Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Awareness : (Not standing in fire) & (positioning) - 10, this is generally not an issue for me unless I know I can survive it and either benefit from it (use it to generate RP via AMS or something, or I need to save someone else via a heal)

Reaction / adaption : (Interrupts & CC) / (one of the players who were assigned to interrupts died. and you step in.) Hope this made sense. - 9. Interrupts/stuns/grips tend to be spot on. Given the general lack of CC in raids and 5mans, as well as my general lack of playing classes that do this, often means the requisite ability is not always bound.

Team-play: (Throwing offheals and taunts and dps, when not playing the respective roll) - 10, if you are asking will I toss heals, CDs, stuns to keep people alive if I'm DPS or in the off-tank portion of the program, or taunt and kite a bit if I see I can get away with it in a pinch. 7 if you want me to DPS as a healer to make the last boss of Shadowmoon Burial Grounds go faster.

Tank : (Playing as a tank) - I like to think I'm a 10, no lower than 9, even if sometimes I may do things that look unorthodox and poorly conceived. I know my abilities inside and out, and if I'm doing anything I have a rationale behind it, and I know I can pull it off. I won't pull all the trash leading to Socrethar at once if I don't have a plan to be standing at the end of it. I've held together the loss of the OT on numerous Heroic (we only do Heroic, so no mythic gear) Archimondes, Mannoroths, Fel Lord Zakuuns, and Xhul'Horac kills. I've also soloed, among others, Kazzak and Mythic UBRS (prior to the pre-Legion patch), so being creative and knowing what to use when is something I've worked on, as well as being creative in my approach. One knock against me is that I haven't had/sought out the opportunities to test myself against Mythic content much due to low population server and having a devil of a time finding 20 able bodied raiders.

DPS (Melee) : (Playing melee dps) - 7. I don't DPS much, so my ability to "feel" when things are off CD isn't as finely tuned as they are on my tanking specs. I err on the side of caught to avoid avoidable damage, even if sticking in that one tic of fire would get me a higher parse. I want to win. If I'm 5th and we win, I'll take that over being 1st and wiping.

DPS (Ranged) : (Playing ranged dps) - 6. Same as the melee dps, but also I'm really bad with classes that can't do much DPS on the move. I hate the talents/abilities that require a toggle to cast on the go, and have yet to find an ideal spot/keybind for them in my UI.

Healer : (Playing a healer) - 5. I can get you through a 5man Mythic and Timewalker without much issue as long as you don't stand in bad. But when it comes to mouse-over macros, true healer UI and mods, well...I play a healer so infrequently that I haven't ever taken the time to set up those kinds of things. Healers come around towards the end of an expansion for me.

pve / pvp (which one you rated yourself on) - PVE.
    Overall: (How you rate yourself as an overall player) - 8, overall. I tank and I know things. After that, I'm not as practiced or comfortable, though I can hold my own against most people all other things (i.e. gear) being equal.

Awareness : 7, but with experiences comes great awareness - though 5 mans I have superb awarness.
    Reaction / adaption : 9 but I am a healer. Though when assigned to do an interrupt job such as on Nefarian in Cata, I do a damn good job.
    Team-play: 9 healer at heart, so buffing and healing is really in me
    Tank : 9
    DPS (Melee) : stupidly enough, I suck as DPS. I also don't care for it as a mainspec. This may be why. This + my situaton awareness when things are new makes me a dead idiot. I would give myself 3.
    DPS (Ranged) : Never played one.
    Healer : 9, honestly once my situational awareness kicks in, my healing will make you happy

pve: 9 (always play a healer in a group)
    pvp: - never play pvp
    Overall: 7

And finally how likely are you to care enough to try and improve your gameplay / knowlegde: going from 1 - 10. It is a 10 a few weeks after launch. Then it steadily declines to a 1. After you know everything, you don't want to spend as much time on that topic anymore.

Awareness : 7
    Doing fine usually but tend to get distracted when healing.
    Reaction / adaption : 8
    When I have the task or ability I will perform well in it
    Team-play: 9
    Good awareness and empathy
    Tank : 7
    I can tank but don't star in it.
    DPS (Melee) : 6
    Not really my thing
    DPS (Ranged) :8
    Solid player as ranged dps.
    Healer : 9
    Doing well as healer, have a good setup and are always evaluating my game.

pve
    Overall: 8
    I have been playing a long time and know my classes and roles well.

I am always reading up on the game, will not go to extremes to min/max but will try and improve.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I'm not sure what measuring system you use, but 9/10 means you are 90% competent at what you do. Not that you are better then 90% of people. There could be 50% of people scoring 9/10.
    I'm talking about percentiles - like with grades (non-US-style - I understand they use some weird curve-based system). What percentage of people get this grade etc.

I don't think "90% competent" means anything at all, so I'm not sure what you're rating on. I mean, seriously, what does "90% competent" even mean? What I know is I'm better than almost everyone I've played with at tanking and dealing with shit going wrong - but I know there are players out there who are a lot lot better than me.

It's like with Quake, if you ever played that back in the day. I was a really good Quake player by general standards. I would dominate servers with like 180 kills when the next guy had 30, and of my 5 deaths, 3 would be suicides of various kinds. With team DM games I was often just wildly outplaying everyone on my team and the other one, to the point where people would just start logging off with comments like "Why am I even here?".

But was I pro-grade? HAHAHAHAHAH NOPE. I had a housemate who was on the very bottom edge of pro. He would beat me like 20 to 3 frags, one on one, and in bigger death matches he'd still double or triple my score without breaking a sweat. And as he said, I was the next best player to him he knew, who was worse than him - he knew people way better than he was!

So I was probably in the top 1-5% of Quake players worldwide. But pros? They're in the top 0.01% or smaller.

(I should really buy Overwatch, shouldn't I? Playing Pharah in the open beta bought back some damn good memories and apparently I am still good with a rocket launcher...)
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2016-08-23 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetesh View Post
    Topic says "honestly"

- - - Updated - - -

Another Serenity material!

Ah, no thanks, I'm good!
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

Awareness : 6
    If i know what to do i will probably be aware of everything that happens and try to avoid/stand/insert action.However if is something i never did i will probably do something i shouln't.

Reaction / adaption : im not shure but i would give 4.
    The best i ever did was change presence from Frost to Blood back in MoP,tank the 2th boss of SoO and stay in top 3 healers in a pug.
    Team-play:4
    I don't do much group content but when i do i try to do the best i can.

Tank : 5
    I stated tanking recently but until now no one died with me tanking.Yay.

DPS (Melee) :6 i do my job,attack the boss,kill the ads,Bz when i can,however im not shure how my dps is.
    DPS (Ranged) : Same as above removing the Bz.

Healer :4
    I was leveling a priest(until the invasions begun)yea few people died but i quickly ran out of mana and always feeling i was doing something wrong.

pve:4
    Mythic Dungeons and LFR/LFD is all i do.Which i do what i can,however i always feel like im not doing something.

Pvp:3
    I suck.
    Overall:4.5
    I try my best in whatever i do but i dont know how im doing.
    I didn't care for HFC,the gear is not cool enough for me to bother.Tier 19 is another story.
    Last edited by Darktbs; 2016-08-23 at 01:18 PM.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Awareness : 6
    Reaction / adaption : 5
    Team-play: 5
    Tank : 2 (i just havent done it that much)
    DPS (Melee) : 5
    DPS (Ranged) : 5
    Healer : 6

pve
    Overall: 5

To be honest i'm almost 30 my reaction times are not as good as they used to be. I play drunk a lot, and i'm in a guild that struggles to start mythics toward the end of the raid cycyle. I feel like a lot of people in the thread are being pretty generous. I'm a potato doing the best a potato can do but no way do i think i'm playing at 70% of progression raider efficiency.

Not sure how to answer some of these.. for example, I've never played a healer to the point of being able to actually judge my own performance (typically in LFR scenarios or just outgearing encounters).

I'd say that in PvE, I'm a hair above the average player (note this does not mean average raider, or average MMOC poster). I do ok DPS, generally don't die, etc, though I do have a tendency to tunnel now and then, and I don't play many classes (nor am I interested in such a thing)

In PvP I'm absolutely below average. Bad situational awareness, pretty bad at knowing what to counter and when, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    But the silly people are basically just assuming we're all claiming to be amazing. We're not. 9/10 tank isn't amazing. It's just better than all but 10% of people when they play a tank. That's not all that good, frankly. I mean, I say 8/10 for healing for me - and a lot of that is just because I think about healing, know which heals to use when (logically, not emotionally), have clique set up and all that stuff, and most healers just do not even cast heals, that's goddamn amazing thing about WoW.
    This is the problem, you are talking percentiles, I'm talking absolutes.

If you are a 9 it doesn't mean that you are in the 10%, hell 10% of the playerbase are not a 9. And yes a 9 means amazing, 10 means PERFECT, which some people do not seem to grasp.

This is why this topic is absurd

Quote Originally Posted by kibil View Post
    My GF, family, etc says this game fucks me up... :-(
    Oh buddy, I really really understand you now. Same stuff here

Awareness : 8
    Reaction / adaption : 7
    Team-play: 6
    Tank : 5
    DPS (Melee) : 6
    DPS (Ranged) : 9
    Healer : 3

Overall: I've always done well in PvE but I'm a really poor PvP player. I do however tend to care a little too much about my own performance and DPS and sometimes that can cost both me and others - Spending a GCD on a heal/raid CD? But my DPS?!

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a time where I'd honestly rank myself among the top ENH shamans in the game (many years ago). I always parsed towards the top including a few number 1s and was constantly being asked for tips by other guilds. Now, years later, I could care less. I only play casually and think I actually started enjoying the game more now as a result. I startred feeling like raiding was a job and I already had a tough enough job irl, so I quit. Today, I'm just playing for fun. I know my dps is poor now, but I haven't lost my raid awareness when I occassionally do pug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    This is the problem, you are talking percentiles, I'm talking absolutes.

If you are a 9 it doesn't mean that you are in the 10%, hell 10% of the playerbase are not a 9. And yes a 9 means amazing, 10 means PERFECT, which some people do not seem to grasp.

This is why this topic is absurd
    Actually, one self can pretty much define anything inbetween 1 and 10 as they want. you could say, 5 = average, 6 = okayish, 7= decent, 8= fairly good, 9 = good,. That is completly up to one self. as it doesn't really matter.

And you again calling the thread / topic absurd when it serves the exact purpose it was created for...

Just because you disagree doesn't make you right.

Let me spell it out for you. T H I S I S J U S T T O S E E H O W P E O P L E R A T E T H E M S E L V E S A C C O R D I N G T O T H E I R O W N
    S T A N D A R D S W H I C H M E A N S Y O U R S T A N D A R D S D O N O T A P P L Y T O T H E I R R A T I N G S.

Deleted
    Awareness: 8 (-1 because I'm not perfect, -1 because sometimes my atention lapses)
    Reaction / adaption: 8 (-1 because my reaction time is not perfect, -1 because sometimes I interrupt by instinct, not paying attention to my turn in the rotation)
    Team-play: 9 usually (TBC and offtanking taught me that), but in LFR drops to a 6
    Tank: 9 because there is always room for improvement
    DPS (Melee): 8 because I'm lazy to min max my gear
    DPS (Ranged): 6 I'm a melee guy, never got used to cast time abilities, timing is off, suck at aoe with ranged classes.
    Healer : 5 Healers are the least played classes by me, because of this I'm not used to their mindset. Reaction time, prioritization, UI setup, etc could use a lot of work. Also I lack experience with them, never done relevant raid content with a healer. Also I suck at soloing with them

PVE

How likely are you to care enough to try and improve your gameplay / knowlegde?
    I'm always looking for ways to improve myself, but I'm not competitive enough to want to be world class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freazy View Post
    You guyz are so Self critical .. i admire that .. i guess even your 9/10 is enough for LFR so you should be fine
    I smell sarcasm.
    I'm very good at some things, terrible at others. I have mostly played a tank and a healer through my WoW career (since 2007), so my positioning is great, especially since healers get great training considering they have to keep an eye out both on the raid and their own positioning. That also benefits you as ranged dps. As a tank, you're the one positioning the boss, therefore you get even more training by not standing in the shit as well as making sure not to fuck it up for the whole raid.
    I however don't like being told what to do, I think what I do is best, therefore my teamplay is bad. I think melee dps is too much work therefore I give very little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by tweekzlol View Post
    Actually, one self can pretty much define anything inbetween 1 and 10 as they want. you could say, 5 = average, 6 = okayish, 7= decent, 8= fairly good, 9 = good,. That is completly up to one self. as it doesn't really matter.

And you again calling the thread / topic absurd when it serves the exact purpose it was created for...

Just because you disagree doesn't make you right.

Let me spell it out for you. T H I S I S J U S T T O S E E H O W P E O P L E R A T E T H E M S E L V E S A C C O R D I N G T O T H E I R O W N
    S T A N D A R D S W H I C H M E A N S Y O U R S T A N D A R D S D O N O T A P P L Y T O T H E I R R A T I N G S.
    This is getting comical 10/10

Deleted
    Awareness : 10
    I am the raid leader of my group, if I miss something we will probably wipe
    Reaction / adaption : 8-9
    The given example was actually nearly never fits me since I play a shadow priest, so neither interrupting / cc was never high on my priority list since every other class can do it better, but if someone dies from an interrupt rotation i will usually assign someone mid attempt to take his spot.
    Team-play: 7-9
    i am going 7-9 on this one since well during MoP it was important to Snipe ToF with renews on people, which also healed them a bit. Obviously i did that a lot to maximise dps. Then during WoD without renew well i sometimes threw a shield on someone in danger but sometimes that was bad because the disc priest couldnt shield that person. Now after pre patch i could throw more shields arround, but since no one is taking much dmg in the pre patch their isnt much need for it.
    Tank : 9
    During Mythic Xhul Progression one of our main tanks dropped, so we geared an alt of mine and i tanked the last 3 bosses during progression.
    DPS (Melee) : 4
    During the above mentioned time i also learned that i am a rather bad melee dps.
    DPS (Ranged) : 10
    I always try to max my dps. Judging by my Warcraftlogs Rankings I did a good job. 89% before prepatch 93% after
    Healer : 6-7
    In MoP I sometimes had to play disc, but I was (and still am) alot worse then our main disc, but it was good enough for heroic 25 progression back then.

PVE

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I'm talking about percentiles - like with grades (non-US-style - I understand they use some weird curve-based system). What percentage of people get this grade etc.
    Normal grading from 1 to 10 means you get a 1 when you have every question wrong and a 10 when you have every question correct.

I don't think "90% competent" means anything at all, so I'm not sure what you're rating on. I mean, seriously, what does "90% competent" even mean? .
    Since playing a game doesn't involve answering questions, it means 1 for someone who does everything wrong and 10 for someone who does everything right. Someone who does everything correct is 100% competent. So if you perform at 90%, you do about 90% of things correct. I hope you do realize how difficult it is to accurately rate performance, especially your own.

It's impossible to rate based on percentage of people worse or better then you, and it's not something you do when grading like this. We are asked to grade our own performance, not our position in the group as a whole.

When you got a 10 in school, did that mean you were the best? No, it meant you didn't make an error. Everyone in your class could have a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Yeah I don't think people grasp this. If the scale starts at 1 and ends at 10. 1 is the worst possible, 10 would be perfection. Not even the people in Method or Paragon are 10, if they were the world first race would be far shorter than it is. They are probably about 8-9+, which means the people in here claiming to be 8, 9, or 10 at anything have a severely inflated view of their own skill set.