Deleted

DH: Questions that I have

1. Do demon hunters eat souls of their victims, both demonic and not?
    2. Can demon hunter adapt and evolve? I base this question on the female dh joke about succubi. Let's say that demon hunter devours 10k felbats, is there a chance that it would allow him to develop stronger wings? or hoofs if he ate a satyr?

Deleted
    Nr 1. Yes... I think? Not sure though, mostly demons I'd say. And yes, the more demons a DH has killed, the stronger he gets. He'd have an advantage against the other DH's that haven't consumed as much as him.

7+ Year Old Account
    dh's consume the demons power when they kill them.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjiboj View Post
    Nr 1. Yes... I think? Not sure though, mostly demons I'd say. And yes, the more demons a DH has killed, the stronger he gets. He'd have an advantage against the other DH's that haven't consumed as much as him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    dh's consume the demons power when they kill them.
    then in that case, wings as flying mount are even more possible. It would take some demon souls to power the transformation. They can very well specialize in different tasks by consuming different demons. ok I like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    From the various Mardum questlines, I think only major demons grant abilities to Demon Hunters that consume their essences - lesser and mook tier demons likely wouldn't be anything more than a tasty snack even if consumed in bulk. The "gaining abilities from slain demons" is likely also only a lore-based gameplay contrivance to give them their abilities at the start; it's not something sustainable going forward or else players would grind respawning demons to become overpowered exaggerations in short order. After being saturated in the requisite number of demonic essences their mutations or evolution probably reach a stopping point, unless they were to topple greater and more powerful demons going forward (and be in a position to feast on their essence).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    From the various Mardum questlines, I think only major demons grant abilities to Demon Hunters that consume their essences - lesser and mook tier demons likely wouldn't be anything more than a tasty snack even if consumed in bulk. The "gaining abilities from slain demons" is likely also only a lore-based gameplay contrivance to give them their abilities at the start; it's not something sustainable going forward or else players would grind respawning demons to become overpowered exaggerations in short order. After being saturated in the requisite number of demonic essences their mutations or evolution probably reach a stopping point, unless they were to topple greater and more powerful demons going forward (and be in a position to feast on their essence).
    then we are golden, great many great and greater demons are yet before us!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I see it the same way.

You subsume a demon's soul that is say "level 5". If you kill a level 4 demon of the same type, you get no benefit other than health/regeneration. You would have to kill a level 6 demon, etc, to bump up your power.

And if you do it too many times, and are weak, or not ready, you explode. (The fel/chaos eats you up).

Part of it is also just gameplay... lore wise, the demons we killed and got the powers from, might have been "stronger" than what we kill now.

Though It would be cool, if instead of adding new spells into a spellbook as you level, you would have to do a mini quest and consume a different demon. (Say level 110 to 120, after this expansion, etc).
    but isn't it just a common, standard way for dmeon hunter to consume its victims soul? after all that is how demon hunters deal with them.
    wouldn't eating many lesser creatures cause explode in the end if done within short time span?

yeah it would be super cool! mini quests for every new ability! -----and flying wings!

- - - Updated - - -

can demon hunter eat human soul? or any other mortal soul?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Mee View Post
    can demon hunter eat human soul? or any other mortal soul?
    Lore-wise I don't think so, no. Gameplay-wise they do have attacks and abilities that shatter souls in the form of soul fragments from any target, including non-demonic entities.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

1. Don't think so. At least there are no indications of that in Illidan's book. As far as i know they can only consume some demon's souls. Illidan even makes their Demon Hunters consume demon flesh to gain their power.

2. Yes they can. But not the way you are thinking. Otherwise most DHs would be like Illidan by now after Mardum. They can consume some Demons to gain powers but not all of them. And all Demon Hunters have a demon's soul trapped in their bodies with them on a eternal struggle to hold back their corruption. Illidan gained most of his powers through Sargeras himself so it's safe to say that there are other ways to achieve that.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

7+ Year Old Account
    As for the many references to souls, we (like Illidan) use soul magic to power great spells, especially portal magic. That is especially apparent in the DH starting area where we have to actually sacrifice people (even ourselves, if we choose to do so) to open portals.

As for consuming souls after combat, the answers already given are 100% on point.

And as for 2. Yes, the descriptions in the Illidan book show demon hunters that actually "adapted and evolved" a bit too far and had to be put down, as it were.

If you are really interested in these questions, I highly recommend that book, @Annie Mee. It describes the selection and training of the Illidari demon hunters in excruciating detail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    As for the many references to souls, we (like Illidan) use soul magic to power great spells, especially portal magic. That is especially apparent in the DH starting area where we have to actually sacrifice people (even ourselves, if we choose to do so) to open portals.

As for consuming souls after combat, the answers already given are 100% on point.

And as for 2. Yes, the descriptions in the Illidan book show demon hunters that actually "adapted and evolved" a bit too far and had to be put down, as it were.

If you are really interested in these questions, I highly recommend that book, @Annie Mee. It describes the selection and training of the Illidari demon hunters in excruciating detail.
    I did read Illidan book..well.. parts of it.. I'm glad that we can evolve, it makes wings totally senseful now. I'm glad, also it opens window for third spec in a fuuuture. I really like the idea of it, we are like mini walking frostmournes

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Demon Hunters walk a fine line between having enough Fel power to successfully threaten demonic beings, and absorbing enough to either burn themselves out (like Manetheral in the DH starting scenario) or becoming a demon themselves (the path Illidan may have been too far down, according to some sources). A successful Demon Hunter is basically balanced on the knife's edge between mortality and demonhood, and staying on that edge without turning to ash or being corrupted by their demon within is the sacrifice they make.