10+ Year Old Account

Resto viability in 5-mans in Legion

I'm heavily considering switching my main healer from Resto Druid to Resto Shaman in Legion. The only concern I have is the fact that RSham doesn't seem to have strong tank cool downs. They seem to have great AOE heals though.

For those who have played RSham in Legion, what are your thoughts on their viability outside of raiding?

RDruid is stronger for 5 mans. RSham shines in raids.

Shaman is pretty good for tank healing in a 5-man scenario because mana is never an issue, you can just spam Healing Surge as much as you like and reap the rewards of that delicious mastery. Spirit Link Totem is fantastic for saving the tank, too.

Deleted
    They will be fine.

If I had to rank them all I'd rank them for mythics

Druid>HolyPriest>Shaman=Monk> Paladin> Disc

Just because druid and holy priest might have an easier time doesnt mean shaman wont be viable though.

Resto druid is by far the best healer for 5 mans, resto shamans in 5 mans is one of the weakest, probably only better than disc. From all my beta testing and experience both monks and paladins is better than resto shamans aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Resto druid is by far the best healer for 5 mans, resto shamans in 5 mans is one of the weakest, probably only better than disc. From all my beta testing and experience both monks and paladins is better than resto shamans aswell
    Are you purely talking about HPS here or is it hard for RShams to actually keep their group/tank alive in Mythic 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Are you purely talking about HPS here or is it hard for RShams to actually keep their group/tank alive in Mythic 5?
    Mythic 5 is easy for all classes with decent gear and group, resto shamans starts to struggle at +10 but its not impossible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Mythic 5 is easy for all classes with decent gear and group, resto shamans starts to struggle at +10 but its not impossible
    Thanks for the reply. I really hope RShams stay viable throughout all content in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnofiend View Post
    Spirit Link Totem is fantastic for saving the tank, too.
    Compared to literally any other healer external, not really.

RShaman is more than viable in Mythic+ and I would say, depending on group comp, it can be the strongest healer. Most people discount the group sprint, ranged AoE stun on a relatively short CD (this is pretty damn huge), bloodlust, ranged interrupt, big healing cooldowns, purge, hex (not used much but still an option), spirit link totem to cheese hard pulls, it's just a swiss army knife of usefulness.

People are too quick to call RDruid the undisputed king of Mythic+ healing and HPriest has like... no utility at all by comparison, but is good mainly due to its huge raw healing/holy words. Yes, RShaman has no tank cooldown but healing surge combined with the RShaman mastery is good enough.

I would say RDruid fits into most groups as the best healer all-around, but RShaman is certainly not far behind.
    Last edited by Mazzeric; 2016-08-22 at 08:05 PM.

Resto shaman is totally fine in m+. I was struggling a bit at the start of the beta, but picking talents that enhance single target heals and more mastery makes a big difference. I'm struggling more on my paladin tbh, but that just might be me sucking on a new class.

I guess it should also be mentioned that Undulation in combination with Crashing Waves helps immensely for spam healing undergeared tanks in Mythic+. Torrent is over-recommended on Forums and won't be my 5-man dungeon pick until groups are geared enough to the point where I can Riptide and DPS.

I found that I did struggle with Decay and Necrotic affixes as a RShaman but they are manageable, and the latter (Necrotic) is annoying for all healers, really.

RShaman is in a great spot for Mythic+, don't be dismayed by the RDruid hypetrain. People always gravitate towards "best," when I feel as though any group lacking Hero/Lust automatically has RShaman as a top healer pick.