Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No they're not but we weren't enslaving and lynching anyone else really, either.
    I hope you're joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    African-americans are not the only ones who have been treated poorly in the US. I don't know why people obsess over them.
    Look, we only have enough white guilt to cover one minority at a time. If you start talking about the systematic destruction of the Native American tribes or the thousands of Chinese laborers who were worked to death building railroads or basic discrimination against those blasphemous Catholics worshiping their king in the pointy had in Rome our quota is already full.

I was thinking it is obvious enough I don't have to put "sarcasm", but then I remembered experience on these forums has taught me otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's 2016. Everything is offensive, because people know they can throw a fit and get attention for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I've always thought that to be really silly way to describe black people. What if he/she is neither African, nor American? Then what? Black for the convenience I'd say ^^
    Also not all Africans are black. Even before European colonization brought whites over, I don't think Egyptians are considered black.

As for "colored," imo if the new thing is to say "of color," then "colored" should probably be downgraded to "not preferable" from "offensive."

I wouldn't say offensive, more awkward sounding. Like its something I expect a Yosemite Sam type character to say.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    im not a complete pansy so no
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It's 2016. Everything is offensive, because people know they can throw a fit and get attention for it.
    In a plot twist, I actually find this offensive. "I demand everything be presented in a way that is custom-tailored to me, and will become upset should anything ruffle my feathers in the slightest! To the Twitter-mobile!"

Not as much, however, as people getting offended "on behalf of others".
    "I have decided that other people will be upset about this."
    We're not, fuck off.

In unrelated news, please keep your current forum avatar.

I hope you're joking.
    Who else were we enslaving and lynching (due to race)?

We put Asian Americans in interment camps and we have historically treated Native Americans very poorly, and Jewish people (people forget about this as it seems so foreign to us now). But that is not the same thing as actually enslaving, and lynching, and making them use separate bathrooms and being banned from shops/restaurants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Look, we only have enough white guilt to cover one minority at a time. If you start talking about the systematic destruction of the Native American tribes or the thousands of Chinese laborers who were worked to death building railroads or basic discrimination against those blasphemous Catholics worshiping their king in the pointy had in Rome our quota is already full.
    You forgot to mention the $0.50/hr migrant farm worker, Hispanic Americans as a low-wage workforce in service and hospitality positions and modern day Islamophobia. In all fairness though, we treat white people poorly too...we fill our armed service forces with poor white Southerners to fight our wars for us, since they can't afford college tuition without enlisting.

We put Asian Americans in interment camps and we have historically treated Native Americans very poorly, and Jewish people (people forget about this as it seems so foreign to us now). But that is not the same thing as actually enslaving, and lynching, and making them use separate bathrooms and being banned from shops/restaurants.
    Sure, internment camps are lower on the scale of evil than slavery. I'd put attempted genocide higher though which is basically what we did to the native americans in the name of taking their land, and lets not forget the forced sterilization that was even within the last 50 years. Separate bathrooms versus kicking them off to separate and far crappier lands while constantly shrinking down the size. I can't really see how separate bathrooms and other areas is significantly worse. At least the issues facing black communities are getting attention recently. Everything related to native americans is still being ignored or swept under the rug.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot to mention the $0.50/hr migrant farm worker, Hispanic Americans as a low-wage workforce in service and hospitality positions and modern day Islamophobia. In all fairness though, we treat white people poorly too...we fill our armed service forces with poor white Southerners to fight our wars for us, since they can't afford college tuition without enlisting.

We put white Germans in camps in America too

We shot tank rounds into a religious compound full of white men and children killing them. So what's your point?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it offensive.

...that you spelt it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    We put white Germans in camps in America too

We shot tank rounds into a religious compound full of white men and children killing them. So what's your point?
    My point is what was what I said, not sure why you're uncomfortable with the fact that we enslaved an entire race of people that were then systematically lynched due to their race during the civil rights era.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Sure, internment camps are lower on the scale of evil than slavery. I'd put attempted genocide higher though which is basically what we did to the native americans in the name of taking their land, and lets not forget the forced sterilization that was even within the last 50 years. Separate bathrooms versus kicking them off to separate and far crappier lands while constantly shrinking down the size. I can't really see how separate bathrooms and other areas is significantly worse. At least the issues facing black communities are getting attention recently. Everything related to native americans is still being ignored or swept under the rug.
    Internment camps were pretty bad, I am not trying to downplay the significance of that. Separate bathrooms, restaurants, water fountains etc just reinforced the notion at the time that black people weren't even human (some people actually believed that they were a different species back then) and were no better than animals. And therefore weren't good enough for the whites only fountains, restaurants etc.

Note that the separate restaurants/etc thing meant lack of access to a lot of goods and services, African Americans often paid more for poorer quality items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i use the term darkies instead of coloureds
    Are you Alf Garnett?

It's not offensive but the context you used it in was dumb. Would you introduce her as your black girlfriend? Or Asian if she was Asian? Most people say beautiful or smart or something not retarded.

African-americans are not the only ones who have been treated poorly in the US. I don't know why people obsess over them.
    The Irish-Americans were treated worse than the blacks were.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Okay no we didn't. There is no way you can objectively claim that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    No they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Also does anyone want to mention that technically it is possible to be African-American and white? I feel like now is a good time to bring that up.
    Growing up, one of my favorite tennis players was Amanda Coetzer, white broad out of South Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Sorry but if you're not the target of some form of discrimination whether it be racial, gender, religious or other you don't get to decide whether the word is offensive or not. If black people don't like being called coloreds because it hearkens back to a time in a American history when they were forced to drink from different water fountains and go to different schools then just don't fucking use it. If you're neighbors kid is wheel chair bound you wouldn't walk out in the morning and ask him how his crippled son is doing today because its disrespectful. You may not find a word like crippled offensive, but for someone who has had to deal with social stigma and actual repercussions that the word is associated with is a different story. It has nothing to do with liberal sensibilities it has to do with treating other people how you yourself desire to be treated. If a group of people don't like being referred to by a term then don't. It's a pretty simple fucking concept. Being this is an MMO forum I'm sure their are a lot of people who would be less than happy if strangers referred to them as fatty, faggot, sissy, neck-beard, sister fucker, redneck etc etc. Doesn't matter if you yourself find it offensve, when the people who you are directing at do.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    Sorry but if you're not the target of some form of discrimination whether it be racial, gender, religious or other you don't get to decide whether the word is offensive or not. If black people don't like being called coloreds because it hearkens back to a time in a American history when they were forced to drink from different water fountains and go to different schools then just don't fucking use it. If you're neighbors kid is wheel chair bound you wouldn't walk out in the morning and ask him how his crippled son is doing today because its disrespectful. You may not find a word like crippled offensive, but for someone who has had to deal with social stigma and actual repercussions that the word is associated with is a different story. It has nothing to do with liberal sensibilities it has to do with treating other people how you yourself desire to be treated. If a group of people don't like being referred to by a term then don't. It's a pretty simple fucking concept. Being this is an MMO forum I'm sure their are a lot of people who would be less than happy if strangers referred to them as fatty, faggot, sissy, neck-beard, sister fucker, redneck etc etc. Doesn't matter if you yourself find it offensve, when the people who you are directing at do.
    So you're saying that because of their race/gender/religious/other they are restricted from determining what is offensive?