Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    anyone can correct me if I am wrong but I am looking for a monitor myself.

if your computer is running wow over 60fps at all you wont be seeing any of that with a 60hz monitor. getting a ips monitor with higher refresh rate can be pretty expensive. but if I had the money id be getting one.

Everything I have come to find say TN for gaming and IPS for content creation (video editing, Photoshop)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    IPS can be just as good for gaming, same with VA.

That adage (TN for gaming, IPS for content creation) really is just for the stupidly elite gamers - AKA no one on these forums.

Though, I'd definitely prefer an IPS, or VA even more-so for content creation.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Sonatine185 View Post
    I've been deciding whether to get a U2414H. But is IPS really worth it? Large amounts of glow, mediocre blacks, mediocre response. I usually just watch shows and play WoW/Hearthstone. I occasionally play Overwatch but not a hardcore fpser so I don't really need a 144hz. What do you guys think or recommend as alternatives?
    Nobody needs it, but it's one of those things you don't go back on, like SSDs. Once you go 144hz, you spoil yourself in never going 60hz for games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sargior View Post
    anyone can correct me if I am wrong but I am looking for a monitor myself.

if your computer is running wow over 60fps at all you wont be seeing any of that with a 60hz monitor. getting a ips monitor with higher refresh rate can be pretty expensive. but if I had the money id be getting one.

Everything I have come to find say TN for gaming and IPS for content creation (video editing, Photoshop)
    I have an IPS monitor, it's not bad and the multi-angle viewing is very noticeable but not on my list of priorities when looking for monitors.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Nobody needs it, but it's one of those things you don't go back on, like SSDs. Once you go 144hz, you spoil yourself in never going 60hz for games.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an IPS monitor, it's not bad and the multi-angle viewing is very noticeable but not on my list of priorities when looking for monitors.
    I had the ASUS ROG Swift 144Hz (first one) and I will say, as much as I loved that smoothness, the viewing angles and color shifting were a major problem - so now I am "back" on a 60Hz monitor... albeit this one is curved, VA, and 3440x1440. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    And they shouldn't really look different unless you're looking at them from weird angles.
    Except that the colour error with TN panels begins very quickly. No need to be looking from a weird angle - even head on, you'll still get colour shifts outside of the monitor's middle, which become even more prominent the closer to the edges you get.

I have an image I use that's a grid of two close colours repeating forever.
    [A][B]
    [B][A]
    I've yet to find a TN panel which can display the grid over the entire panel correctly (which all my IPS panels can).
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2016-08-20 at 03:48 PM.

Is IPS worth it? It depends how much the dodgy colours at certain viewing angles annoy you.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    not the IPS i was thinking of...

someday, computer people will stop coming up with the same short form names for the different things (and no, i was not thinking IPs)
    Which kind of IPS were you thinking about then?

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Which kind of IPS were you thinking about then?
    intrusion prevention one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    intrusion prevention one
    Probably (most definitely) a lot less known to the gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's the slowest. Typical IPS is 8ms, typical VA is 10ms, but Sharp and Innolux is around 6ms g2g typical TN is around 3-4ms without heavy overdrive artifacts. That said, motion blur for LCDs and OLEDs are caused more by sample and hold than they are caused by pixel response time.

Old VAs actually had the fastest response time compared to TN and IPS back in the day. It's just they couldn't really push it lower some reason.
    what year do u live in? IPS has come all the way down to 2 Ms.. and TN is no longer in 3-4.... but 2 ms.

i have a IPS and TN panel monitors and the major difference is the Color reproduction and White color, and so so

consider an ultrawide?

I'm using an IPS panel in my Acer Predator X34. It's my first IPS monitor and you really do notice the colors are much better compared to TN. Also, ultrawide works really well for gaming in my opinion. It's also good for movies that use a theatric aspect ratio - The Force Awakens bluray, for example, uses the entire screen with no letterboxing which looks amazing even though it's just upscaled from 1080P.

Do take a look at the ultrawides and see if any of them work for you. My x34 was $1200, but there are much cheaper options if you're willing to sacrifice some things.

For example, can't link but the Dell UltraSharp U2913WM is $339 on amazon. It's 29 inches, uses an AH-IPS panel and has a 2560 x 1080 resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    what year do u live in? IPS has come all the way down to 2 Ms.. and TN is no longer in 3-4.... but 2 ms.

i have a IPS and TN panel monitors and the major difference is the Color reproduction and White color, and so so
    Please do note without heavy overdrive artifacts and I'm not talking paper spec, I'm talking actual performance. Overdrive artifacts can be and generally are considered worse than the pixel transition blur. Just cause one G2G transition can be low doesn't mean the average for the entire spectrum.
    To give you an idea for IPS. http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...tionsverhalten
    This is what PG279Q looks like to achieve 4ms (3.8 for prad, 4.0 for tft's) average G2G and it has one of the fastest pixel transition for an IPS-type. The overshoot literally went off the charts. TFT central noted it at 178% overshoot on one transition just to achieve that.
    In terms of the 2nd picture it wants to adhere as close to the line thing as possible.

Otherwise typical IPS is like this.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2417h.htm

As for TN, let's take this which also has a decently fast TN panel.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm
    The average is 3.1ms with moderate overshoot.

Paper specs are useless.

- - - Updated - - -

So I thought this'd be fun exercise, which one is IPS-type, which one is TN.

Please do note without heavy overdrive artifacts and I'm not talking paper spec, I'm talking actual performance. Overdrive artifacts can be and generally are considered worse than the pixel transition blur. Just cause one G2G transition can be low doesn't mean the average for the entire spectrum.
    To give you an idea for IPS. http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...tionsverhalten
    This is what PG279Q looks like to achieve 4ms (3.8 for prad, 4.0 for tft's) average G2G and it has one of the fastest pixel transition for an IPS-type. The overshoot literally went off the charts. TFT central noted it at 178% overshoot on one transition just to achieve that.
    In terms of the 2nd picture it wants to adhere as close to the line thing as possible.

Otherwise typical IPS is like this.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2417h.htm

As for TN, let's take this which also has a decently fast TN panel.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm
    The average is 3.1ms with moderate overshoot.

Paper specs are useless.

- - - Updated - - -

So I thought this'd be fun exercise, which one is IPS-type, which one is TN.
    mhm i would say that TN is on the Left and IPS is on the Right. there is a clear difference in Blue and the Right one is alittle more Whiteish then blue infact LightBlue. so i stick to my choice Right is IPS and Left is TN.

10+ Year Old Account
    mhm i would say that TN is on the Left and IPS is on the Right. there is a clear difference in Blue and the Right one is alittle more Whiteish then blue infact LightBlue. so i stick to my choice Right is IPS and Left is TN.
    Other way around. Top left FS2735, bottom left PG279Q, top right MG248Q, bottom right XL2730Z. Biggest outlier would be the PG279Q actually and in hindsight I should've used MG279Q. Forgot that PG279Q had very bad panel color temperature uniformity where as MG279Q is a lot more stable.

Other way around. Top left FS2735, bottom left PG279Q, top right MG248Q, bottom right XL2730Z. Biggest outlier would be the PG279Q actually and in hindsight I should've used MG279Q. Forgot that PG279Q had very bad panel color temperature uniformity where as MG279Q is a lot more stable.
    well to be honest i did look on a TN panel monitor.. and also i was unsure if it was 4 different monitors.. u could have told me that lol

10+ Year Old Account
    well to be honest i did look on a TN panel monitor.. and also i was unsure if it was 4 different monitors.. u could have told me that lol
    That doesn't matter and is a poor excuse. Thought it was obvious that showing four different screens would be all different screens. Just put the color difference between IPS and TN to rest, it's bogus. Only difference between panels would be VA panels due to the higher static contrast.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-23 at 08:20 PM.

That doesn't matter and is a poor excuse. Thought it was obvious that showing four different screens would be all different screens. Just put the color difference between IPS and TN to rest, it's bogus. Only difference between panels would be VA panels due to the higher static contrast.
    Sorry but your 100% wrong here.. you gave no exact information. 4 monitors okay? but how the fuck should anyone know that? it could have been 1 monitor.. or even 2.. but ye leave out the most importent information imo.

IPS is impossible to spot on a TN panel.. and also IPS and TN only has a few major difference like viewing angels and better color reproduction on a IPS vs Tn. the GtG isnt a big deal in my opnion well as long as u dont go over 8ms.

but it's sorta the same as saying no difference on a 144 and 60 hz.. while theres a major difference.. all through its impossible to spot 144hz on a 60 hz.. the answer should be obvious.

we could apply the same rule to 4k vs 1k. on a 1k monitor.. impossible to notice the difference that the 4k has since your monitor is incapable of showing the dense pixels and so on..

Simple answer IPS normally has very good colors,viewing angels,slightly higher gtg and normally also abit more expensive. other then that IPS isn't really needed unless u go beyond 27 inch in my opnion as a bigger monitor would start to show somewhat greyish/blackish areas when viewing from a angle.

but then again if u want to Play mainly FPS just go TN panels with 144hz and 1ms. while if u enjoy rpg/sim type games or basicly any game that is a pretty experience then go IPS cause again better colors. oh and if u go 4k monitors try and get a IPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but your 100% wrong here.. you gave no exact information. 4 monitors okay? but how the fuck should anyone know that? it could have been 1 monitor.. or even 2.. but ye leave out the most importent information imo.
    Cause for the sake of accuracy and perception putting only 1 monitor would've been misleading. Sure if I posted it was 4 monitor would it make a difference perceptually? Reality is you couldn't tell the difference. I wasn't even trying to play any mind games, you're the one that came up with that.
    IPS is impossible to spot on a TN panel.. and also IPS and TN only has a few major difference like viewing angels and better color reproduction on a IPS vs Tn. the GtG isnt a big deal in my opnion well as long as u dont go over 8ms.
    The issue is people keep comparing old TN panels where they were limited to 6bit color depth, and this hasn't been an issue for the past 4 years now.
    The pixel response information was in response to your false information, that was it.
    but it's sorta the same as saying no difference on a 144 and 60 hz.. while theres a major difference.. all through its impossible to spot 144hz on a 60 hz.. the answer should be obvious.

we could apply the same rule to 4k vs 1k. on a 1k monitor.. impossible to notice the difference that the 4k has since your monitor is incapable of showing the dense pixels and so on..
    Has absolutely no relevant in the topic and a completely different thing.
    Simple answer IPS normally has very good colors,viewing angels,slightly higher gtg and normally also abit more expensive. other then that IPS isn't really needed unless u go beyond 27 inch in my opnion as a bigger monitor would start to show somewhat greyish/blackish areas when viewing from a angle.

but then again if u want to Play mainly FPS just go TN panels with 144hz and 1ms. while if u enjoy rpg/sim type games or basicly any game that is a pretty experience then go IPS cause again better colors. oh and if u go 4k monitors try and get a IPS.
    Which is the falsehood that you yourself proven that it doesn't change reproduction and accuracy. The only difference between IPS and TN are viewing angles and response times, that is it. It's a common argument that hasn't been the case for years.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-23 at 09:05 PM.

You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a 1k monitor. I mean, I guess you could call a 1024x768 a 1k, but really, at the time, we had no need for the 2k/4k names and just called things 1024x768.

Before you try to tell me 1k is 1080p, nope, 1080p is 2k. 4k is 4096x2160. It's called 4k because of the number of horizontal pixels being approximately 4000. 1080p is 1920x1080, or approximately 2000 horizontal pixels. If you don't even know that, I don't think i'll be taking your word on anything else monitor related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause for the sake of accuracy and perception putting only 1 monitor would've been misleading. Sure if I posted it was 4 monitor difference would it make a difference perceptually? Reality is you couldn't tell the difference. I wasn't even trying to play any mind games, you're the one that came up with that. And if you had issues, you could've asked before hand.
    The issue is people keep comparing old TN panels where they were limited to 6bit color depth, and this hasn't been an issue for the past 5-6 years now.
    The pixel response information was in response to your false information, that was it.

Has absolutely no relevant in the topic and a completely different thing.

Which is the falsehood that you yourself proven that it doesn't change reproduction and accuracy. The only difference between IPS and TN are viewing angles and response times, that is it.