Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Only Animals as Leaders here, but yeah, djent was a mistake.

Deleted
    Perhaps I should try out Meshuggah a little bit more. It's a bit of hit and miss, some tracks I like, and others I totally dislike.

I like these distorted, heavy sounding guitars. Whenever I think of Meshuggah, I think of Sybreed (First album). Different type of style, but still somewhat close to eachother, atleast in my opinion.

Or maybe even a little bit more unknown band:

I suppose I'm more of a MDM/Industrial type of guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    The new Sabaton album really grew on me after couple of listens. It's really amazing although I think some of the tracks are just in a silly order. What if it had started with Blood of Bannockburn as opener? The "problem" is the spoken track and The Last Battalion which kind of split the album in half and it doesn't help at all that the first two tracks sound somewhat similar, IMO.

E: a video link was there, yea no. Fan videos went over the top crazy..
    Don't think there's many Sabaton fans among the regular posters. I gave the album a listen, and mind you I am not much of a Sabaton fan, and I find the album incredibly repetitive but I'll admit it has some catchy songs. It reminds me a lot of Hammerfall and I guess that type of easy listening power/heavy metal is what they are going for. I can see myself listening to this album a bit more as I do enjoy power/heavy metal but I have the same issue with Sabaton as I have with Hammerfall. Oddly enough I don't have this issue with Gloryhammer which is just about as cheesy, maybe because I am partial to Christopher Bowes (I find Alestorm oddly enough awesome).
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-08-23 at 06:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    The first two Sybreed albums were great. An underappreciated band if you ask me. I had to find out that they broke up on the night that I was going to see them live for the first time. Some of their members are working on a project right now though and from what they've shown so far it sounds a lot like Sybreed. That being said, Sybreed is probably the only industrial metal band I ever really liked.

Koloss, ObZen and Nothing are really good albums, especially Koloss. I think that one is Meshuggah's best. I don't really care about most of their early stuff. Chaosphere and Catch 33 are quite solid too.
    Sucks man. Did they still finish their shows after the break-up?

I'll be sure to check out some Meshuggah songs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Don't think there's many Sabaton fans among the regular posters. I gave the album a listen, and mind you I am not much of a Sabaton fan, and I find the album incredibly repetitive but I'll admit it has some catchy songs. It reminds me a lot of Hammerfall and I guess that type of easy listening power/heavy metal is what they are going for. I can see myself listening to this album a bit more as I do enjoy power/heavy metal but I have the same issue with Sabaton as I have with Hammerfall. Oddly enough I don't have this issue with Gloryhammer which is just about as cheesy, maybe because I am partial to Christopher Bowes (I find Alestorm oddly enough awesome).
    I never really liked Sabaton, maybe a track or two. But then it's not my genre of music. It's the clean/power vocals that put me off. Guess it's not for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think there's many Sabaton fans among the regular posters
    I think you might be overly generous by saying 'not many'.

Sabaton is a blight upon the metal landscapes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, not among the regulars, I guess, but I was still surprised by how many people came in here to talk about it.
    Many of my friends like Sabaton as well. It is pretty easy listening metal. One thing I found rather amusing is that the best track on that new Sabaton album was a Judas Priest cover.

I don't really enjoy dishing bands, or metal sub genres, I dislike.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really enjoy dishing bands, or metal sub genres, I dislike.
    That's why I generally don't bother to comment whenever some new folk posts Sabaton or something (nearly) equally cringe-worthy. People are entitled to listen to their own prefered bands, no matter how poor their taste might be. For all I care, people listen to what's her face... the Kardassian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    That's why I generally don't bother to comment whenever some new folk posts Sabaton or something (nearly) equally cringe-worthy. People are entitled to listen to their own prefered bands, no matter how poor their taste might be. For all I care, people listen to what's her face... the Kardassian.
    Yeah that is a pretty good attitude.

I generally like to give stuff a chance but there are bands/genres that I really dislike and just don't bother with, nor comment on like death metal for example. However, I quite like heavy/power metal so I decided to give Sabaton a fair chance, and there's plenty of bands I like that most people here will consider trash as well, like Powerwolf and Alestorm for instance, but Sabaton really bore me to tears, in the same way Hammerfall does. Some songs I consider to be okay but most is just meh at best in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Powerwolf is a second rate Sabaton, for what it's worth. I just don't despise them as much. Oh well, last time I expanded on my dislike for Sabaton both you and Goriq were around, so little point in doing so again.

10+ Year Old Account

The new Subrosa will surely end up in many top 10s this year.

- - - Updated - - -

More great doom, new 40 Watt Sun track.

- - - Updated - - -

New Ulcerate track as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Alcest too

More new Meshuggah in the background of the video.
    Should be fucking amazing, lately been on a huge Meshuggah and Suffocation kick. Both those bands really know how to bring it heavy.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was pretty disappointed in the new Ulcerate. Which is a shame, because I really like them and will always have a soft spot for them after sharing the stage with them. It's just that the fucking mix is god awful. I don't need Jamie's snare drowning out every single goddamn thing in that track.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, we did. Ulcerate + Svart Crown, with us opening up on the evening.

Not too interested in the new Suffocation stuff tbh. I enjoyed Mike Smith's drumming style way more and seeing how I'll never see them with Frank live anyway, I don't really give a fuck about their live stuff either.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue I have with Sabaton is that ever since Primo Victoria they've just been incredibly successful at writing the same song over and over.

(With the exception of Carolus Rex which is an awesome album but also their only real attempt at doing something different, which is why its so great imo.)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Yeah that is a pretty good attitude.

I generally like to give stuff a chance but there are bands/genres that I really dislike and just don't bother with, nor comment on like death metal for example. However, I quite like heavy/power metal so I decided to give Sabaton a fair chance, and there's plenty of bands I like that most people here will consider trash as well, like Powerwolf and Alestorm for instance, but Sabaton really bore me to tears, in the same way Hammerfall does. Some songs I consider to be okay but most is just meh at best in my opinion.
    What do you think of Crimson Shadows then? It's one of the very few power/melodic death bands I listen to and I quite like them. Not a lot of cleans either, and those that are there I find to be pretty good and powerful.

Oh, and Battlesoul too. Although to me it's more melodic death with some power elements. Still waiting for a new album if there's ever another one coming. Perhaps some other tracks come closer to power than this particular one.

It's just not my genre of choice Pure power bands, like Sabaton that is.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2016-08-23 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    What do you think of Crimson Shadows then? It's one of the very few power/melodic death bands I listen to and I quite like them. Not a lot of cleans either, and those that are there I find to be pretty good and powerful.
    And they're good Canadian boys too!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool. Did you only open for them on their dutch dates? If not I might've missed a chance to see you live, lol.
    Only in our home town. We know the booker and got him involved to sort out our CD release.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Yea, we did. Ulcerate + Svart Crown, with us opening up on the evening.

Not too interested in the new Suffocation stuff tbh. I enjoyed Mike Smith's drumming style way more and seeing how I'll never see them with Frank live anyway, I don't really give a fuck about their live stuff either.
    Yeah, Suffocation without Frank Mullen isn't going to be the same, and there's no real bands that I hear that are carrying their weight either. Oh well, can always loop Effigy and Despise the Sun and soak it up.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The issue I have with Sabaton is that ever since Primo Victoria they've just been incredibly successful at writing the same song over and over.

(With the exception of Carolus Rex which is an awesome album but also their only real attempt at doing something different, which is why its so great imo.)
    I must admit I have never really listened to the other Sabaton albums. I have heard it when friends played it but that is it. I will give Carolus Rex a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus

Oh, and Battlesoul too. Although to me it's more melodic death with some power elements. Still waiting for a new album if there's ever another one coming. Perhaps some other tracks come closer to power than this particular one.
    I think both of those bands are pretty decent but not really the traditional type of power/heavy metal I normally listen to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The new Subrosa will surely end up in many top 10s this year.
    This was some great stuff!

10+ Year Old Account

Cavernous black metal with a tint of Deathspell Omega. Pretty gloriously occult album overall, recommended.