Question to guild leaders/officers

One of my friends last night was telling me that her guild locked anyone who isn't a raider out of the raiding section on their website where they discuss things about boss fights and other stuff such as polls for new raids times, ect ect.

What exactly is the purpose of alienating part of the guild from these things?

Why would people who don't raid be interested in this in the first place?

To keep those forums cleaner etc (even more so in the polls)?

In my guild, only raiders have accounts on the website (as it's tied to the applications, but I guess socials don't really care anyway).

There are some people in this world that are assholes.

I don't know if this applies to your friends guild specifically, but sometimes raiding guilds with large social components have players who live vicariously through the raiding parts of the guild - and this can get very annoying sometimes, when people with no experience comment or make suggestions, or question officer decisions.

Separating the raiding and social portions of guilds can sometimes ease tensions, and from the perspective of the raiding team, it's not something that the social part needs to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Why would people who don't raid be interested in this in the first place?
    She used to raid, but took a break about 3 months ago. She wants to raid again in Legion.

Deleted
    Did they lock them out or did they never open it to begin with?

In the raid forum, you typically want to reduce spam/noise and keep it clean.

If the non raiders want to chit chat I guess there is an offtopic section?

My guild always did this too. We didn't really have a full website, just forums. We had a class forum for each class (everyone in guild could see these), raiding discussions forum (raiders only), general bullshit forum (everyone who registered an account and passed the captcha thing could see/post to this, even the general public who weren't guild members), officer forum (officers only), and recruitment forum where people could post applications. We had the recruitment forum set up so everyone could post in it, but only officers could see what was posted.

There was no need for people who didn't raid to see discussions that were going on in the raiding forum. It helped keep things clean.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-23 at 04:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    There was no need for people who didn't raid to see discussions that were going on in the raiding forum. It helped keep things clean.
    Also means you can have private discussions limited to your class or your raiders without knowing that every public random can read all about what's happening in your guild and between your players.

It's nice to have a clean space that our raider members can discuss things without anyone who wasn't there butting in with unwelcome advice. Usually socials who try to be "helpful" with random suggestions just post in with something they saw on fatboss or something it's like... you have no context, you are not part of our team, please don't fill our threads with irrelevancy.

That's not even considering that sometimes raiding can get highly competitive (not just in world top 10, but also in realm first races and even just old guild rivals). I can see reasons why not having all of your guild discussion, strategies, dramas and afks publicly visible is smart!

Do your friend play in one of the top 10 guilds in the world by any chance? If she does they don't want tactics to leak to their competitors.

Otherwise it could be that they don't want input from non raiders.
    Last edited by babyback; 2016-08-23 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Also means you can have private discussions limited to your class or your raiders without knowing that every public random can read all about what's happening in your guild and between your players.

It's nice to have a clean space that our raider members can discuss things without anyone who wasn't there butting in with unwelcome advice. Usually socials who try to be "helpful" with random suggestions just post in with something they saw on fatboss or something it's like... you have no context, you are not part of our team, please don't fill our threads with irrelevancy.

That's not even considering that sometimes raiding can get highly competitive (not just in world top 10, but also in realm first races and even just old guild rivals). I can see reasons why not having all of your guild discussion, strategies, dramas and afks publicly visible is smart!
    I agree with a lot of points in this thread. I guess she felt betrayed by the guild because she raided with them for the entirety of WoD up until 3 months ago when she was just burnt out. So it's not like she never raided and had 0 experience..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Do your friend play in one of the top 10 guilds in the world by any chance? If she does they don't want tactics to leak to their competitors.

Otherwise it could be that they don't want input from non raiders.
    Lmao. No. According to WoW progress, they're top 2,000.

Maybe it's a free-for-all guild with 900+ members that invites everyone left and right. I could see the point in having a more serious forum section in that case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    You have to keep a tight nit group in and out of the game to keep up on things. A lot of guilds just don't want information leaked - especially people going for realm firsts, etc. To me, just because you're in the guild - HELL - even if I'm an officer of the guild.. sometimes I don't even want access to stuff like that just because I don't want to be blamed for something when I didn't even have access in the first place.

If I was a raider, I would 100% surely want access to raid strats ahead of time, that way when you're on the boss fight - you're not getting dicked over/in the wrong place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    I agree with a lot of points in this thread. I guess she felt betrayed by the guild because she raided with them for the entirety of WoD up until 3 months ago when she was just burnt out. So it's not like she never raided and had 0 experience..
    However, she's not NOW a raider, right? It's far better not to make any exceptions to rules, otherwise you invite drama. "Oh, you said socials couldnt get into the raiding forums but Lisa can? Why is SHE special!!???" Is that adult? Not really... but it does happen and it's cleaner to enforce rules consistently. If she wants to raid again, I imagine she'd talk to them, get bumped back to raider status and then the issue is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    One of my friends last night was telling me that her guild locked anyone who isn't a raider out of the raiding section on their website where they discuss things about boss fights and other stuff such as polls for new raids times, ect ect.

What exactly is the purpose of alienating part of the guild from these things?
    What business is it of those who do not put forth the effort to support the raid effort to have any say whatsoever in the direction the raid group moves?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

7+ Year Old Account
    careful of snakes