Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'm getting confused here.
    Are people triggered by rules that are there to so that people won't get triggered?
    You guys are like the SJWs of the anit-SJWs. It's super wierd!

They should do whatever they feel like. It's their platform, not yours or anyone elses.

My house is blue. I'm not going to paint it in some other color just becuase you don't like the color blue.
    Its more like you own the paint store and decide you wont sell anyone red paint because you think red is racist. I am in favor of everyone being allowed to say what they want short of threats of violence and disclosing certain privileged information. Now because the modern tools of communication are all privately owned, in order for people to have a meaningful discussion the owners of these social media sites have a moral duty to be extremely careful with any "censoring" they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    and people like you are the ones that don't value it as a concept outside of its legal wording.
    I value real freedom of speech highly. But I dont have any problems with banning kids and basement dwellers that write essays on "<insert race here> are worse than whites" or people that rile up others to hate on a person just because they dont share your opinion.

Hate speech is not freedom of speech in my book. If it is in yours, then I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Honestly, if you cannot find a way to communicate effectively without the need to resort to hate or bigotry, then you don't deserve the privelege of being allowed to speak on a public platform.
    and who would you trust to define what is and isn't hate and bigotry?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    I value real freedom of speech highly. But I dont have any problems with banning kids and basement dwellers that write essays on "<insert race here> are worse than whites" or people that rile up others to hate on a person just because they dont share your opinion.

Hate speech is not freedom of speech in my book. If it is in yours, then I feel sorry for you.
    how specific. and a good example of why people shouldn't have the power of government to ban speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    We are again, talking about if they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do it. Saying "up to them" is adding absolutely nothing to the discussion. Also, your house is your private property and not space open to the public, and public spaces have other rules than private homes.

Who is to say what is hate and bigotry then? If I say that "X demographic is proportionally responsible for more crime than Y demographic" is it hate-speech? What if I say "X does more crime than Y" is it then?
    Public spaces usually aren't owned by "private corporations"

ATT used to have a public space, one day they decided, "nah close it." and then no one could go. I mean do you honestly think, If I buy say a plot of land, make it a park, that I can't say "no ill language." It's my fucking park, it's a private park that I have opened to the public. I can ban any speech I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

ATT used to have a public space, one day they decided, "nah close it." and then no one could go. I mean do you honestly think, If I buy say a plot of land, make it a park, that I can't say "no ill language." It's my fucking park, it's a private park that I have opened to the public. I can ban any speech I wish.
    which makes your action explicitly anti-free speech

you are literately celebrating people being banned from talking because they disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    how specific. and a good example of why people shouldn't have the power of government to ban speech.
    I'm sorry that you didn't get the message, I'll try to add every single etnicity combination in my next post.

It's their platform and they do what they want with it.

all we're talking about is upholding values in a company. if said company wishes to be against free speech internally then so be it.
    They don't have an obligation to upholding any values shared by users or customers. It's irrelevant if a comapny believeshe differently internally.

They simply don't (and likely will not) have to agree with the allowance of speech by its users or customers.

Customers may desire such but if they are being under served or handled in a manner contract to their values- they should seek another platform or bussiness.

you are literately celebrating people being banned from talking because they disagree with you.
    I guess thats on way to look at it, if you're still in high school.
    If you think hate speech should be a part of the modern world then I feel sorry for you.

which makes your action explicitly anti-free speech
    Then you don't know what the fuck free speech is.

I really don't get it... why do people like talking about free speech, when they literally have no idea what it means and how it works.

I'm sorry that you didn't get the message, I'll try to add every single etnicity combination in my next post.

It's their platform and they do what they want with it.
    or just "racial superiority"

but is a cold, scientific claim also a hateful one?

and why the emphasis on basement dwellers? do people who live in the park, or in apartments or mansions have the right to propose racial superiority?

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't get it... why do people like talking about free speech, when they literally have no idea what it means and how it works.
    No I understand, because I've thought a bit past "free speech is only government stuff"

But you could not say "no black people in my park!". So why should you be able to say "no people who happen to like cake in my park!". We are also, once again, talking about if they should or should not ban certain opinions.

Free speech is being able to hold any opinion or point of view without being scrutinized or punished for it, and also being able to voice this opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They don't have an obligation to upholding any values shared by users or customers. It's irrelevant if a comapny believeshe differently internally.

They simply don't (and likely will not) have to agree with the allowance of speech by its users or customers.

Customers may desire such but if they are being under served or handled in a manner contract to their values- they should seek another platform or bussiness.
    They have a financial obligation to their customers. If twitter users and ad companies want an open and free speech company, twitter is financially obligated to follow that.

If you don't understand that, maybe rethink your position.

no we just value it as a concept more then just how it protects us from the government. free speech as a concept is about letting everyone openly state what they think, open discussion and dialog with no one being able to say "no you cant say that ". its about letting the best idea win thru discussion and not silencing the other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    But you could not say "no black people in my park!". So why should you be able to say "no people who happen to like cake in my park!". We are also, once again, talking about if they should or should not ban certain opinions.
    Blatant discrimination is an entirely different set of rules you know right? We are talking about "speech" here, not anti-discrimination laws.

I guess thats on way to look at it, if you're still in high school.
    If you think hate speech should be a part of the modern world then I feel sorry for you.
    i think banning "hate speech" is ultimately just a tool to silence those you disagree with and again i will ask who you would trust to define what hate speech is?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The people who are offended by it.
    I am offended already!

no we just value it as a concept more then just how it protects us from the government. free speech as a concept is about letting everyone openly state what they think, open discussion and dialog with no one being able to say "no you cant say that ". its about letting the best idea win thru discussion and not silencing the other ideas.
    Oh fuck that stupid bullshit. "Let the best idea win don't silence others" well if history has proven anything it's that people sure to love to follow those stupid ideas that lead to many ills on society.

Let's say there's a person in my park who is just calling all latino people visinting my park spics. He doesn't actually argue anything he just keeps calling them all spics. Well it's my private park "you get the fuck out, you offer nothing"

- - - Updated - - -

i think banning "hate speech" is ultimately just a tool to silence those you disagree with and again i will ask who you would trust to define what hate speech is?
    "It's not hate speech, you're just a pussy who can't argue so you want to silence the man who is trying to rile up an army to take out a muslim town upstate."

Blatant discrimination is an entirely different set of rules you know right? We are talking about "speech" here, not anti-discrimination laws.
    We are talking about you saying that it is your private property and you can do whatever the fuck you want with it, and I am simply pointing out that spaces open to the public have certain rules to it. I can say that I don't want black people to come into my house, but if my house was a store, I could not. And this discussion is also about if it should be allowed to ban certain kinds of speech, aka not allowing free speech on a public platform used for communication, aka social media.

Oh fuck that stupid bullshit. "Let the best idea win don't silence others" well if history has proven anything it's that people sure to love to follow those stupid ideas that lead to many ills on society.

Let's say there's a person in my park who is just calling all latino people visinting my park spics. He doesn't actually argue anything he just keeps calling them all spics. Well it's my private park "you get the fuck out, you offer nothing"

- - - Updated - - -

"It's not hate speech, you're just a pussy who can't argue so you want to silence the man who is trying to rile up an army to take out a muslim town upstate."
    Now you are talking about harassment and inciting violence. Going into a park and yelling "I hate latino people!" and walking up to someone and saying "I hate you, you damn spic" is two entirely different things. And at the same time saying "Fuck those muslims living upsate in that town" and saying "Fuck those muslims living upsate in that town, lets go kill them all" is also two entirely different things.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2016-08-22 at 01:13 PM.