Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What did the monster feed on before the gate, though? Nightmares?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    What did the monster feed on before the gate, though? Nightmares?
    My thinking on that is what if the larvae and slug are one creature and the demogorgon is entirely different.

Had the demogorgon been feeding on the egg? I say that because when 11 finds the demogorgon it looks to be at or doing something to an egg. What if it feed off the eggs to another creature. The other creature needing hosts to breed like in aliens.

Not one creature or life cycle but 2 different ones. The large and slug generating the new thesselhydra we here about at the end and the demogorgon just another weaker creature that feeds off what it can find.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-08-21 at 02:55 PM.

I liked it. Had some plot holes, but those could just be setups for next season. If you only ever watched s1 of LOST and didn't know anything else you'd be much more confused.

I wonder how Stephen King feels? Personally, I'd feel proud that basically he's birthing the next generation of horror tellers. This show is pretty much a theme right out of Stephen King, about how the Norman Rockwell-ness of small town American life is just like a thin veneer over a horrific, grotesque, and sometimes supernatural freak show. If anything, it reminded me of IT and The Body (the movie Stand By Me was based on The Body), because it had that whole feel of kids being the last believers of magic in the world, and thus often the last bastions against the supernatural and evil. King does a lot of work in this area, hell, there's some kid doing something in almost all his books.

As for show-specific stuff: My theory is that Will was in the egg, and it wasn't an egg, it was a cocoon. After all, there's no indication the flower monster incubates things. I think the flower monster was probably once a man who is the end result that Will is going to go through. And I think El might go through it soon too, if she's really in the Upside Down.

I do like that they subverted the "jock is an asshole, girl ends up with the shy guy" trope.

I miss playing D&D as a kid, man.

And man, growing up in the 80s - I miss it. There was still a sense of mystery and foreboding in the world. You went out in the afternoons on your bike and didn't know where you'd get to.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I do like that they subverted the "jock is an asshole, girl ends up with the shy guy" trope.
    I still felt he was an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    SNIP...

I wonder how Stephen King feels? Personally, I'd feel proud that basically he's birthing the next generation of horror tellers. This show is pretty much a theme right out of Stephen King, about how the Norman Rockwell-ness of small town American life is just like a thin veneer over a horrific, grotesque, and sometimes supernatural freak show. If anything, it reminded me of IT and The Body (the movie Stand By Me was based on The Body), because it had that whole feel of kids being the last believers of magic in the world, and thus often the last bastions against the supernatural and evil. King does a lot of work in this area, hell, there's some kid doing something in almost all his books.
    He's apparently quite thrilled with it all.
    http://screencrush.com/stranger-thin...n-king-praise/

As for show-specific stuff: My theory is that Will was in the egg, and it wasn't an egg, it was a cocoon. After all, there's no indication the flower monster incubates things. I think the flower monster was probably once a man who is the end result that Will is going to go through. And I think El might go through it soon too, if she's really in the Upside Down.

Not a theory I sold on. In one scene where 11 is actuallly looking for the monster. It seems to be eating or nurturing an egg. 11 touches it and shit hits the fan. I don't think people turn into the monster. The Duffer brothers seem to have taken many ideas and I have no doubt Aliens is one of them. Something laying an egg. A larvae that needs a host to implant a slug till it can hatch (which may or may not kill the host depending on [insert even more questions here]. I feel like there is a creature that has always been out their (and more than one) in that upside down dimension and 11 just recently tapped into it allowing it access to ours. There is some kind of weird life cycle going on we just don't fully know yet. I kinda bet we get a similar experience that we saw in Aliens and then Aliens.

My thinking on that is. The first time around we get a bits and pieces of the monster and just one. The second time around they explain a bit more. The mention of a thessalhydra and the 7 heads Mike talked about. Then you add that information to the comment Brenner made with 6 people missing. What if all 6 birth a slug along with Will (who just happened to stay alive) - You get 7 that grow up into something.

I just don't think they will turn into anything.

I miss playing D&D as a kid, man.

And man, growing up in the 80s - I miss it. There was still a sense of mystery and foreboding in the world. You went out in the afternoons on your bike and didn't know where you'd get to.
    There was some talk in the reddit about him. Maybe he wasn't the Asshole everyone thought but more who he hung around with. It's long been said you are who you hang around with and his 2 friends were indeed grade "A" assholes. Maybe he was a little jealous, maybe he got pissed off when another boy was taking photos of his girl (who wouldn't be pissed). Maybe he got mad when he saw said bot with his girl but unfortunately didn't know the situation.

Not to far off from real life situations. Given Nancy had such a huge crush on him and he did redeem himself. I'm not shocked Nancy went back with him but it does leave the door open for jonathon and Nancy in later seasons when shit hits the fan again with Will. Even in the end I'd bet he helped replace the broken camera.

I'm there with you on the D&D and thing. The long nights of playing. The freedom of the 80's most kids these days will never understand. So much of that show hits home for that time right along with the movies it tries to simulate.

Such a good TV show. Can't wait for season two and back to Hawkins.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-08-22 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    -snip-.
    I agree with your assessment, that there's two creatures in the Upside Down I just think that Wil is one of them.

Think of this:

1) Mom and Modine find the blood in the alternate version of her house, and start tracking it. This is from the monster which attacked the teens, which a) didn't come in through the walls like previous monsters, and b) teleported out, sort of like Will switched back and forth at the end of the season. I think the teens actually saw two monsters.....the first was the wall-bursting one...and then it mysteriously disappeared because it knew the Will-monster was coming. Why is Will so good at avoiding the petalface? Is it really because he that good at hiding? Or is it because Petalface is so much more cautious around him than, say, Barb or the two hunters who went missing.

2) Mom and Modine follow the blood from the house, to the library, where the only alive thing they find is Will, with an incubator thingy in his mouth. Maybe it's a thing to regenerate him, maybe it's Petalface's attempt to heal him or consume him, IDK. But Will was definitely treated differently from Barb and the others, for some reason - Petalface seemed to kill those ones immediately. Maybe because Will is the first, some force in the Upside Down sees him as a potential successor. IDK.

3) Petalface bursts out of the wall at the school, which, as far as we know, is some distance from the library, which is in the center of town. And then 11 banishes it, and there's some suggestion she goes there to the Upside Down. What if she becomes the 2nd monster, and in some timey wimey shit she's the one who recognizes Will and doesn't kill him. How does she recognize Will in the photo in an earlier episode anyways? Or Barb? There's no indication that she's been channeling people she doesn't know in her spare time. But she clearly seems to recognize both the first time she sees their picture. What's up with that?

I took a leap of faith and watched the first episode last night. It seems pretty good so far and the creators did an awesome job at capturing the '80's feel'. I'm going to watch the second episode later this evening.

[QUOTE=eschatological;42000827]I agree with your assessment, that there's two creatures in the Upside Down I just think that Wil is one of them.

Here is why I don't think Will is a monster.
    There were six other people taken besides Will. Barb being one and she is clearly dead. How she died doesn't matter as much in this instance as that she is truly dead and was hatching a slug. She didn't change. Just a host like Will. Will escaped before he could be drained from the upside down or the slug parasite. While I think Will is changed in some way, I don't think he's a monster. Changed because of the upside down and it's toxic but just a host for the slug and a creature it turns into we have not seen yet. Different than the demogorgon.

In your example. Do you mean Joyce and Hopper? Not Modine. Modine AKA Dr. Brenner was the head scientist.
    Think of this:

1) Mom and Modine find the blood in the alternate version of her house, and start tracking it. This is from the monster which attacked the teens, which a) didn't come in through the walls like previous monsters, and b) teleported out, sort of like Will switched back and forth at the end of the season. I think the teens actually saw two monsters.....the first was the wall-bursting one...and then it mysteriously disappeared because it knew the Will-monster was coming. Why is Will so good at avoiding the petalface? Is it really because he that good at hiding? Or is it because Petalface is so much more cautious around him than, say, Barb or the two hunters who went missing.
    I think the monster just went back through the floor. Not the wall or ceiling but shadow walked none the less. We never see the monster actually leave our realm at any point. Only enter it as a ripping of the dimensional walls. Going back for it seems a bit smoother. I still think it was the same monster. I think Will had the advantage of the gun as well as knowing the area. He was just good at hiding and even if the area was decaying and unnatural. He knows the area. Knew the good places to hide as well as it doesn't seem the monster just jumps on and kills it prey right off the bat. Just like barb had a slight change at living but was trapped in the pool, made too much noise and couldn't get away. Still one monster though.

2) Mom and Modine follow the blood from the house, to the library, where the only alive thing they find is Will, with an incubator thingy in his mouth. Maybe it's a thing to regenerate him, maybe it's Petalface's attempt to heal him or consume him, IDK. But Will was definitely treated differently from Barb and the others, for some reason - Petalface seemed to kill those ones immediately. Maybe because Will is the first, some force in the Upside Down sees him as a potential successor. IDK.
    The reason the only thing alive there is all in the timing. The monster got attacked to all the blood at the school. It went after it and if you look at the monster from the house (prefire) and the one at the school you can see it is indeed charred at the school. I don't think the larvae and slug have anything to do with the demogorgon. I think it's another monster doing something and the demogorgon is the "ant" worker so to speak. A similar setup to Aliens. Another movie the Duffer Brothers looked at for ideas. Different life cycle but still one creature. One creature trying to hatch many more.

3) Petalface bursts out of the wall at the school, which, as far as we know, is some distance from the library, which is in the center of town. And then 11 banishes it, and there's some suggestion she goes there to the Upside Down. What if she becomes the 2nd monster, and in some timey wimey shit she's the one who recognizes Will and doesn't kill him. How does she recognize Will in the photo in an earlier episode anyways? Or Barb? There's no indication that she's been channeling people she doesn't know in her spare time. But she clearly seems to recognize both the first time she sees their picture. What's up with that?
    It is a good distance away but the monster is pretty fast. Even injured, its fast and we truely don't know how time works in the Upside down. Does it run slower there? IS that why Will could seem to survive longer without food and water? The monster could travel there but on our side it would appear to happen so much faster.

I definitely don't think she because a second monster. I think all she did was found it by accident. She was asked to make first constant by Brenner. I think with the Russian, she was already stretching her powers so far in that mental limbo she goes to. She she overreached and tapped into the upside down where she accidentally heard the monster first. Later she was asked to find it specifically and face it. That to me doesn't suggest she found herself but something entirely different. How she knows Will is a good question though.

My thinking on that: Because she can see things we cannot. She saw Will but had no idea who he was. Later when she saw his picture, she was able to put it together that who she saw and the boys friends was one in the same. Same reason goes for Barb. Knew the face but no clue who. She can see things we do not. Maybe in her sleep but as far as her being a monster or the monster. I'm not behind that theory. Too many things that tell me the monster is one thing she accidentally found. A dimension she accidentally tapped into and it allowed the monster to know we exist when she touched it.

Last edited by quras; 2016-08-22 at 07:19 PM.

This is my favorite television show of all time now.

Shotgunned the entire series in one setting and was slack jawed every episode. I adored every moment totally.

My goodness, I could write a book about this show. Fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is my favorite television show of all time now.

Shotgunned the entire series in one setting and was slack jawed every episode. I adored every moment totally.

My goodness, I could write a book about this show. Fabulous.
    I think I'm right there with you. Reddit post was talking about top 10 shows people really love. I am now struggling to think of one I binged watched a solid 8 episodes and wanted more as soon as possible.

Haven't ever been this hooked to a show.

Deleted
    Thb one of THE most overhyped things atm.

And damn me has Wyonna gotten old.....I remember the days when she was hot....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashix View Post
    Well I only actually heard of this a few days ago and I've now watched all 8 episodes. I absolutely loved it. I really hope there's a season 2.
    There has been no word yet but I can't see how it wouldn't happen as long as the Duffer Brothers have a good continuing story. There are enough questions going around about the show people want to see answered.

I honestly have no doubt there will be a season 2. There just riding out the hype now and will announce it later when things claim down a bit.

Some cool fan art

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Some cool fan art
    This is the point tbh where you expect the doctor to show up

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post

Well, look at the movie "Monster" they made the GORGEOUS Charlie Theron look like a trailer park hag, such is make up. I am sure Wynonna when cleaned up to not look like a tired, broke, trashy single mom still looks quite good.

Otherwise, yeh show is not the second coming or anything. Its OK but certainly not the best thing ever.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post

Thems fightin words! She's still hot!

LOVED stranger things, anyone have any other suggestions to watch? Looking for sci fi shows, was looking at the expanse

Freaking LOVED this show. One of the best netflix original shows

Yeah, they worked lots of MKUltra/Monarch Programming into this series, the same as they did with American Horror Story. Definitely interesting series overall but makes me curious how far they're going to go with that in any future seasons and just who is sanctioning it.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malmortius View Post
    LOVED stranger things, anyone have any other suggestions to watch? Looking for sci fi shows, was looking at the expanse
    The expanse is one of the best TV shows I've seen. It's a bit slow though but the special effects are fantastic and the ending of season 1 left quite a bit to look forward to. I freaked out a bit when I saw the girl.
    And that Mars vs ............. space battle was just jaw dropping. Probably the best atmosphere I've experienced, it was quite exciting!
    I have never read the book though.

Loved Stranger Things but I think it's a bit overrated. The kid actors were annoying. They were over acting. But I'm a sucker for all things sci-fi/horror. It was very well done.