Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The scope of the game is simply to big, yes they have funds outside of the fund raiser but the sheer scope is so big you can give an established AAA studio 500 million and tell em to make it they will say "we probably cant".

As for squadron 42 next year. I will believe it when I see it.
    Yeah, I call bullshit on the scope being too big, especially for a MMO when you can just add in features as the game goes on. Hell, procedural planets was just a research project that was to be done post go-live but got pushed up because of the rapid progress in that project. After looking into Foundry 42 UK's financials, this project can get no money starting now and still have a good 2 to 3 years of burn rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Source? The inaccuracy of the "article" in incredible.
    Same source as usual, yet another one of derek smarts "blogs".

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1bib

EvcRo doesn't like to link his sources cause even he knows how little credibility the words of that man have

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    That would be Chris Roberts himself 'narrating' lol... And yeah, he definitely sounded unprepared this time around. As far as ETA, as he said in the video: he tends to get reamed whenever he brings up hard dates. He said Alpha 3.0 before the end of the year.
    Which is still a big step considering that Star Marine was supposed to be due out what, 6 months ago and got delayed because of all the technical issues revolving around the combat both client and server side? Considering we still had just dog fighting and hangars in January, getting down to actually having a combat system that works, being able to do some form of space travel with the landing and take off system plus the worm holes properly by the end of the year and seeing improvements with the planet side portion of the game, I'd say that would be a bigger step than what they did in all of last year. But the likelihood of them running into financial troubles is going to be more realistic as time goes on, and I don't see backers tossing more money at them for ships and stuff until the game sees some significant progress. But, as I said in a previous post, there is revenue potential out of Squadron 42 assuming it launches in the next 4 months. The chapters could add significant revenue assuming their budget is lower for each extra chapter outside of the first one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Same source as usual, yet another one of derek smarts "blogs".

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1bib

EvcRo doesn't like to link his sources cause even he knows how little credibility the words of that man have
    Derek Smart is a proven liar, scammer and all around con artist. The flops of his shitty games should be evidence of who the true scammer is in the gaming business.

The demo looked good although it was a bit too hollywood for my liking. Being on rails it ran really well but I doubt it'll be anywhere near so bug free when it's actually put into the PU.
    As always there's more questions than answers. What happens if others are doing the same mission? What happens if you fail the mission? What happens if other players blow you up while you're doing the mission?
    Is there some sort of storyline to the PU which will use voiced missions while the majority will be text based from the "jobwell" board, (what a cringy name).

I do hope they get 3.0 out this year, I'd like to try things out for myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest, if Star Citizen takes another 5 years to release but they do an extremely good job, then I will be pleased. I want them to take as long as they need to deliver a kick ass game instead of caving to pressure to release early and "planning to add stuff later". First impressions in the MMO world are huge, and you have to capture people's attention with your release. If you don't then they leave and you cannot recover.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, Line of Defense looks fucking bad, those graphics are terrible, looks like the character is crawling and the bullet animations are so bad. Derek Smart should work on his game instead of picking fights with Star Citizen fans.

What is it with people's fascination with Derek Smart? If the guy is so full of hot air and his opinion is so worthless - why on earth do you let him be so relevant?

It really brings this to mind

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    What is it with people's fascination with Derek Smart? If the guy is so full of hot air and his opinion is so worthless - why on earth do you let him be so relevant?
    Because people feel the need to defend their dreams and/or they fear he might actually be right in that SC cannot live up to the dream
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The same reason people post in threads they care nothing about. For some people, it's just impossible for them to ignore something. Also, some people just like to stir the turds, so to speak. Get people all riled up and watch their reactions. And of course, people are not allowed to like things you don't like. It's the law of the internet.

Nobody does care really. Just when EvcRo reposts some bullshit Smart wrote right before getting banned lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Nobody does care really. Just when EvcRo reposts some bullshit Smart wrote right before getting banned lol.
    Your avatar is a prime example of people like EvcRo.

10+ Year Old Account
    He hadn't been relevant for quite some time. Occasionally mentioned via people that got refunds and made a big deal about it (a few of those refundess are trying to get back in). But until about a week ago, it had been quiet till the head of PR said that she would be taking a break from social media for a bit due to continual harassment (very well document by people), all lead by Dr. (unaccredited) Derek No-So-Smart and his followers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Derek is mildly interesting in the same way Donald Trump is, it's fun to ponder where their delusions of grandeur come from. His rants about Star Citizen are boring but when he starts refering to Line of Defence as a better version of Planetside it gets amusing. Not sure if he accidently ingested an extra-potent bag of malformed dicks as a child and has been hallucinating ever since or if he's a bland ol' narcissist but he genuinely believes his game isn't shit and that's just funny .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    He hadn't been relevant for quite some time. Occasionally mentioned via people that got refunds and made a big deal about it (a few of those refundess are trying to get back in). But until about a week ago, it had been quiet till the head of PR said that she would be taking a break from social media for a bit due to continual harassment (very well document by people), all lead by Dr. (unaccredited) Derek No-So-Smart and his followers.
    Yeah I'd read a little bit about that but I also read that Sandi and Derek have blocked each other for nigh on a year now, which is not to imply that he's innocent, that would be foolish.
    I do find it funny that the subreddit makes lots of noise about Derek stalking people while they have numerous people collating every single word he says...

Too many agendas to take either side seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Which is still a big step considering that Star Marine was supposed to be due out what, 6 months ago and got delayed because of all the technical issues revolving around the combat both client and server side? Considering we still had just dog fighting and hangars in January, getting down to actually having a combat system that works, being able to do some form of space travel with the landing and take off system plus the worm holes properly by the end of the year and seeing improvements with the planet side portion of the game, I'd say that would be a bigger step than what they did in all of last year. But the likelihood of them running into financial troubles is going to be more realistic as time goes on, and I don't see backers tossing more money at them for ships and stuff until the game sees some significant progress. But, as I said in a previous post, there is revenue potential out of Squadron 42 assuming it launches in the next 4 months. The chapters could add significant revenue assuming their budget is lower for each extra chapter outside of the first one.

- - - Updated - - -

Derek Smart is a proven liar, scammer and all around con artist. The flops of his shitty games should be evidence of who the true scammer is in the gaming business.
    Some of what he said came true, and some hasn't.

The BIG concern I have is simple.

At the core, he is right. The developers have expanded far beyond what was originally promised. More, while they have had astonishing success with fund raising, some of what Derek Smart is saying does ring true. Namely, that even with their funding, they are trying to do a lot with this game. They are trying to create a AAA title on a scale and level of involvement not really achieved before and do so with a fraction of the resources other teams spend on such titles.

Yes, they are only 5 years into game development and such titles can take 5 or 7 years to develop. But they are also working with a team that even at 400 strong is smaller than some other development studios. Over 1000 people reportedly worked on GTA5 for example...and the game cost over $100 million and took about 4 years to develop.

Now, they say that they are making efficiencies elsewhere. That they don't need to budget so much for marketing. That working smart - pardon the pun - ensures they can do with $1 what other studios need $3-4 to do. Are they right? Maybe. But they also seem to be raising a lot of expectations. How will players react fit he released game is simply - OK. What if it isn't the explosive experience that has been promised? Or what if it is buggy? Or has a great FPS part but a pitiful flying part?

As it is - I haven't contributed. I'm not going to either. I've tried the free fly and it does get better each time...but so far, I haven't been blown away. But then, I wasn't impressed with NMS either.

As regards Gamescom....so far so good. But was it scripted? NMS are reported to have created a dedicated planet for testing and PR for example, so that the game looked and played better than it actually was everywhere else. Could the demos at Gamescom be the same? Scripted as DS stated? OTOH...for all its faults, NMS is an impressive achievement given the size of the team involved. So that should help allay concerns over similar issues in SC.

I hope Star Citizen succeeds. I hope it fills all its aims. It's a very, very ambitious project....but I also wonder if Derek Smart has a point

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    Some of what he said came true, and some hasn't.

The BIG concern I have is simple.

At the core, he is right. The developers have expanded far beyond what was originally promised. More, while they have had astonishing success with fund raising, some of what Derek Smart is saying does ring true. Namely, that even with their funding, they are trying to do a lot with this game. They are trying to create a AAA title on a scale and level of involvement not really achieved before and do so with a fraction of the resources other teams spend on such titles.

Yes, they are only 5 years into game development and such titles can take 5 or 7 years to develop. But they are also working with a team that even at 400 strong is smaller than some other development studios. Over 1000 people reportedly worked on GTA5 for example...and the game cost over $100 million and took about 4 years to develop.

Now, they say that they are making efficiencies elsewhere. That they don't need to budget so much for marketing. That working smart - pardon the pun - ensures they can do with $1 what other studios need $3-4 to do. Are they right? Maybe. But they also seem to be raising a lot of expectations. How will players react fit he released game is simply - OK. What if it isn't the explosive experience that has been promised? Or what if it is buggy? Or has a great FPS part but a pitiful flying part?

As it is - I haven't contributed. I'm not going to either. I've tried the free fly and it does get better each time...but so far, I haven't been blown away. But then, I wasn't impressed with NMS either.

As regards Gamescom....so far so good. But was it scripted? NMS are reported to have created a dedicated planet for testing and PR for example, so that the game looked and played better than it actually was everywhere else. Could the demos at Gamescom be the same? Scripted as DS stated? OTOH...for all its faults, NMS is an impressive achievement given the size of the team involved. So that should help allay concerns over similar issues in SC.

I hope Star Citizen succeeds. I hope it fills all its aims. It's a very, very ambitious project....but I also wonder if Derek Smart has a point
    Yes, SC is a very ambitious project. One think to remember though, is that a lot of the people working on this game are not novices in their department. For example, the Frankfurt team is mostly ex-Cryengine developers and they are really pushing the new tech for this project.

As for efficiency, one thing to remember is that CIG studios are not like normal studios. Due to their locations, they are able to work on this game literally 24/7.

But for the things DS says, even a dead clock will be right twice a day. The shear number of his absurd statements that have actually been true have been few and far between. I really doubt that the Gamescom demo was scripted just because of how buggy it was and unscripted it felt. Yes, it could have been intentionally done to seem unscripted, but that's highly unlikely. Some of their previous demos would have been more likely to be scripted than this one, really. The one thing that did bother me about the presentation, was there was a spot where CR said to turn off the second display when they were exiting the planet, then turned it back on after they escaped the atmosphere. That did feel like they were trying to hide a bug that they knew about. But outside of that, it had a few hiccups here and there.

Yes, SC is a very ambitious project. One think to remember though, is that a lot of the people working on this game are not novices in their department. For example, the Frankfurt team is mostly ex-Cryengine developers and they are really pushing the new tech for this project.

As for efficiency, one thing to remember is that CIG studios are not like normal studios. Due to their locations, they are able to work on this game literally 24/7.
    Both of these things apply to just about every major AAA game, neither is unique to CIG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Both of these things apply to just about every major AAA game, neither is unique to CIG.
    Maybe not unique for a AAA studio, but for a company that's pretty new and hasn't actually released anything yet, it's a bit impressive.

Maybe not unique for a AAA studio, but for a company that's pretty new and hasn't actually released anything yet, it's a bit impressive.
    Sure, but it's not terribly meaningful. 100 hours of work is 100 hours of work, whether it's done by 5 teams globally or one team locally. There are some benefits to having work being done around the clock on various projects, but there are also downsides as well.

Also, with the way the industry is nowadays, it's not that uncommon to find some pretty talented folks with multiple major AAA titles under their belt working at smaller studios or their own indie companies.

Again, it can definitely be a plus for them, but it's hardly something that I'd go around trumpeting from rooftops as if it's somehow giving them some sort of edge that nobody else really has.

So - basically, they are in the same position as other games development companies. I'm sorry...but this is stating the obvious. CIG are putting out a AAA title - or trying to - and I'm looking forward to the day I can BUY the game rather than just try it out.

But - as I said - what they are aiming for appears to be very ambitious and they are trying to do it with only a bout half the resources available to other teams who - lets face it - work on what are in some ways less ambitious projects.

Rockstar is the team most used for comparison because SC will also be an open world explore and do any job type of game. GTA5 had a vast world, a story and plot, missions and lots of vehicles.
    SC is more ambitious in many ways.

I would certainly hope the programming team is skilled. I would also expect the GTA5 team to be skilled. But 300 in one team vs 1000 in the other?

And yes - maybe the gamescom demo wasn't scripted. but then again...maybe it was just a buggy tech demo. I don't know. As I said, some of what DS says rings true, but others parts don't. I know he's akin to the devil to many SC players but I ain't gonna write off what he says just because of that. Take it with a pinch of salt? Yes. Disregard entirely? No. He's brought up too many points which strike me as having some degree of validity - and yes, others which don't. As Rennadrel said, Star Marine was supposed to be out months ago and CIG didn't exactly dampen expectations with their tweets about the Friday Night Party on Gamescom.

Either way, I've tested the game. It's getting better but it still isn't blowing me away. At present I don't know if the game will be viable or any good at launch. I'm hoping it'll be good enough to be worth buying. But I'm also not go to contribute or "buy in".

However, I do think it's been massively overhyped and expectations raised to a level that are going to be hard to match.
    Last edited by KyrtF; 2016-08-25 at 12:27 AM.