Poll: Which expansion had the best leveling experience overall?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Which expansion had the best leveling experience?

Hey guys,

In the wait for legion I started to do all the old quests for the loremaster achievement. Being for so long at max level I completely forgot how fun those quests were and how much cool lore they have. So what you guys think, which expansion had the best leveling experience? Considering lore and how fun the quests were.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

I'd say in this order:
    Legion > WoD > MoP > Wrath > Cata > TBC.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    So far? WoD. If anything got consistently better, it was the leveling experience. So I have high hopes for Legion.

I think it has steadily gone better.

Warlords was the best because there were very little tedious quests. But story wise i liked the mop ones better

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how you look at it.
    If you ask me based on my personal preference I would of said Vanilla/The Burning Crusade as you still got to see the older content. You still needed a full Group to do the troll questline in The Hinterlands. In Wrath we started to see XP buffs from Heirloom gear and RAF which was more plentiful in later Expansions.

Is the poll for how they are to level through currently or at the time of the expansions? Because currently I like the Cata revamp of old vanilla the best, but through their respective expansions I guess I'd say Warlords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    So far? WoD. If anything got consistently better, it was the leveling experience. So I have high hopes for Legion.
    Yeah, but my favorite is definitely MoP. The lore was just so cool and fresh.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

A toss up between Vanilla and TBC. Finding quests was part of the adventure, and they were generally difficult at the time.

Traveling all over was part of the norm as well, since it was an RPG afterall, and exploring is what RPG'ers do. Open world Heroic quests mixed in added nice challenge, in a once-social environment. All this lended to a feeling of accomplishment, even if very little got done.

The modern quest-helper cheapens the experience, IMO, along with everything else feeling watered down greatly.

MoP. I think WoD was a step backwards. Having to backtrack to the garrison over and over again sucked

15+ Year Old Account
    "Vanilla best levelling experience."

6 months of casual play to max level? Running out of level-appropriate quests so you have to grind mobs to ding? Getting sent on useless breadcrumb quests which end leave you having to travel all the way back again?

Hahahaha, no.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    MoP had the best/most refreshing world feel in my opinion. However, WoD did introduce some great story telling tools as well, especially the start of the WoD campaign was pretty good!

It doesn't matter what this poll result ultimately shows, because Classic had the best leveling experience objectively.

Eastern Kingdoms AND Kalimdor, the most dungeons ever, a talent tree with 50 points to earn and distribute, real weather and day/night cycles, true exploration, elite quests, and singular server communities where you made long-term friends and acquaintances throughout the entire leveling process.

Nothing will ever surpass Classic, end of discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    legion > mop/wod > cata > wotlk > tbc > vanilla

vanilla was downright terrible
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    TBC > Wrath > Vanilla > Cata > WoD > MoP

I voted for legion(in beta). I say without any ego that the broken isles is just a step above anything we have previously experienced. My runner-ups were Wrath & MoP. I think I am a bit nostalgic for wrath, I think it was the best of the old fashion questing hubs. While mop felt like a new refined experience.

I didn't play the beta so i would say WoD has the best.

You have amazing stories to follow or if you already see everything and want to go as fast as possible you have that option as well.
    I didn't play vanilla so the Worst would be Wotlk
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

I really enjoyed WOTLK's leveling experience. You take that boat to Borean Tundra and immediately see a town getting overwhelmed by Scourge. Then you move onto Dragonblight, but you also had areas like Storm Peaks and Grizzly Hills which were different. Then of course it ended with Icecrown where you really went toe to toe with the big boys of the Scourge.

7+ Year Old Account
    legion.
    definitely legion.

Formerly known as Arafal

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I can agree that vanilla leveling was grindy, I'd say it definitely had it's bonuses that we no longer get these days. Even early TBC had a lot of the nice aspects that I love and remember about leveling. Ever since they made leveling incredibly easy and gotten rid of any social aspect regarding it, it's now just a chore rather than an adventure. I remember when hitting max level was a mile stone in itself and the leveling required you to interact with others for a lot of quests and even when you wanted to do a dungeon you had to actually interact with people to form that group and complete the instance.

They're slowly making quests themselves more entertaining with the newer expansions on a solo standpoint as you're not just killing stuff for an objective as much, but the social interaction and self accomplishment part of it is completely gone. It would be nice to get a little bit of what we lost while keeping what we have now in regards to the type of quests and zones available. Every quest zone has been pretty entertaining the first time through though.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Yea have to agree that one thing Blizzard constantly improves on is the leveling experience so Legion then backwards would be right. That being said however due to my own nostalgia, I remember how insanely fun TBC was as the first expansion and the first time the leveling experience was actually full of quests coming off the heals of terrible leveling vanilla so TBC holds a spot above the rest for me. Plus if you were on a pvp server you got thrown right in the fire with HFP and it pretty much carried through the rest of the world. And last but not least original nagarand is still the best zone of the entire game hands down.