Artifact questlines and different spec

Just a couple of questions:

1. If I have 1 - for example - DK, can I do the questline for all 3 artifact weapons with it?
    2. If so, is it available right away or becomes unlockable as expansion progresses?
    3. And finally... Let say the DK I have is Unholy - i.e. uses a two-hander. I do the questline for him and then I want to aquire the Frost artifact (i.e. two one-handers). Can I do this questline playing as Unholy (i.e. still using a two-hander) or is it required for me to change spec and play through the Frost questline as Frost (i.e. use double one-handers, because some abilities won't work with a 2-hander)?
    4. If I play a class that has an off-hand - I read somewhere that I will get a suitable off-hand too. Is it true? Do you get it with an artifact or do you need to do some extra content for it?
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2016-08-22 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    Just a couple of questions:

1. If I have 1 - for example - DK, can I do the questline for all 3 artifact weapons with it?
    2. If so, is it available right away or becomes unlockable as expansion progresses?
    3. And finally... Let say the DK I have is Unholy - i.e. uses a two-hander. I do the questline for him and then I want to aquire the Frost artifact (i.e. two one-handers). Can I do this questline playing as Unholy (i.e. still using a two-hander) or is it required for me to change spec and play through the Frost questline as Frost (i.e. use double one-handers, because some abilities won't work with a 2-hander)?
    1. Yes
    2. They unlock during the leveling process (102 iirc).
    3. I believe you have to play the appropriate spec.

You unlock the quest for the alternative artifact at level 102. Over time you will increase your AP rate to keep the other artifacts slightly behind.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - Yep, you sure can
    2 - No, you get access to quests for the other specs at lvl 102. However you can do all of them at that time. For example on my druid during I started as resto and then got all 3 other artifacts as soon as I hit 102, one right after the other.
    3 - Technically yes. It will try and change you to the appropriate spec when you take the quest but you can change back. But you'll want to keep a backup weapon for each spec because you can't use spec A's artifact on spec B and the quest for spec B will sometimes require you to use abilities unique to that spec. For example the resto quest had me heal and the balance spec had me use solar beam CC. So again, keep a backup weapon for each spec so you can do the quest as that spec.

Thanks for answers, guys!
    I was asking, because I do have a freshly levelled DK and I'd like to do all 3 questlines, but I'm currently invasion-geared as Unholy and I don't know whether I should try to get some 1-handers too

How about this:
    4. If I play a class that has an off-hand - I read somewhere that I will get a suitable off-hand too. Is it true? Do you get it with an artifact or do you need to do some extra content for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you get it with an artifact or do you need to do some extra content for it?
    one hand artifacts come with offhands. you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I was asking, because I do have a freshly levelled DK and I'd like to do all 3 questlines, but I'm currently invasion-geared as Unholy and I don't know whether I should try to get some 1-handers too

How about this:
    Yes, such as the Fire mage. You get the weapon + an OH.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

At 100, you can only choose one (it gives a warning of not being able to chance for a while).

At 102, you can do all of the others available for your class (they are very nice experience in a nice solo enviroment, so you might as well). I got about 3/4th of the was to 103 doing the discipline and shadow ones on my priest (who initially got the holy artifact).

A NPC in your class hall will sell you a weapon that you can use for your off spec to do the artifact questlines. My shaman (as and example) who only has intellect weapons, doesn't need to farm WoD content for some agility weapons to do the enhancement artifact questline. If your bag cleaning gets carried away and you throw out your current weapons, you can just pick up some for gold.

At level 102, you can unlock the other Artifact weapons for your class that you did not choose at level 100. You can play through any of the Artifact questlines as any specialization, e.i. go for the Balance Druid Artifact as a Restoration Druid (even though I would not recommend it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzete View Post
    A NPC in your class hall will sell you a weapon that you can use for your off spec to do the artifact questlines. My shaman (as and example) who only has intellect weapons, doesn't need to farm WoD content for some agility weapons to do the enhancement artifact questline. If your bag cleaning gets carried away and you throw out your current weapons, you can just pick up some for gold.
    You actually dont need to be Enhancement to do the enhancement quest at 102. You can do it as Ele. I did my guardian druid quest at 102 as feral (with the feral artifact equipped).

I tried to do the resto one as feral. It didn't turn out well; so had to Resto that one (with no weapons. too lazy to go back to OH and buy the healing weapon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

is there a catch up method for 2nd spec?

lets say i am main tank , but i want the other weapon for PVP , is there any way to level my 2nd spec weapon or do i have to farm for both?

sorry if its a stupid question havent played in a long time and did not see anything related to catch up for the artefacts

As you move on with your campaign, you unlock the artifacts for the other specs. However, you will want to invest on your main spec and as content progresses, you will definitely feel the gap between this and your offspecs.

There is the artifact knowledge mechanic on the other hand. It is character based, not weapon based and it increases your Artifact Power income. Therefore, you will have an easier time to level your other artifacts, but you will still have to have your major investment on your main spec.

Not quite sure how long the gap will be in the end, however, you will have to heavily consider your character as having a main spec(not role) above the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    is there a catch up method for 2nd spec?

lets say i am main tank , but i want the other weapon for PVP , is there any way to level my 2nd spec weapon or do i have to farm for both?

sorry if its a stupid question havent played in a long time and did not see anything related to catch up for the artefacts
    You can level a 2nd weapon. As an example, if you lvl the tank weapon fairly high, then get and lvl the weapon you want for pvp, it obviously won't be equal to your tank weapon, but you can get a fair start before the artifact power requirements ramp up a ton. The system is made to let you level multiple artifacts to a certain point before it gets more and more difficult (Doing this does mean you are not spending a little on your tank weapon, which may put the cutting edge raider behind, but not by much). Wish I had numbers to give, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    You can level a 2nd weapon. As an example, if you lvl the tank weapon fairly high, then get and lvl the weapon you want for pvp, it obviously won't be equal to your tank weapon, but you can get a fair start before the artifact power requirements ramp up a ton. The system is made to let you level multiple artifacts to a certain point before it gets more and more difficult (Doing this does mean you are not spending a little on your tank weapon, which may put the cutting edge raider behind, but not by much). Wish I had numbers to give, sorry.

ok thanks for the info , guess ill have to sacrifice a little bit to level my pvp weapon then ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    Wish I had numbers to give, sorry.
    Here they are:

Source: AMR Blog
    Kib's Spreadsheet

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Thanks for answers, everyone!

How about this:
    The invasion gear should be pretty generic stats wise. Decent for all 3, maybe great for 1 but not uber for any spec. At least its that way on my mage.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Is there any benefit to doing the secondary artifact quests while leveling or can I focus on leveling with my group?

I'm asking because I personally only intend to play the 1 specc but if it unlocks something like a champion or class hall advancement I will obviously have to do it ASAP.

So does it unlock anything else other than the artifact weapon?