New Headset Recommendations?

So the old raid guild looks like it's getting back together and back into serious raiding. I want back in. So after 4 or 5 years, of not needing one, I am once again in need of a good headset. Was curious if you guys have any recommendations.

I'm currently looking at the Corsair VOID series (https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gamin...corsair%2Bvoid). I don't think I'll be going the wireless route, but probably will at least go for one of the 7.1 Digital Surround headsets over traditional stereo. Does anyone have any experience with the VOID series headsets in general? I am interested in these because 1) I am a fan of Corsair's products in general, and 2) I've had a spotty history with Logitech. Beyond that, I don't have any real experience with any other well known brands.

The main things that matter to me are of course sound quality (both input and output) and long-term comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Most of my friends use some form of the VOID headset. I will certainly recommend not going with a wireless, they've all universally complained about their wireless headsets and switched to the wired variants, which they like.

However, I'm going to recommend the Kingston HyperX Cloud II. I've been using mine for almost a year and I really like them. They're comfortable, the audio quality is good (for $100), and the mic is detachable, which I find very convenient.

I used to be a big advocate for going the headphones + microphone route, but headset quality has come a long way. Not to mention, I don't think 99% of users need or want the small bump in quality that going with headphones + mic gives (a bump that only really exists if you've got a standalone soundcard).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2016-08-23 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    I bought a helium elements 7.1 from scan as a temporary measure before i had time to sort a posher wireless one.

Still use it a year later and i swear it cost less than £20. It comfy even with specs on sounds good for gaming.

Its pretty amazing for the cost.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=he...BbAQgTYIkwIwAA

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I bought a helium elements 7.1 from scan as a temporary measure before i had time to sort a posher wireless one.

Still use it a year later and i swear it cost less than £20. It comfy even with specs on sounds good for gaming.

Its pretty amazing for the cost.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=he...BbAQgTYIkwIwAA
    I'm not generally a fan of flashy aesthetics for my computer hardware/peripherals, but I know a lot of people are, and I have to say, for that price, that's an impressively nice looking headset.
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    i never buy a "gameing headset" from a gameing company. get a good "normal" headset

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    i never buy a "gameing headset" from a gameing company. get a good "normal" headset
    As a hobbiest music producer, I'm a fan of Sennheiser's high-end stuff, but in my pricerange, I've been pretty severely disappointed with what I've tried from them.

I'd like to get the most bang for my buck for nothing over $100. Preferably cheaper.

Seconded for the HyperX Cloud II.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Add me to this list.

Just bought my first HyperX headset last weekend. My use on it has been very limited, but it's quality seems superbly high for its cost and it has a respectable reputation for being the industry's standard.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    Those are not optimized for extended gaming sessions, improved sound quality is not needed for gaming. Also, "normal" headsets with a decent microphone either are very expensive or have bad sound quality.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Add me to that list as well. I went with the original HyperX Cloud and love it. Best headset I have ever owned.

i recently bought hte cheaper razer USB 7.1 headset, it was around $50 on amazon. I really like it for what it is, though i'm kinda regretting not spending more and buying the headphone jack version instead of usb. the usb is nice since it is really quiet, but it does take a usb port, and i cannot use it in non computer devises (maybe thats good so my wife can't steal it for her music recording haha).

though for $50 i am more than happy. now if only i could get my damn vent working again so i can talk to my guild...bah....

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, HyperX Cloud II is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    From my own experience i would advice people to steer clear from Hyper X cloud II. I had to return mine due fucked up usb dongle which caused annoying clicking, buzzing and echoing sounds. Even the one i got as a replacement was just as faulty. Problem persisted no matter what machine i plugged them in. Eventually i got refunded. They were comfortable to wear but other than that they were a huge let down. There is tons of similar reviews about the usb being crap on those.
    Great to hear a critical review of the HyperX Cloud II as well.

In general both the HyperX Cloud II and the VOID appear to have fantastic reviews overall, thought it definitely seems that the HyperX Cloud II is the more popular of the two headsets, so there are more established reviews of the HyperX Cloud II, but they both seem to place about the same.

I'm not digging the design of the HyperX Cloud II. Another contributing factor is availability. I'd rather pick it up in store and be able to easily return it if it is not up to my standards. My local Best Buy does carry both, but unfortunately only the Red variant for the HyperX Cloud II. It's also a little more expensive and I think I'll like the audio control placement of the VOID more.

That said, the HyperX Cloud II appears to have a better frequency range, and while my primary interest in this headset would be gaming sessions, it would be nice to have the extended range for general use late at night so as not to disturb the rest of the family.

It's a tough call. I think I'm going to have to give them both a rest run, and if I decide I like the HyperX Cloud II more, I'll just have to return the ugly Red one and order the Black variant online.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question for all of you HyperX Cloud II users. Do any of you have any personal experience with a VOID headset for direct comparison?

As far as the VOID goes, i have the wireless VOID RGB 7.1 set. Unlike the guy(s?) above, ive had zero issues with the wireless (i get anout 25-30ft, depending on the number of walls in the way), and the sound quality is extremely good for the price bracket (FM-based wireless definitely has a 'quality cap' below that of wired unless you want to spend LOTS) and theyre very comfortable. The ear cans are kind of an odd shaoe, which is actually great, as i have giant ears, and previous sets would pin the top of my ears, and the VOID does not, which i like a great deal.

They also, of the wireless has issues, work as a wired set (when you have them plugged in with their USB charging cable, theyll transmit over the cable) which is great as a backup.

Deleted
    Those are not optimized for extended gaming sessions, improved sound quality is not needed for gaming. Also, "normal" headsets with a decent microphone either are very expensive or have bad sound quality.
    my experience is that "gaming headsets" are expensive. they are mostly lower quality headsets with a microphone and some gaming optics.
    then they get a cool name like "ultra gaming power bla bla" headset. but in the end its cheap crap.
    get a normal sony or panasonic headset with a microphone.

I bought the hyperx cloud revolver when it released and have zero complaints. Comfortable and no issues / pain after long sessions. Sound is great and voice quality when chatting to friends seems nice and clear.

Deleted
    I recommend that you DON'T buy Turtlebeach. I may have been unlucky but I've bought 2 Turtle headsets (around 100€) and they were horrible, from sound and mic quality to poor wire material. Now I have some 40€ no-name company headset and it is so much better. As axiom stated, I would go too with a normal headset. They do have good quality still.

I recently purchased Astro A40's and absolutely love them. I would recommend them, though the price is a little higher than others.

From anything I've ever read online, the HyperX Cloud's are great quality for the price.