Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Then blizzard should be talking to their ISP. I can't even post on the forums right now.
    Another person who clearly doesn't get it. Do you really think Blizzard is just sitting back going ''hey I wonder how long this will take?" You just can't flip a switch to end a DDoS attack, its not something that is simply just fixed within minutes. You have to find where the attack(s) are coming from block them, reroute traffic, re-assign new I.P.s so the others aren't targetted anymore.

Go the fuck outside for awhile and get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is.... I see no evidence of a DDoS attack. That's just what Blizzard has claimed, not necessarily what's happening.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Can't log in on Battle.net, and none of the games on it currently work. Battle.net was such a good idea, huh?

I know Blizzard is only good for churning out sub-par content these days, but I guess their DDOS protection is pretty much the same in that regard. Oh how I love that classic Blizztard quality.

Wow, so many people in this thread know how to stop ddos attacks! What an amazing depth of knowledge! Patent your ideas boys, you're all gonna be rich. I really loved the "upgrade your shit" idea. That's a really good one. Or the "pay your isp more Blizzard".

We'll be through this in no time thanks to the brave people sitting behind their keyboards, with all the answers!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The thing is.... I see no evidence of a DDoS attack. That's just what Blizzard has claimed, not necessarily what's happening.
    You think you don't, but you do.™

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljaedon View Post
    I am thinking people think legion starts today? My queue time says almost 200 people in front of me. I really hope Blizzard is more on its game next tuesday. I could not play WOD for almost 3 days after release because of 4 hour queues and I do not have time to stay at a pc waiting in line that long.
    They won't open up more slots on a server when an expansions launches. If they would it'd be a disaster for many of the popular servers. There's a heavy load as it is on launch day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lihonessa View Post
    Can't log in on Battle.net, and none of the games on it currently work. Battle.net was such a good idea, huh?

I know Blizzard is only good for churning out sub-par content these days, but I guess their DDOS protection is pretty much the same in that regard. Oh how I love that classic Blizztard quality.
    Enlighten me as to what DDoS protection is. Please, I'll wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its clear that who is doing it is proving to Acti-Blizz they can do it with impunity. This isn't even launch day, it's a tues (traditionally maintenance day) It's as if they are being merciful to the players choosing a normally "down-time" to do it.

Acti-Blizz is fucked. I don't expect Legion to Launch well at all. This is fucking comical. Other places sustain larger attacks and keep chugging, the way Blizz's "soon to be terminated" Tech, has their systems laid out... yes. they are fucked.

Deleted
    For WoW it's "just a Tuesday", but for Overwatch it's the very last day of their first (and somewhat controversial) seasonal event, with event-exclusive items to grind... when the servers are up, that is. And they're not.

Incidentally, the OW community has already been denied a couple days of the same event right at the start due to repeated attacks, and with this final day wasted, at least a full 10% of the event has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Cloudflare. Now if it can be implemented in a backbone is the real question. Or IP filtering.
    Cloudflare is not going to work against an ISP being targeted where they're hitting multiple/hundreds of I.P addresses at once time. I doubt something like cloudflare is even possible to setup on the backbone. Sure you can filter I.P.s but all they have to do is change. DDoS attacks are using hundreds/thousands of hosts from all over. All DDoS protection is reactive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Legion launch is sure gonna be fun... What the hell is wrong with people to make them want to do something so pointless?
    Getting banned from Overwatch for botting, most likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    They could shell out for better services?
    Such as?

So easy to spend someone else's money, when you don't have the first clue what the actual problem is, or what 'services" Blizzard already has, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    what kind of ISP does blizz use... ISPs off all people should have an easier time with DDOS attacks then individual companies.
    They don't have an ISP - they ARE an ISP. A company like Blizzard's size doesn't buy bandwidth from GoDaddy like you do, they buy their bandwidth/pipe straight from the source, like an ISP does. You could run a decent sized ISP on Blizzard's hardware if you repurposed them.

And, neither party is going to be much better than the other with a DDOS attack. Both will have to work with their bandwidth provider, like AT&T, to filter out the sources of the attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    If the attack is against network providers but not Blizzard itself, they can't do much themselves I guess.
    Pretty much, if the backbone pipe is being attacked, then no way AT&T or the big bandwidth providers are gonna let Blizzard techs into their network to fumble around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    -snip-
    Shush you. Can't you see the network engineers of MMO-Champion are having a meeting here and they know exactly what they are talking about. Just coat servers and cables with dollar bills and it will all go away.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Or catch them and put them behind bars..
    That would be the ultimate game of Whack-A-Mole - which they're pretty much playing anyway. You arrest one, then another jumps in. There are probably millions of anti-social kiddies out there, across the globe, looking to make a name in the "hackerz" world learning to do this stuff, and many, many more who have been doing it for years, and offer their botnets for rent to do it. As soon as one botnet goes down, 10 more of compromised computers pop up, ready to go.

I have a friend who fights this stuff at the high end, his team is the one big corporations call when things go bad - he said it's great job security for him, as long as the internet is structured the way it is, there's no way they can stop it for good - and nobody would like what they'd have to do, to restructure it.

All you "just fix it" people - figure out a way to do that - and you'll be richer than Bill Gates, George Soros, and the Rothschilds, combined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Sure its my IP's fault I can't play blizzard game but I can access the internet. Get your shit straight.
    People saying they can't stop it are just a bit dumbdy dumb. If they couldn't they would be DDOS'ed every day.
    Sorry but this is really Blizzards fault guys.
    Their games, their responsibility, whoever is targeted by the DDOS does not really matter.
    Stop whiteknighting blizzard thank you very much

You have don't have the faintest clue about what you're talking about. I'd try to explain to you how laughably wrong you are, but there's really no point, now is there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    stop whiteknighting please. Or at least make it less obvious. The guy is right. If nothing could be done about DDOS'ing we would have this shit every single day.

Legion launch is probably going to be a shitfest like wod again, most likely worse

You also act like you know everything about it, which you clearly don't.

Please stop being so condescending towards others while you have no idea what you're talking about.
    The world does exprience DDOS attacks on a daily, if not hourly rate. You really have no clue, do you? Or are you trolling?

I'm betting trolling, nobody, even the most idiotic mouthbreather alive wouldn't double down on dumb like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world does exprience DDOS attacks on a daily, if not hourly rate.
    Show them the pretty pictures!
    http://map.norsecorp.com/#/
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    holy shit some of you guys need to learn what a DDoS is, just because an ISP is getting DDoS'd doesn't mean its going to affect every single person who has the same ISP. Blizzard is given a chunk of I.Ps and bandwidth for their stuff, totally separate from consumer level.
    You're talking way above their paygrade - talk to them as if they were a child - because they are children.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're talking way above their paygrade - talk to them as if they were a child - because they are children.
    Normal situation:
    Person #1: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Web site: "Hi person #1, here you go!"
    Person #2: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Web site: "Hi person #2, here you go!"
    Person #3: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Web site: "Hi person #3, here you go!"

Website under DDoS attack:
    Person #2503: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2504: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2505: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2506: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2507: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Web site: "Hi person #63, here you go"
    Person #2508: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2509: "Hi website, I want a webpage."
    Person #2510: "Hi website, I want a webpage."

But again, I don't see much evidence of Blizzard being under DDoS. Seems like a more direct attack.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltan View Post
    so i got a question, I'm not a computer guy or ddos knowing guy, but I've understood that DDOS is kiddies scripting according to twitter and here. my main question is Why doesn't Blizzard just give their best scripters or hackers and basically shut the hackers down by redirecting the DDOS bcak at them? Or is that not possible?
    It's a little more complicated than that. Most likely the attack is on rented/borrowed botnets, from far off exotic countries, that can't be traced effectively, or are just running on compromised computers all over the world. You can filter out those sources, but they can be added to while the attack is ongoing, or redone the next time an attack is done. It's a moving target, basically. If it were that easy, all the big companies would hire teams to sit all day and do just that - DDOS attacks hammer ISPs and governments and corporate servers all day long, everyone gets hit, with botnets looking for vulnerabilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not experiencing anything but I logged in around 11:30 cst. Everything is running smooth atm. Maybe the patch had something to do with it?
    You come get the voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintersol View Post
    Cut the fucking net to china already
    Assuming it's coming from China. Botnets can be anywhere in the world. Your own computer could be part of the bot net attacking right now - cutting of China would accomplish...what?

7+ Year Old Account
    I blame OBAMA for handing the world control over the US Taxpayer's Internet.