Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    Quick question:
    I just started yesterday and for now I have the feeling it's not worth it to craft any of the upgrades I found. For now the game isn't very challenging, so I don't feel pressured to upgrade my ship or suit. On the other hand inventory is always a problem, so it even feels counter productive to fill it with upgrades I don't really need. Am I wrong about this and are there some upgrades you think are big QoL improvements and are worth a slot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by senkyen View Post
    Quick question:
    I just started yesterday and for now I have the feeling it's not worth it to craft any of the upgrades I found. For now the game isn't very challenging, so I don't feel pressured to upgrade my ship or suit. On the other hand inventory is always a problem, so it even feels counter productive to fill it with upgrades I don't really need. Am I wrong about this and are there some upgrades you think are big QoL improvements and are worth a slot?
    Warp reactor upgrades are all worth it, particularly Theta; blue stars rock.
    The engine upgrades do improve your speed and handling significantly, worthwhile as well.
    If you're getting scanned and facing hostile ships at all, a couple deflection shield upgrades and photon cannon upgrades help a lot in getting through that without damage.

For suit upgrades, at least 2 stamina and all three jetpack upgrades are amazing for what they do for your mobility and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As for the "broken promises", a lot of that was people reading WAY too much into fairly vague statements, or looking at the first two planets they found and not seeing EXACTLY the diversity that they showed in teaser trailers. In the time since, many of us have found a LOT of those supposed "missing" elements; they're just not common.

Things that people claimed were cut, but that I've personally run into myself;
    Butterfly-type creatures
    Food chain mechanics, with predators stalking and killing prey
    There were claims that all ships were identical, new analysis is showing that there ARE clear differences between them, they're just not blatant
    Rivers
    Structures with moving parts
    Those are trivial things. He said we could take sides with warring factions in space battles = confirmed bullshit. He said we could grief other players and play with our friends = confirmed bullshit. I mean don't get me wrong, I've largely enjoyed the game until this point but he told huge porkies about significant features which aren't even there. Not to mention other minor things like landing on asteroids (bullshit), destroying space stations (bullshit), hacking reinforced doors (bullshit), portals you can walk through that take you to other planets (bullshit).

I honestly wonder if some of this stuff is a consequence of their deal with Sony, perhaps they were forced to release it before they wanted to.

Quick question:
    When you get enough inventory slots you start to have room for upgrades and for your suit they are all quality of life stuff but your ship has some important upgrades like warp engines.

The 'problem' that the style of inventory/upgrade system they chose is that, as you said, it is simply not worth it to get upgrades early on (excluding warp engines). Particularity since no part of the game is actually a challenge.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    And starting a new game has not yet accord to you?
    It did, but I never figured out how to do it. I just prayed to RNGesus that a hyperdrive would show up for me, now I've mastered the Gek language and have tons of other upgrades I don't want to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I heard a lot of bad stuff about this game. Lots of bugs and broken promises. Is it worth getting? My main problem with it right now is not knowing what the hell you actually do in the game? Like is there a mission? Do you fight enemies? Or is it just like exploring and collecting things? The game looks really interesting but if flying around and smelling the flowers on a bajillion planets is all you do then what is the point?
    You can explore and collect resources so that you get more efficient at collecting resources.
    That is it.

If that fine for you then by all means.
    If your looking for a goal beyond that your out of luck. This is probably one of the least interactive games out there, as in 'there really is nothing to do in this quadrillion planet universe'.
    Its the worlds biggest sandbox and you don't have a shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    I also found my first moon. Didn't even see it at first since it was hidden behind the planet (and we generally only see 1 side of a planet, the one facing the space stations).
    Just gotta use your pulse engine in random directions to push past planets to see what else is around. Although I agree it would be nice if you had a map of each star system you were in.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Just gotta use your pulse engine in random directions to push past planets to see what else is around. Although I agree it would be nice if you had a map of each star system you were in.
    A map in general would be sweet, both system and planet.

But isn't there a popup or message with how many planets (and moons?) there are when you enter a system?

One of the best Endings I've ever experienced. Truly rewarding and gratifying. Lived up to the hype.

About upgrades: Chain a few drop pods (shelters) to upgrade your exosuit. They're super cheap for the first ten or so. And I leapfrogged from the starter ship to a 25slot ship buying it outright. Did a couple ship repairs to 28slot, but now going to travel. Most of the upgrades don't require many resources, so just install them as needed. I know its easy to want to hoard resources and such, but honestly you don't need much unless you're buying ships.

Deleted
    I've got a bit of a problem: I wandered off on my moon into a pretty cave to see what I could find. The cave network is absolutely massive and I've discovered the Plutonium hotspot of this star system with huge nodes around every corner.

However, I forgot which way I came and I can't find a way out. I've got no plasma upgrades to my multitool so I can't blast my way out. There's no Zinc/Heridium/Chrysonite in the cave to craft it either.

And then the game got cruel by giving me a hole in the wall that was too tiny to get out with the sunlight streaming in the cave.

I'm still trying to backtrack and find my way in, but the cave is a maze

I once almost got lost in a cave. After that I never have went too deep in them even if I do have that bomb upgrade that I could use to dig myself out...

Deleted
    Made it...

http://i.imgur.com/3pHzQob.jpg

I'm getting that bomb upgrade now.

Quick question:
    I wouldn't upgrade your ship at all until you you got enough cash to buy a 30+ slot ship. Its just a waste imo since you cant transfer upgrades to new ships. After that they get pretty expensive but if you go to a space station and buy something like Dynamic Resonators from some of the aliens for like 20-30k and sell them to others that come to the station for 50k. Once you begin to recognize the ships you can make a ton of cash pretty quick as there are only about 6-7 different ships that ever apear its easy to memorize which ones you need to buy from and which ones to sell to. Also until you upgrade to a better ship they always contain around the same number of slots (plus or minus a slot) so just keep looking at ships to buy until you find the one that has a massive increase in slots, mine was a large yellow ship unlike any of the others so it was pretty easier to recognize.

Oh and be careful there are some items that cost thousands or even millions and only ever sell for like 1000 credits. Ended up losing a couple mill buying atlas stones hoping to make a profit.

I don't usually care much for Angry Joe's rant filled reviews, but he is pretty spot on with this one:

Deleted
    My first somewhat lush planet. It's basically 1 big ocean with small islands populated with these kind of trees: http://i.imgur.com/Z0peDsX.jpg

Found another cave, I'm going in. Can we put custom waypoints on maps? :x
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-22 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I don't usually care much for Angry Joe's rant filled reviews, but he is pretty spot on with this one:

Yes, Yes he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Ya he was, also enjoyed how he pointed out all the bullshit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    I'm leaving this planet straight away. Giant floating ticks:

Probably not news to some, but I noticed that if you feed certain creatures and follow them around, they will eventually dig up resources for you. Often they are rare elements as well. Had one dig up some Calium and Murrine for me, for example.