Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Switched a year ago, never looked back. Discord is superior to things like Teamspeak and Mumble and Ventrilo in every conceivable way - and it's free to top it off.

Deleted
    We moved from mumble to discord and it is amazing. Mobile app works great and i have nothing bad to say about it. Latency is fine, audio is better than mumble and being able to text chat is nice. I also like discords overlay

We've been using TS3 for ages, and will continue doing so. There's literally not a single reason to switch. Moreover TS3 has better voice - it's not even a question.

we have moved from TS3 to Curse and we are damn happy about it.
    Wut wut wut in the mud

Deleted
    I like Discord, but I experienced problems with voices not transmitting or lagging in the last couple of days. And that's only within our testing phase (several people complain about switching from something that works to something that's new).

+ Text channels for consistent information like boss strats or now, nearing release: hints and tipps for legion
    + easy to join a server with the invite system

- voice problems as mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Inferior sound quality, ugly and unfit-for-purpose GUI, no auto-volume control; have to edit every users volume individually, etc.
    I have most all the differnet VOIPs installed (Vent, TS3, Mumble), I guess I just got old man ears. The difference between them to me, in fairly indistinguishable. I have no idea what "unfit for Purpose GUI" means. I log into to whichever and then minimize it and don't look at it again until I log out, so I'm not sure how ugly applies

But I understand that there are people who log into VOIP before they log into the game and they don't like to play unless they are live chatting with people. Our vent stays mostly empty until raid time and after raid it's empty. So maybe that's why I don't see how still using it is the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    becuase vent sounds like your talking through a robots asshole. I dont know how people can choose it over teamspeak or even ffs mumble.
    I don't know that I've had such an experience on any consistent basis. From my experience the people who sound the worse are the ones on dial-up internet talking through the $3 Wal Mart headsets. Maybe in Legion I'll get more of a chance to hop in the different VOIPs and see
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-08-22 at 11:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly have absolutely no clue what people are on about in terms of "inferior sound quality" when it comes to Discord.
    Perhaps it's one of those things like "120 fps is clearly far superior to 100", despite there hardly being any discernable difference to the human eye.
    Or people are trying to justify to themselves why they are spending money on other services while there are comparable free ones.

Out of my community of 30 or so raiders, noone has had any complaints whatsoever with Discord's sound quality or its functions. And the chatroom setup turns it into a dynamic messaging hub to boot.

I've also run TS3 for many, many years prior to Discord and let me tell you I experienced the same amount of technical difficulties, if not more, on that paid service.

I'm not trying to advertise for them or anything, but I honestly can't see anything to critisize about Discord, nor do I see what quality of life I would be missing that I'd have to pay for with a different service.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I guess I just got old man ears. The difference between them to me, in fairly indistinguishable.
    It's mainly that the encoding is crap. I have a condenser microphone that has the capability to sound like a studio recorded audiobook, yet on TS it sounds almost the same.

Going to continue to use mumble for the forseeable future, we currently host it ourselves so it costs us effectively nothing. I can't even remember the last time we had an issue that wasn't just a user fault.

If we did jump it may only be for enhanced text chat, but from my experience the voice quality isn't any better (and mumble has always been great for latency / connection)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quality of sound is going to be low in gaming anyway. That's not what matters the most. It the latency. Last time I heard TS was slightly better than Mumble at that. I wouldn't easily believe that this has better latency than them, especially in some regions, considering the server might not be suitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    Quality of sound is going to be low in gaming anyway. That's not what matters the most. It the latency. Last time I heard TS was slightly better than Mumble at that. I wouldn't easily believe that this has better latency than them, especially in some regions, considering the server might not be suitable.
    Have not had any issues on that front with Discord either (13/13M).

Quote Originally Posted by Adrim View Post
    You're old fashioned.

You're clearly ignorant and just playing fearmonger.

Cloud services like AWS cost virtually nothing. Pennies per gigabyte of data. Two college kids made a competitor to the $10million Australian Census website using it. The major costs of starting an Internet business are writing the software not running the servers. And writing software is something that can be done by a couple talented kids in their spare time.

The name of the game is membership. Microsoft didn't buy Skype because they had no idea how to make a VoIP client. They wanted the members. Ditto for AOL buying ICQ and so on.

If Discord gets several hundred thousand people using their service, even if they are losing money hand over fist, then they win. Because someone will buy them just for that many potential customers because they are 1) a way to get into the growing eSports marketplace or 2) a way for a less popular but well-funded company to leapfrog their competitor.

Say whatever you want about Discord the service or Discord the software but please keep useless speculation about business models to yourself.
    So first things first. Fear Mongering isn't what I am currently doing. That would be easy type a few lines about how awful Discord/TS/Vent/Mumble/CurseVoice/RaidCall...

As an Officer in a guild there business model does scare me. With a free service you will never know if one day you will wake up with a 404 error saying the website doesn't exist anymore since they simply ran out of money. Now I don't want to switch to a service which has literally no transparency offering a service like this.

If members is the name of the game; what's stopping someone buying it tomorrow and suddenly everyone has to pay a monthly subscription or spamming us with adds?

A lot of people seem to be looking into the cost.. My question; what if there wasn't a cost? What service would you use?
    I ask for the reason that I solely pay for the TS server. I waste a lot more then $60 a year on much more stupid expenses.

It's mainly that the encoding is crap. I have a condenser microphone that has the capability to sound like a studio recorded audiobook, yet on TS it sounds almost the same.
    Maybe my bar for what is consider terrible needs to be adjusted. The worst I've heard is the built in PS4 voip in which everyone sounds like a 12 year old girl. For the first time in 10 years I played Call of Duty(Black Ops3). and it's Built in VOIP is also pretty rough. I've never had Vent sound like those two, so I can't consider it terrible.

Deleted
    My previous guild switched to it mid-progression, there were no big problems. Our TS3 sub was running out and Discord was a free alternative which we had heard good things about.
    A total of 5 or 6 hours of downtime in our experience of 11 months, not much different than the average TS3/Vent/Mumble host.

Voice-chat wise it's a voip client and not much else. We never needed any additional features, we only needed individual volume adjustment.

It did make us a lot more socially active, since the client launches on startup and you just autojoin your last voice channel. The uploading and embedding functionality made it a killer app for us.

Deleted
    According to this Mumble has the lowest latency.

The only gripe I have with Discord is that there's no minimalistic UI for VOIP only. I like to keep Mumble window open on my second monitor and the size of window that can show 20+ players on Mumble, Discord can maybe show 10 or less. Also that same sized window on Mumble can still show chat and we don't really use that for anything else than posting links. I know there's some custom skins and stuff for Discord but I can't be arsed to look for them while Mumble still does everything I need for VOIP.

For IRC-like chat-wall thing Discord is fucking great, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Change My Name View Post
    So first things first. Fear Mongering isn't what I am currently doing. That would be easy type a few lines about how awful Discord/TS/Vent/Mumble/CurseVoice/RaidCall...

As an Officer in a guild there business model does scare me. With a free service you will never know if one day you will wake up with a 404 error saying the website doesn't exist anymore since they simply ran out of money. Now I don't want to switch to a service which has literally no transparency offering a service like this.

If members is the name of the game; what's stopping someone buying it tomorrow and suddenly everyone has to pay a monthly subscription or spamming us with adds?

A lot of people seem to be looking into the cost.. My question; what if there wasn't a cost? What service would you use?
    I ask for the reason that I solely pay for the TS server. I waste a lot more then $60 a year on much more stupid expenses.
    If none of them had a cost attached I would still use Discord simply for its outstanding design that turns it into more than just a voice tool. Aspects like being able to connect via browser through a link, having the main interface function like a chatroom etc make it very appealing to me.

There's nothing wrong with services like TS3 or Mumble, they just have fewer bells and whistles in exchange for (apparently) hight audio quality, which most people don't care about. It's certainly not at the level of discrepancy of one sounding like a tin can and the other like an HD recording.

Was this made by the people who made Slack or something? It looks almost identical ...

On-Topic: I see no reason to switch over for WoW. It seems much more like a Multi-Game Clan Chat System. Not something for those just generally interested in Raiding / PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Have not had any issues on that front with Discord either (13/13M).
    My guild is more Heroic oriented, but I do have a couple of Mythic raiders that come with us on their off nights. They begged me to keep TS3 over Discord because of latency issues. I wanted to test it out anyways, because I like that it's free, and the damn thing wouldn't recognize my mic, my fiance's mic, or the mic of my friend in Gainesville (Two hour drive from Orlando where I live). I spent a couple of hours trying to fiddle with both Discord's settings and my mic's setting and just couldn't figure it out. My friend only got it to work when he went out and bought a new mic. Out of 15 raiders, 5 had serious issues with Discord, including myself, and I hadn't even talked to everyone about it yet.

I wish I was in your boat, as I like not paying for VoIP on top of my sub fee, but it just wasn't working out. For now, we have to stick to TS3.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2016-08-22 at 12:39 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

My guild switched from Mumble to discord more than a year ago, mumble was just getting way too unstable and we rarely have had any issues with instability when using Discord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    My guild is more Heroic oriented, but I do have a couple of Mythic raiders that come with us on their off nights. They begged me to keep TS3 over Discord because of latency issues. I wanted to test it out anyways, because I like that it's free, and the damn thing wouldn't recognize my mic, my fiance's mic, or the mic of my friend in Gainesville (Two hour drive from Orlando where I live). I spent a couple of hours trying to fiddle with both Discord's settings and my mic's setting and just couldn't figure it out. My friend only got it to work when he went out and bought a new mic. Out of 15 raiders, 5 had serious issues with Discord, including myself, and I hadn't even talked to everyone about it yet.

I wish I was in your boat, as I like not paying for VoIP on top of my sub fee, but it just wasn't working out. For now, we have to stick to TS3.
    That's very odd, out of 30ish raiders none have had any serious issues like that at all in my case.