Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a lot worse in WoD. Like, a lot a lot. If you're coming back from MoP without having played since 6.0 then yes, it will feel worse, because it worked pretty well before 6.0. Legion has introduced some new issues, but despite that it's still vastly improved over how it was in WoD.

15+ Year Old Account
    Aww holy hell. I got a new keyboard and I thought this was ME. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I feel like anyone who has played the game for any period of time knows that trying to click a specific target in a pack of mobs is a terrible experience as well. So how exactly do you think it should be set up?
    I didn't say I supported tab targeting being broken. I was speculating as to why it's remained so. It should go back to what it originally was.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Lol, plebs.

Tab targeting is fine, you just don't know how to use it. It's all about how your camera/character is positioned, THEN you tab target.

People get mad for tab targetting randomly and expecting to get something that's to their side or some such nonsense.

Is the system great? No, it's pretty shitty. But is it awful if you actually know what you're doing? no.
    Bullshit. It still randomly gets stuck on a target, or chooses something completely off-screen behind you 50 yards away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't for me, because I know when and how to utilize it.

Don't misunderstand you not doing something right for it being broken.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I have a feeling the new draw distance might be to blame.

Doesn't for me, because I know when and how to utilize it.

Don't misunderstand you not doing something right for it being broken.
    bait/10

also, found the blizzard employee

10+ Year Old Account
    It pisses me off daily since the pre patch.

Tab targeting has always been buggy at best, only selecting from left half of the screen, prioritizing more distant enemies..

Blizzard may aswell just disable it and "force" players to select mobs manually.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    Tab targeting has always been buggy at best, only selecting from left half of the screen, prioritizing more distant enemies..

Blizzard may aswell just disable it and "force" players to select mobs manually.
    it worked somewhat fine in wotlk and before that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    It has been screwed up since MoP.
    No it wasn't. Last update made significant difference how it was and how it is now.

Best way how to test this is to use classic interface and then try to use different addons like Elvui,Tidyplates etc.. It will be pretty obvious that problem can be found in to the new system that is messing out with player plate size and focus on it. Somehow I have feeling that this is some glitch and it will be hot fixed because now focus is not on the character,but on the plate on the character - so bigger plate you will have,better will be tab-targeting.You can even try small classic plate and then use bigger one, difference will be enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by crakks View Post
    No it wasn't. Last update made significant difference how it was and how it is now.

Best way how to test this is to use classic interface and then try to use different addons like Elvui,Tidyplates etc.. It will be pretty obvious that problem can be found in to the new system that is messing out with player plate size and focus on it. Somehow I have feeling that this is some glitch and it will be hot fixed because now focus is not on the character,but on the plate on the character - so bigger plate you will have,better will be tab-targeting.You can even try small classic plate and then use bigger one, difference will be enormous.
    I did not say the last update did not screw it up even more. Fact is, they changed something back during MoP, and it started behaving differently as far back as then. The patch change had to do with using nameplates for tab targeting. The actual behavior of it changed in MoP. There have been numerous discussion about this topic on forums dating back until then.

15+ Year Old Account
    I skipped 1 year during WoD and returned to 7.0 to find the tab targeting utterly broken. I do not remember it being THIS bad during WoD or MoP.

For people who have more than 1 target on screen unlike Master Guns and would like to NOT tab select retarded targets like mobs on the edge of the screen here is my tiny addon that improves the situation.
    TABFIXER ADDON

Thanks to Stickyick79 for the cvar commands.

I found there is a way to fix this.

In your Config.wtf add the following lines:
    SET TargetNearestUseOld "1"
    SET TargetPriorityAllowAnyOnScreen "0"
    SET TargetPriorityIncludeBehind "0"
    Or you could create and addon that does this.
    In your Addons directory, create an OldTab directory, with two files named OldTab.toc and OldTab.lua.

OldTab.toc contains three lines
    ## Interface: 70000
    ## Title: OldTab

OldTab.lua also contains three lines
    SetCVar("TargetNearestUseOld", 1)
    SetCVar("TargetPriorityAllowAnyOnScreen", 0)
    SetCVar("TargetPriorityIncludeBehind", 0)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do because I've had times where even after hitting it several times it'll refuse to target mobs literally right in front of my face.

Lol, plebs.

Tab targeting is fine, you just don't know how to use it. It's all about how your camera/character is positioned, THEN you tab target.

People get mad for tab targetting randomly and expecting to get something that's to their side or some such nonsense.

Is the system great? No, it's pretty shitty. But is it awful if you actually know what you're doing? no.
    Lol, pleb.

I'll make a video of how "great" this works. I can be standing 2ft from a mob that is perfectly straight forward / center of where I'm facing and tab targeting will pick up everything on the sides or well behind the target I'm 2ft from. The target that I'm standing 2ft from is almost always the last target picked. That's not working correctly in my book. I usually just use my mouse to pick things out which is a waste of time when trying to do things quickly.

I have played since beta so I know how to play the game. It's annoying. I'll try the few other suggestions others have made and see how that goes.