - this is about the invasions, what you're talking about is the Broken Shore event and the moving of Dalaran - I believe the next part comes this week and it's permanent in the game, even after Legion launches. I agree it seems to end rather abruptly though, I'm not sure why they're staggering that over a couple of weeks instead of releasing it all at once.
    Mmm, I did that part with Khadgar after the Invasion stuff. Thought it was a follow on from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I would'nt even mind dying on the boss (over and over again), but if you are dead and the boss dies you won't get the kill XP.
    Are you sure about that? On the named mobs I am 99% sure I am still getting exp even if I am dead. On all the non-named that I ran arround tagging, the tag seems to expire when you die, so I don't think I am getting exp on those when dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Are you sure about that? On the named mobs I am 99% sure I am still getting exp even if I am dead. On all the non-named that I ran arround tagging, the tag seems to expire when you die, so I don't think I am getting exp on those when dead.
    You will get the shards from the named mobs but no xp from them or any other while dead.

I haven't found it to be too bad. I've been doing then on my low gear Arms Warrior (703) and I tend to die once maybe every second invasion I do. If I'm paying attention and can actually see the mechanic, then I can typically leap away and wait it out. It seems like it's working well for what it is.

Hmmm chaos and anarchy during a demon invasion? Wow what a surprise!

The fact that shit isn't working like normal is the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I haven't found it to be too bad. I've been doing then on my low gear Arms Warrior (703) and I tend to die once maybe every second invasion I do. If I'm paying attention and can actually see the mechanic, then I can typically leap away and wait it out. It seems like it's working well for what it is.

You are missing the point entirely. Your toon is level 100 and has a chance to survive those attacks. They hit a player at level 100 damage so lower level players not lower geared players get one shotted. It is much harder to avoid said moves as even you say they get you for a melee toon. If one dies on top of it and doesn't get back before boss dies they lose the xp for tagging the boss which is near equal to the xp for finishing the stage which is close to 100k xp. On some low level toons that is a whole level of xp lost.

The best tank I've seen so far is that dwarf NPC in Kharanos... I'm not sure if other zones have NPC tanks too? The problem is that some idiot keeps taunting from the NPC and getting one shot. Good times

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    You will get the shards from the named mobs but no xp from them or any other while dead.
    I'll test this when I get home, I am pretty sure it's like a raid or dungeon boss where you do still get exp and rewards even if you are dead at the kill, but I was wrong once (when I thought I had been wrong).

Hmmm chaos and anarchy during a demon invasion? Wow what a surprise!

The fact that shit isn't working like normal is the whole point.
    Yes but they did a good job of scaling these events except for the moves on the final bosses which hit everyone at level 100 damage that is the complaint. Yes, is it first world minor problems that someone lost some xp on a alt. Still doesn't change the fact it does happen though.

You are missing the point entirely. Your toon is level 100 and has a chance to survive those attacks. They hit a player at level 100 damage so lower level players not lower geared players get one shotted. It is much harder to avoid said moves as even you say they get you for a melee toon. If one dies on top of it and doesn't get back before boss dies they lose the xp for tagging the boss which is near equal to the xp for finishing the stage which is close to 100k xp. On some low level toons that is a whole level of xp lost.
    The OP doesn't mention this being an issue for low level characters, it's mentioned as being an issue for melee ones.

The best tank I've seen so far is that dwarf NPC in Kharanos... I'm not sure if other zones have NPC tanks too? The problem is that some idiot keeps taunting from the NPC and getting one shot. Good times

- - - Updated - - -

I'll test this when I get home, I am pretty sure it's like a raid or dungeon boss where you do still get exp and rewards even if you are dead at the kill, but I was wrong once (when I thought I had been wrong).
    No you don't in a dungeon or raid either, raids never give any of or of much xp anyway, in any thing in game if dead you get no xp. How the game has always been designed. Can still get he shards or end of stage xp but none from any mobs tagged.
    Last edited by Jewsco; 2016-08-22 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    So far for me, the worst thing is that it ends so abruptly and the next part is not presented to us yet. I searched the forums to make sure it wasnt a bug because it felt like it just didnt give me the next part even though it gave me the context of it.

That is not good quest design at all.
    The invasion dies off, and focuses around the boss at the main invasion point.
    You kill the boss and mop up the remainders.
    The 'representative' of that invasion defense thanks you via talking head.

Do you have talking head disabled via addons etc?

To clarify the exp thing - you get the stage completion exp but not the mob exp while dead. This goes for invasions and pretty much anything else
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

The OP doesn't mention this being an issue for low level characters, it's mentioned as being an issue for melee ones.
    Still an issue for level 100's too though specially if tanking as you have pointed out you die to it and even more for the lower the level one is.
    Last edited by Jewsco; 2016-08-22 at 12:02 PM.

You will get the stage XP and the rewards (like the box and the shards), but you won't be awarded the boss kill xp which might even be higher than the XP you get for the final stage.

Still an issue for level 100's too though specially if tanking as you have pointed out you die to it and even more for the lower the level on is.
    Well... yes. The possibility exists that you can die if you aren't paying attention or get unlucky. Why is this inherently a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You don't even have to tag.
    unless you want the XP.

Yes but they did a good job of scaling these events except for the moves on the final bosses which hit everyone at level 100 damage that is the complaint. Yes, is it first world minor problems that someone lost some xp on a alt. Still doesn't change the fact it does happen though.
    I don't like to be one of those guys who waxes poetic about the good old days, so forgive me if I come across that way--- but, I remember the last invasion we had for the TBC launch, there were times where you had zero ability to control your fate. The invasions were not even optional. They came into SW and Org and absolutely wrecked anyone that wasn't max level in good gear.

The positive side of that, I remember those times fondly because of that chaos, the annoyances have long been forgotten.

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't in a dungeon or raid either, raids never give any of or of much xp anyway, in any thing in game if dead you get no xp. How the game has always been designed. Can still get he shards or end of stage xp but none from any mobs tagged.
    Like I said, I was wrong once, so I will leave open the possibility that you are right. But I will test and revert

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    You will get the stage XP and the rewards (like the box and the shards), but you won't be awarded the boss kill xp which might even be higher than the XP you get for the final stage.
    Maybe that's what is confusing me. Maybe I saw the stage completion exp and wrongly attributed it to the mob kill. Shit this is going to make me be even less likely to get in melee range

Well... yes. The possibility exists that you can die if you aren't paying attention or get unlucky. Why is this inherently a bad thing?
    Because if using it to level one loses a lot of xp. What is so hard for you to get here?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You don't even have to tag.
    For gear drops correct. For exp, wrong. Not sure about shards.

The bosses have pretty avoidable abilities. The Rush in and rush out one is easy, the doomlord with the firey voidzones and cripple is less so but manageable (if some idiot tank doesn't turn it around into the raid group just as its going to deepbreath (this one dude once nuked ALL the people present this way), but other stuff is a pain in the ass because it needs other people to participate.

Nathrizim with vampiric aura who summon infernals need people to shoot them down quick or they kill the entire raid.

Rolling meteors which fixate on people and deal out instant death have idiots going through the middle of the raid group half the time while people ignore them instead of burning them down.

And lets not forget when whoever has the bosses attention thinks its a brilliant idea to pull the boss to the GY, thinking they are giving people quick access but really just letting the boss insta kill people the moment

I don't like to be one of those guys who waxes poetic about the good old days, so forgive me if I come across that way--- but, I remember the last invasion we had for the TBC launch, there were times where you had zero ability to control your fate. The invasions were not even optional. They came into SW and Org and absolutely wrecked anyone that wasn't max level in good gear.

The positive side of that, I remember those times fondly because of that chaos, the annoyances have long been forgotten.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, I was wrong once, so I will leave open the possibility that you are right. But I will test and revert

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe that's what is confusing me. Maybe I saw the stage completion exp and wrongly attributed it to the mob kill. Shit this is going to make me be even less likely to get in melee range
    That is it exactly you are getting the end stage xp but missing the xp from tagging the boss. Which for lower levels is equal to the end stage xp. So lossing nearly double the xp. When leveling a toon that is big. So I'll put you down for being wrong more than once now.