Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ever hear of the Giant of Kandahar (Afghanistan)?

I like military legends. One recent one was the Giant of Kandahar. The story goes that in 2002, US armed forces encountered a 12-15ft tall giant and, after two engagements, managed to kill it. Truth or not, it's a fascinating story.

There's also a bit about the "fairies" found in Mexico here too toward the end.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2016-08-22 at 03:04 PM.

Nope. Never heard of this tale.

Sons of Goliath that live in the present age.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Did this giant have body armor? Otherwise those soldiers suck.

<---Was in Khandahar

Edit: That dude in the hoody does not sound (talk) like any vet I know. 2 in the chest 1 in the head is movie shit. He sounds full of it.

Otherwise, interesting campfire story. I am fond of Nessie myself and hope to god it is real.
    Last edited by Ghostmcghosty; 2016-08-22 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmcghosty View Post

<---Was in Khandahar
    There's another video on youtube where this incident is discussed and it was stated that the giant looked like it had healed from bullet wounds from the previous encounter. The suggestion was that the rounds just didn't have the same effect on it as it would on a man. It's also said that Biblical giants were hard to kill and that the only way to be sure they were dead was to cut their heads off... like David did to Goliath after stunning him with the sling-stone.

Deleted
    If it was true you can be sure as shit pics of it would be about, squaddies tend to be pretty bad at keeping things secret which is why security clearances have different ratings.

This is fun!

This is a fun story, but pathological liars can be quite convincing with their tales...I would not consider eyewitness info/"I heard stories on base" etc to be actual evidence lol...

Also a 12-15 foot dude is likely not going to be 1100 lbs...maybe 500-700 lbs...also, really? Biblical creatures? An angel locked under the Euphrates with a bunch of prisoners yet no one knows or talks about it?

This all seems a little too fantastical to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmcghosty View Post

<---Was in Khandahar

Edit: That dude in the hoody does not sound (talk) like any vet I know. 2 in the chest 1 in the head is movie shit. He sounds full of it.

Otherwise, interesting campfire story. I am fond of Nessie myself and hope to god it is real.
    It's a reference to the Mozambique Drill - but I agree about the rest.

Nessie is real, I lived in Scotland as a kid and I saw him - just for a moment. He's impervious to cameras though.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    It's a reference to the Mozambique Drill - but I agree about the rest. Nessie is real, I lived in Scotland as a kid and I saw him - just for a moment. He's impervious to cameras though.
    Where is the best place to see Nessie? Would like to go someday.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Where is the best place to see Nessie? Would like to go someday.
    Cambridge, you can get a real good view from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Nessie is real, I lived in Scotland as a kid and I saw him - just for a moment. He's impervious to cameras though.
    That was just a fat jock going for a swim.

Whilst a rare sighting, they do exercise occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Norwich is better, it's flatter there.

If you didn't know loch Ness isn't in Massachusetts yo.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

For fuck sake... I won't even watch that nonsense.

There are biological and physical reasons why a human cannot reach that size. And if it would, he would be utterly immobile, and dying from half a dozen congenital defects.

If that shit is told by someone actually in the military they need to keep the dude the fuck away from firearms and he needs to have a long chat with a shrink.

Also... American soldiers battling Biblical monsters? What fucking GOP wankfest is this?
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-08-22 at 04:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I like military legends. One recent one was the Giant of Kandahar. The story goes that in 2002, US armed forces encountered a 12-15ft tall giant and, after two engagements, managed to kill it. Truth or not, it's a fascinating story.

There's also a bit about the "fairies" found in Mexico here too toward the end.
    YOu'd think there'd be more sources for fabulous things like these rather than myth and heresay. It's all bunk. It's bullshit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ridiculous silliness, but I think it comes out of the Arabic tendency to speak in flowery and exaggerated ways. Look at the Iraqi speeches during the gulf war that were pretty comical. And during the Kandahar fights, the insurgent forces would often refer to certain troops as thing like the "lion of kandahar" etc. in the same flowery ways. It's just that "lion of kandahar" sounds more imposing that the person's actual name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Ridiculous silliness, but I think it comes out of the Arabic tendency to speak in flowery and exaggerated ways. Look at the Iraqi speeches during the gulf war that were pretty comical. And during the Kandahar fights, the insurgent forces would often refer to certain troops as thing like the "lion of kandahar" etc. in the same flowery ways. It's just that "lion of kandahar" sounds more imposing that the person's actual name.
    This was a supposed US unit, why bring arabs into this?

Deleted
    Funny.

I think the bible actually mentions giants. And this is close to where Christianity started so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Kandahar is in Afghanistan...

This was a supposed US unit, why bring arabs into this?
    At one point in the video someone refers to hearing tales of "the giants of kandahar" living in caves and eating people, by locals. He's right that Arabic language uses a lot of flowery language and is heavy in metaphor, "I have a dark heart" etc.

Also similar to the way we'd refer to a tall person as a "giant" in the US (maybe over 6'5).

In any case, it's definitely not completely due to flowery language if the "eyewitness" is going on and on about Biblical creatures and being afraid to lock up Middle Eastern prisoners due to the angel trapped under the Euphrates...>.>