Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No they weren't.
    Yes they were.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Okay no we didn't. There is no way you can objectively claim that.
    Sure I can. Google "irish american slavery".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Yes they were.

- - - Updated - - -

It was indentured servitude, which is not slavery and it did not happen to every Irish person, it happened to mainly the poor who fell foul of the law in Britain - it also happened to non-Irish Brits as well.

Plus the Irish were never lynched in the USA in anything like the numbers that black people were, if at all, nor were they excluded from participation in society to the extent of black people.

To make the claim the the Irish in the USA had it as bad as blacks is preposterous, to say they had it worse is akin to believing in leprechauns.

I did this. The first 5 results were:
    1 - The Irish Slave Trade: The Forgotten "White" Slaves
    2 - How the Myth of "Irish Slaves" Became a Favorite Meme of Racists
    3 - Let's Quash the Myth That the Irish Were Ever American Slaves
    4 - Slavery Myths: Seven Lies, Half-Truths, and Irrelevancies People Trot Out
    5 - How Accurate is the Proclamation that Irish Slavery in America was as Prolific as African Slavery?

Not a ringing endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I did this. The first 5 results were:
    1 - The Irish Slave Trade: The Forgotten "White" Slaves
    2 - How the Myth of "Irish Slaves" Became a Favorite Meme of Racists
    3 - Let's Quash the Myth That the Irish Were Ever American Slaves
    4 - Slavery Myths: Seven Lies, Half-Truths, and Irrelevancies People Trot Out
    5 - How Accurate is the Proclamation that Irish Slavery in America was as Prolific as African Slavery?

Not a ringing endorsement.
    And there's also pictures to back it up but you're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe. Still true.

- - - Updated - - -

It was indentured servitude, which is not slavery and it did not happen to every Irish person, it happened to mainly the poor who fell foul of the law in Britain - it also happened to non-Irish Brits as well.

Plus the Irish were never lynched in the USA in anything like the numbers that black people were, if at all, nor were they excluded from participation in society to the extent of black people.

To make the claim the the Irish in the USA had it as bad as blacks is preposterous, to say they had it worse is akin to believing in leprechauns.
    I disagree. Denying this happened is as bad as whitewashing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there's also pictures to back it up but you're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe. Still true.
    It is not true.

The Irish had rights as people even if they were indentured servants - it was basically a form of criminal punishment, which usually had a limited term - whereas blacks were slaves, which made them property and was hereditary.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. Denying this happened is as bad as whitewashing.
    Denying what happened? The Irish were treated appallingly, claiming they were treated worse than they actually were is historical revisionism.

You can disagree all you want, but your version of history is all about mythologising the Emerald Isle and getting misty eyed at Danny Boy.

It is not true.

The Irish had rights as people even if they were indentured servants - it was basically a form of criminal punishment, which usually had a limited term - whereas blacks were slaves, which made them property and was hereditary.

- - - Updated - - -

Denying what happened? The Irish were treated appallingly, claiming they were treated worse than they actually were is historical revisionism.

You can disagree all you want, but your version of history is all about mythologising the Emerald Isle and getting misty eyed at Danny Boy.
    You can deny the history and pictures all you want. That's on you to wash away history in denial.
    Your opinion doesn't effect my freedom so it's w/e you want to deny. There's enough evidence to show it happened and as far as I know there weren't any "free" Irish folks who migrated here. Only slaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can deny the history and pictures all you want. That's on you to wash away history in denial.
    Your opinion doesn't effect my freedom so it's w/e you want to deny. There's enough evidence to show it happened and as far as I know there weren't any "free" Irish folks who migrated here. Only slaves.
    There were few Irish with the status of slave, if any, so explain exactly how so many in the US claim to have Irish heritage if none of them ever went there.

Britain sold Irish indentured servants - these are not the same as slaves, they had a much higher status, for a start they were regarded as human.

And Scots were sold in the same way.

The Welsh as well.

And the English.

Damn those British and the way they treated the English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh! Oh...wait.

The authorities treated everyone harshly, the poor bore the brunt of it, that was just the way life was then.

However black people were property, they did not have the luxury of freedom after a set period, to compare indentured servitude to slavery is dubious, to claim the Irish had it worse is beyond retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not on it's own, but it is more offensive than coloured... U make it so much better... U is the the best...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Hey, don't get mad at me that I did exactly what you asked and the bulk of what came back didn't say what you wanted it to say.

Second, I didn't say I believe anything, I simply provided the results of doing what you told me to do and stated they didn't appear to support your claim. That's all.

Third, old historical photos can often be used to show whatever you want to show, sourcing is difficult and taking them at face value is risky. You often end up with the same picture in two places with different captions claiming it is from two different places and two different things.

Last, I stand by my previous statement. Irish families were not being torn apart and sold at auction. Irish were not being lynched well into the 1900s. In the segregated south, where the bulk of slavery in America existed, there were not White, Colored, and Irish drinking fountains. Were the Irish discriminated against? Absolutely. Were they cast into bondage on such a scale that the economy of an entire section of the country was so tied up in their life in chains that they were willing to break away from the US and fight a years-long war to maintain their right to keep millions of Irish as property working the fields and fueling their industry? No.

There's enough evidence to show it happened and as far as I know there weren't any "free" Irish folks who migrated here. Only slaves.
    So the widely known and studied Great Famine of 1845-52 and subsequent migration of hundreds of thousands if Irish to the New World is a complete fabrication?
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2016-08-23 at 08:26 PM.

It depends on who utters it, according to double standards.

I mean, my grandma says colored so it has to be racist. No filter on that woman.

15+ Year Old Account
    It feels like every word used for people with dark skin is eventually considered racist by some people.

We're bound to run out of descriptive words at some point.

I got yelled at here a year ago or something for using the word "coloured."

My defense is if it's good enough for the NAACP to keep using it, it's still good everywhere else.

I know I'd rather be called "coloured" than "black." Most aren't even black, it's brown at best.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It feels like every word used for people with dark skin is eventually considered racist by some people.

We're bound to run out of descriptive words at some point.
    What happens is they recycle terms previously regarded as offensive, so 'coloured' will become the term of choice and 'black' the one regarded as offensive.

We have got to the point where, in America, 'person of colour' is not offensive but 'coloured person' is, even though they are just two ways of saying the exact same thing in English.

What happens is they recycle terms previously regarded as offensive, so 'coloured' will become the term of choice and 'black' the one regarded as offensive.

We have got to the point where, in America, 'person of colour' is not offensive but 'coloured person' is, even though they are just two ways of saying the exact same thing in English.
    I vote we move to ice cream flavors. Whites can be vanilla, blacks can be chocolate, Hispanics can be caramel, Asians can obviously be mint chocolate chip, etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote we move to ice cream flavors. Whites can be vanilla, blacks can be chocolate, Hispanics can be caramel, Asians can obviously be mint chocolate chip, etc etc
    I want to be pistachio, so I will probably need to catch some awful disease.

Depends on the context in which it is used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Irish families were not being torn apart and sold at auction. Irish were not being lynched well into the 1900s.
    The British wished this was the case...

https://youtu.be/iYH5h-5Dz40
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The British wished this was the case...

https://youtu.be/iYH5h-5Dz40
    That's a whole different issue, though relevant in that the anti-Irish sentiment was transplanted to the states and the Irish did face a lot of discrimination. People forget how much hostility there used to be between Protestants and Catholics, and I find that people younger than my generation in the US haven't even heard of The Troubles.

It is telling that of the 43 people who have been president in the US only 1 has been Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Just outdated.

"African-American" is a bit...much. So I just use "black."

If someone thinks that's questionable I just rebut, "I'm black and proud of it. Should I not be?"
    i don't like the term african-american either. blacks have been in this country just as long as whites have, we're all americans. the only way you'd be an african-american to me, is if you're an immigrant from africa, and that could mean you're white or black.

as for colored, idk. i wouldn't say it, i just say black if i even acknowledge their race in any way.