Thread: Gaming Laptops

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Gaming Laptops

Hey everyone,

So this past month I've been going ham at work, working extra days and stuff just so I can buy a new gig at the end of this month and hopefully play legion.
    I'm still not 100% sure of what to buy though and that's why I came here to know your thoughts about gaming laptops and their performance playing games like WoW.

I want to buy something that will allow me to play with everything on ultra and still have decent FPS.

The gaming laptop that I've been looking into is the ASUS ROG G752VY-T7048T .

I have to admit I'm kinda in love with this Laptop but I'm having second thoughts because some people told me that gaming laptops are terrible and not worth the money at all.

Let me know what you guys think and if you think I'm making a mistake.

FYI: I'm considering a laptop instead of a desktop because I like the mobility it brings, I can chill in my bedroom, living room, take my pc to play with friends, travel etc.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, Northern Ontario (the French part)
    So, I have the G752VY-DH78K model myself. It has the 64GB RAM, i7 6820Hk and the 8GB version of the 980M.

My personal experience is that this thing is overkill for WoW, but I also don't only play WoW so... The model you're looking at is the step just under the one I got, but it's still probably going to be overkill.

As far as actual numbers go, basically the game runs at full rip with Antialiasing turned off cuz 1080p on a 17" screen does't need any additional smoothing really. Plus, cranking AA is a pretty nasty performance hit.

As far as build quality, it's solid. It feels hefty and strong, the thing is quiet as hell even while under stress, stays cool enough too that you won't need any extra fan periferals either.

I've had an ASUS ROG series laptop for the last 7-8 years. Got a G73 first, had it for 3 then got a G75 and now this thing I got last April (G75 still sitting at home and works 100% fine, just wanted new hardware). Not a single one ever broke down, I've always just traded up for newer hardware. So I feel like that says something about durability.

My single beef with it is the ASUS ROG software... Holy shit it is pretty bad... I got network bottleknecking on the G752 and could NOT figure it out until I read something that said to turn off some fucking "optimization" program ASUS pre-loaded in the machine. But like any laptop, remove some unnecessary manufacturer software and you'll be fine.

If you have any specific questions you're welcome to ask, I'm at work right now on my phone, but I'll get around to answering when I can.

Deleted
    First of all thank you for the quick reply and your experience makes me slightly more relieved, I spoke with some folks that had a very different opinion on this issue.
    Well I want this laptop to stay with me for a while so it might be overkill for the moment but in a few years not so much. I don't really play too many new games but every now and then I like to try games like GTA V and stuff so it's cool to have the ability to try those games and have a good experience.

I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind.

I've heard that this laptop is very heavy, is it an issue or you think it's fine and isn't really bothersome to move around?

What kind of case do you have for it?

Is it true that you can only play games without issues if the charger is plugged? (Games like WoW)

Do you own a desktop as well or does that laptop satisfy your every need?

Any other extra information you might have about it please share (if you can think of any)
    Thanks in advance!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The computer is heavy by laptop standards. It's about 10lbs but like... Bro, do you even lift? :P

The exact case I have, to save you the research I had to do, is the Everki Advance case (model no. is EKB407NCH18) and I got it on Amazon.ca. It was a pain in the ass to find a perfect fitting case, but I have the best one now imo. It fits my PC, charger, a Logitech G700 mouse, some extra cables (iPhone charger/headphones basically) and I have a hard metal mousepad in case I have no good surfaces around to play on. I also have space for a few notebooks and such for school despite all that stuff. So yeah, good bag.

I played a few games on Battery power. The thing with battery, and this is the same regardless of any series of laptop I've used in my experience anyway, the minute you unplug and go battery only it's like flipping a throttle switch on your PC. FPS drops and you get reduced performance when on Battery only. The reason why, and I've never looked into it, so don't quote me on this, and someone else here may have the answer, is I think simply due to heat. Battery gets hot when being used, so having a hot battery next to a hot CPU and a hot GPU = Melty parts. Again, NOT sure that's the reason, but it makes sense to me that would be why.

I do not own a Desktop nor have I since my G73 of 7-8yrs ago. I don't have desk space, man. So I've always gotten sick laptops instead to make up for the performance drop and the fact that I can also travel with it (I go to school and am out of town quite often so this was the best way to always have my 100% best PC at my fingertips).

As far as future-proofing goes. I know the feeling. I got this PC for Star Citizen

Have you looked into just spending the extra for the DH78k model like I did? I was looking at the one you've got your eye on at first but deemed it worth the $800-$1000 hardware upgrade to just go with the top-end. Also, how patient are you feeling? The G800 was just revealed, and the new G752 series with the 10-series nVidia cards in them are out now. The G752 with a 1070 may be better for your money, I would look into that since the 900 series is roughly 75% desktop equivalent performance. Whereas the 10-series is 100% the same.

Also, the G800 is an 18" screen with a 1080, but it's not out yet and the price will probably be steep, but who knows, it may not be that much worse than just upgrading right now to the DH78K, and waiting for the G800... Oh and 4k display on that G800 is pretty badass.

ONE issue with going to the 1000 series versus the 900M series is I cannot vouch for reliability, stability and not-dying-in-16-months-ability. I have a friend who works with hardware who basically says that in his opinion I've made a better choice with the 900M series which was designed for laptops in mind. He's not sure if the 1000 series won't just melt your shit in a year...
    Last edited by xxcloud417xx; 2016-08-22 at 04:43 PM.

Seems like you know the deal. You can pretty much forget about travelling with it and yes, they are not worth the money.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I've got the ROG with the 860m. As far as laptops go, I love it. It's a little big but unless you're carrying it everywhere it's not a bad machine.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Seems like you know the deal. You can pretty much forget about travelling with it and yes, they are not worth the money.
    I've pretty much disproved both these points already...

It's 10lbs, is it heavier than other computers? Yes, absolutely. However, it's STILL a laptop which folds up and you can move/carry significantly easier than any Desktop/Monitor/Keyboard combination, followed by an attempt find 2 plugs to power the tower+monitor...

As for not being worth the money, that's entirely up to the purchaser's needs. I've spent the money and haven't regretted it a second, but that's because it fit my lifestyle/gaming needs perfectly. Could I have built a better tower for the same price? Yes, but why do I need a desktop when I don't get to sit there and use it 75% of the time because it's stationary and I'm not anywhere near it...

Deleted
    How patient am I? One week until I'm buying it. My money is really set on the 1500£ margin because I want to buy also the 2 year warranty from amazon and the case so it will go up a few hundred.

I think I'll be fine with the 980M and as you said the 1070 is still pretty new and untested.

The ROG G800 looks indeed amazing but I don't have that much money to spend on a computer. I would consider it more if I was the kind of guy that likes to play top end games frequently which I am not. I'm sort of MOBA/WOW guy because I like to be good at these games.

Regarding the issues with it being heavy it's not that big of a deal its just that while traveling it can be an hassle carrying around that + travel bags and I was just wondering if it ever bothered you or not.

The money I think it'll be worth as long as it's able to perform. I've had very good desktops but never had a laptop and I found myself needing a laptop more often that not. It just gives you so much freedom, and I have a lot of nerdy friends that go to our local bar with their laptops and we just chill out.

And since I'm in UK and I travel to Portugal quite often it suits me perfectly. I would consider not buying the laptop if they were completely unreliable and gave a lot of problems. So far the people that have bought it seem quite happy so I will most likely settle for that one.

Thank you for your insight!

Deleted
    are laptops worth it? Depends. For me when it comes to gaming they are not. You are getting far more performance per monetary unit with desktop. The worth comes from mobility, and lets be honest, there are very few cases where you need high gaming performance and mobility. Unless you attend lan parties regularly or travel a lot in manner that gaming is best thing to do then yes, laptops are worth it. In any other case they are not.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I got 3yr extention on my warranty too. Overall, with taxed, I payed about $5000 CAD and like I said; 100% satisfied even with that kind of price tag.

Deleted
    for that much money you could easily get top end desktop with dual monitors, tablet to chill with netflix and have plenty spare for drugs and whores. Imo dishing out that much money for laptop is waste and not worth it, save maybe very few very special cases. Almost looks like you're trying to justify your purchase by talking somebody else into doing same

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    for that much money you could easily get top end desktop with dual monitors, tablet to chill with netflix and have plenty spare for drugs and whores. Imo dishing out that much money for laptop is waste and not worth it, save maybe very few very special cases. Almost looks like you're trying to justify your purchase by talking somebody else into doing same
    No, I literally have zero space for a desktop nor am I home enough to get actual justifiable use out of one as well. I get that the price/performance ratio isn't quite as good, but if I can't get the same playtime out of a desktop then the price/amount of use ratio becomes more important to me. That's all.

It's like I said before, the choice to buy a gaming laptop is usually one of consumer need.

Also, fuck tablets. Worthless devices imo... I have one which is doing nothing but collecting dust. That just ties back to consumer need though. I don't see the value of it for myself. Doesn't mean they suck for everyone...
    Last edited by xxcloud417xx; 2016-08-23 at 02:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcloud417xx View Post
    No, I literally have zero space for a desktop nor am I home enough to get actual justifiable use out of one as well. I get that the price/performance ratio isn't quite as good, but if I can't get the same playtime out of a desktop then the price/amount of use ratio becomes more important to me. That's all.

It's like I said before, the choice to buy a gaming laptop is usually one of consumer need.

Also, fuck tablets. Worthless devices imo... I have one which is doing nothing but collecting dust. That just ties back to consumer need though. I don't see the value of it for myself. Doesn't mean they suck for everyone...
    Well that's kinda my point, gaming laptops are "worth it" only if you are in very specific niche. OP doesn't seem to be - at least I didn't get that impression. Hence it is more likely that he will get better bang/buck from desktop. And yes I don't much like tablets either, but op said he wanted to "chill in his bedroom or living room" and since I can hardly imagine chilling and serious gaming all I can think of is watching netflix or such and playing hearthstone.

So yeah choice is up to OP but I feel it's wrong to tell him that laptops are worth it - they are not for most people.

Deleted
    I don't think you need a very specific niche, it's just more practical all around and if it performs which was my greatest doubt then it's fine. I don't mind paying the extra just so I can have the mobility, I can basically bring my stuff everywhere I want wether I really need it or not.

Let's say a friend invites me over to his place to chill, I can just bring the laptop and hang out, or the example I used with my friends and the local bar we go. There's millions of instances where being able to bring your stuff is a plus so the question to me was never really "is the money worth it?" in terms of getting the highest technology possible for that price and as I said before I'm not even that into high end games.

My doubts only stemmed from the ability that the laptop has and if there was any major flaw that someone who never had one could not foresee.

anyway, I've made my decision, so we'll see how it turns out, based from the experience other users had I think it'll be good

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why not do both?

For the price you will pay, you could easily get a desktop that will greatly outperform that laptop, and still have enough money to buy a midrange laptop. As long as you have a dedicated graphic card in it, it will be able to run most games decently.

That way, you get the best performance when you are at home, and still be able to game on the road. Only difference is the laptop will not be running everything on ultra, but again, on a 17'' screen, you most likely won't see the difference and you get to enjoy a much better/larger monitor at home.

Also, you don't have to spend so much on the extended warranty or feel extra cautious with a cheaper laptop.

I did this for several years using various gaming laptops, but realized in the end that I still set up a gaming station at home with a monitor, keyboard, mouse and laptop cooler, so it just felt silly not to have a desktop where I play 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    Why not do both?

For the price you will pay, you could easily get a desktop that will greatly outperform that laptop, and still have enough money to buy a midrange laptop. As long as you have a dedicated graphic card in it, it will be able to run most games decently.

That way, you get the best performance when you are at home, and still be able to game on the road. Only difference is the laptop will not be running everything on ultra, but again, on a 17'' screen, you most likely won't see the difference and you get to enjoy a much better/larger monitor at home.

Also, you don't have to spend so much on the extended warranty or feel extra cautious with a cheaper laptop.

I did this for several years using various gaming laptops, but realized in the end that I still set up a gaming station at home with a monitor, keyboard, mouse and laptop cooler, so it just felt silly not to have a desktop where I play 90% of the time.
    Pretty much this. My friend has a PC at my house, and when he moves, I'll build a PC for his house. The only time a Laptop is ever a reasonable choice is if you do not have space for it (you can make space, if you have a table/desk anywhere, you have space already), or you move a lot - and I mean like, business trips every month for a week or whatever.

Deleted
    I've been thinking about it more recently but I think I'm too lazy to build a desktop + buying a mid range laptop, it's just easier to get 1 that does everything I need.
    It might be dumb though.

Furthermore, I'm in a unique situation where the house I live is terrible (super small with 2 people) and will be moving in the next couple of months but until then I have no space or desk for that matter to have a proper setup.
    It seems all around more convinient for me right now to just bite the pillow buy the laptop and hopefully live happily ever after.

I may consider buying a desktop in a couple of years though, that's not out of the question but I'll need to have a place of my own where I know I'll stay for quite a while.

About the extended warranty - it's 90£ but covers literally everything (accidental damage, spillage) except theft for 2 years.
    Last edited by mmocbed85ea23e; 2016-08-23 at 09:53 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankslol View Post
    I've been thinking about it more recently but I think I'm too lazy to build a desktop + buying a mid range laptop, it's just easier to get 1 that does everything I need.
    It might be dumb though.

Furthermore, I'm in a unique situation where the house I live is terrible (super small with 2 people) and will be moving in the next couple of months but until then I have no space or desk for that matter to have a proper setup.
    It seems all around more convinient for me right now to just bite the pillow buy the laptop and hopefully live happily ever after.

I may consider buying a desktop in a couple of years though, that's not out of the question but I'll need to have a place of my own where I know I'll stay for quite a while.

About the extended warranty - it's 90£ but covers literally everything (accidental damage, spillage) except theft for 2 years.
    ASUS covers accidental on their 1yr Manufacturers warranty. I know that's not really going to make a difference since you're getting the 2yrs extended, but the more you know :P

But yeah I'm confined to my bed to play games so I know the feeling, laptop was 110% more convenient for me too hahaha

7+ Year Old Account
    Gaming laptops... similar in nature to the undercoating option on new/used cars.

Deleted
    The order is done, it'll be here by Aug 27, we'll see how it goes!
    Hoping for the best