Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MP Heather Wheeler sparks Twitter backlash with British Empire post

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-d...ource=facebook

An MP has sparked a backlash after a "deeply offensive" tweet suggesting the Olympics were won by the British Empire.
    Conservative Heather Wheeler shared a graphic with a medals table split between "Rest of World", "British Empire" and "EU post-Brexit".
    After congratulating Team GB, she then wrote: "Now for the Trade Agreements."

The South Derbyshire MP said the tweet was a joke in response to another total which put the EU medals together.

But the post - entitled "Empire Goes For Gold" - has been labelled "deeply offensive to so many people and their ancestors" by Labour MP for Tottenham David Lammy, while others have called it "insensitive and ignorant".

Ms Wheeler, who campaigned for Britain to leave the European Union, told the BBC it was a "tongue-in-cheek reply" which she felt was clear, adding: "My tweet says congratulations to Team GB and the Commonwealth".

When queried about the mention of the British Empire, she said: "It was clearly a joke."

Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan, who also campaigned for Brexit, tweeted in support of Ms Wheeler, saying: "This is Twitter! Any light-hearted remark will spark cretinous faux-outrage!"

The USA topped the Rio Olympics table with 46 gold medals and 121 in total, with Team GB finishing in second.

GB should gtfo already. fucking pussies.

The empire strikes back?

Deleted
    Oh no the horror.

She should put down the Harry Turtledove. The Empress of America, of India and Australia, Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, defender of faith, and protector of the realm, does not reign from her palace in Philadelphia.

Deleted
    i personally think its a pretty dumb post, but obviously a joke, not worth getting worked up about.

it is a bad taste of a joke for an MP to make though.

Inbred cunt being an inbred cunt.

Some (a lot) of Brexiters (synonymous with morons) still confuse a voluntary democratic supernational union with an Empire.

Next she'll be all upset when she realizes that nobody is really keen on those "Trade deals" with the "Good 'ol Masters"...at least not on terms advantageous to Britain. Then she'll realize that Britain is no longer in position to shoot some "subjects" to "convince" them of the advantages of mercantilism.

Fight silly tweets with silly tweets!

I refuse to believe anyone is truly 'deeply offended' by this, but gotta get those brownie points.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post

I refuse to believe anyone is truly 'deeply offended' by this.
    When the media says outrage, what they really mean to say is

MP: *joke*
    People on twitter: The joke is not that funny
    MP: its just a joke guys!!! WHY U ALL OFFENDED!

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    GB should gtfo already. fucking pussies.
    100% This.

Either leave or don't (and apologize for the shit show) stop postponing it hoping it will just go away or that you can drag it out until 2019 and by then enough old people would have died to run a Stay platform general election.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post

I refuse to believe anyone is truly 'deeply offended' by this, but gotta get those brownie points.
    Well... I don't know if the good 'ol colonial subjects of Jamaica, India, Pakistan etc. like being bundled into the achievements of the British "Empire". In a lot of those countries a whole lot of folk died not to be in that Empire.

Nobody died to not be in the EU, as the EU is not in the habit of shooting unruly subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    by then enough old people would have died to run a Stay platform general election.
    Excusing the shortcomings of all those polls that showed the disparity, taking them at face value remain would have won today if the young people actually bothered to vote.
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Just a stupid joke, nothing to see here.

Well... I don't know if the good 'ol colonial subjects of Jamaica, India, Pakistan etc. like being bundled into the achievements of the British "Empire". In a lot of those countries a whole lot of folk died not to be in that Empire.
    It's a stupid tweet about the Olympic medal table, it's not something you need to even consider twice.
    I am the lucid dream

Bad taste but obviously meant to be funny.

I love it. Look at how angry the little turds are getting. Even in this thread some kids brain is having a melt down.

Wonder if she was really just trolling. Like she knew people would be faux outraged and she gets to have a laugh and some free press.

Oh my, so many hurt feelings...why should I care?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure all those countries that fought desperately to escape British Imperialism will love this.

100% This.

Either leave or don't (and apologize for the shit show) stop postponing it hoping it will just go away or that you can drag it out until 2019 and by then enough old people would have died to run a Stay platform general election.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody died to not be in the EU, as the EU is not in the habit of shooting unruly subjects.
    Perhaps in their next lifetime those countries could maybe not get conquered and they won't be so offended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I'm sure all those countries that fought desperately to escape British Imperialism will love this.
    See my above post.

Deleted
    well, the usual suspects hissy fit in this thread is funnier than this MPs joke at least.

If it was on its own I wouldn't think much of it but in light of the EU post, I laughed.