Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Regarding high end raiding, Serenity uses TeamSpeak. At the end of the day the differences are minuscule on the core technology of various solutions and what you actually need is reliability. The best way to get reliability is to ensure that you use a server that will never or almost never go down. It's very doubtful there would be a difference of merit if the same server run Mumble.

I've played with Discord now and I am highly impressed. Thank you for the thread and the recommendations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by porgig View Post

If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Try Dolby Axon. Beats all of the VOIPs I've used to date for various reasons (Vent, Curse, TS, RS, Mumble, Skype) though I've not tried Discord since I don't need the bells & whistles.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We use discord -really impressed

Not as far as I know, I hope not simply because I don't want to learn a new program
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    All I heard from Discord is, it's fine for small groups like 5 man content and social talking, but when it comes to raid, it doesn't work too well and start lagging.

Guess I'll know soon since my alt run plans to use it over Mumble.

But I did use Discord as a global guild chat and it pretty much completely removed the need for forums or facebook groups. For that it's awesome.
    I think that is the biggest thing about bringing in a Guild Discord. It's great for a Global Chatroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Change My Name View Post
    I think that is the biggest thing about bringing in a Guild Discord. It's great for a Global Chatroom.
    This is why I've migrated our guild to Discord. It's free and gives us some global guild chatrooms attached to it, where we can share plans and tactics and keep in touch for AFKs and holidays. We're basically using it instead of a guild forum, but it has voice attached to it.

We have had a couple of problems with the sound for some people though, sometimes people join and can't hear each other. When it works, the quality is a lot better than we've had on vent or mumble though.

Will see how the reliability is when we start playing more regularly into Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by I Change My Name View Post
    This is a Function in TeamSpeak3. Whispering not being /w but voice chat between different people. For example your Voice Activation Button could be Space... but pressing Ctrl+Space would activate a private message to all Officers.

Think of it being Chat within a Chat.
    @I Change My Name, Can you link me a guide that shows exactly how to set that up in TS3? I remember i had it back in ventrilo in TBC, but i simply cannot get it to work in TS
    Youtube channel: Youtube channel
    Warcraftmovies.com channel: Warcraftmovies channel

Discord is great. I'm quite in shock how people still use Horrible CPU Hog (Skype) or Horrible UI/Latency Issues (Vent). I still do like Mumble, and Teamspeak I never gave a fair chance, but I'm really glad Discord is a thing. It's perfect and you can even get those annoying pugs to just go to a website instead of having to download an entirely new program!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    did i say use skype voice. read what i said. Skype group text chat. It or discord are great for keeping in touch out of game when your not on wow and both are usable on mobile.
    Gotta love that CPU-hogging text chat though. Discord uses less resources for both Voice+Text combined. Don't even have that garbage program on my computer anymore.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I keep an active vent server open for myself and 6 friends. We use vent to chat while our raid uses Mumble.

Honestly, I prefer vent. The UI is really bad, granted, but you know what, so is mumble. Dat server finder, lol. I'll have to try discord.

Anyway, the reason I use vent in addition to mumble is because I want my conversations with my friends during the raid to be private. Also, bandwidth is a big concern for me, and vent uses very little/no discernible bandwidth.

If your new fancy IIRC text chat programs uses my bandwidth in the name of arbitrary "improvement", then it actually kills the program for me.

PS: I'm one who keeps the voip minimized and in the background. The only interface I have with it is when I press to talk and hear the wav file.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2016-08-23 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Oh right, like seperate key bind to talk to specific people. That's kinda toxic though tbh.
    It actually makes communication a bit easier. Like in one guild I was in the tanks used it often to talk to each other and had it set to deafen everyone else so they could hear each other, made it nice.

OT: Guild swapped to discord from Mumble around mid HFC, haven't looked back.

My favorite part of discord is that you can run it as a webapp and don't have to DL anything, it's a perfect PUG tool imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I keep an active vent server open for myself and 6 friends. We use vent to chat while our raid uses Mumble.

Honestly, I prefer vent. The UI is really bad, granted, but you know what, so is mumble. Dat server finder, lol. I'll have to try discord.

Anyway, the reason I use vent in addition to mumble is because I want my conversations with my friends during the raid to be private. Also, bandwidth is a big concern for me, and vent uses very little/no discernible bandwidth.

If your new fancy IIRC text chat programs uses my bandwidth in the name of arbitrary "improvement", then it actually kills the program for me.

PS: I'm one who keeps the voip minimized and in the background. The only interface I have with it is when I press to talk and hear the wav file.
    Text is such a small use of bandwidth alongside the voice channels that it's pretty much negligible.

Mumble and Discord use the Opus codec which both provide better quality for the same bitrate than Speex, which is what Ventrilo is typically configured for. In addition you can configure the bitrate of Mumble and Discord channels.

Discord's ui is pretty slick and Mumble has a new ui in the 1.3 version as well as support for skins.

Also you and your friends can still talk privately in the same guild Mumble server, just create a Whisper shortcut and choose a list of people to broadcast to on a separate keybind. Nobody else can hear you except the people on that list.

Deleted
    Yeah, my guild changed during Archimonde Farm. Pretty cool to have all the resources we want to share on different text channels, pinned messages, the chat looks awesome...

Never going back to Teamspeak.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Would you mind explaining why discord is not good for large groups? My guild has been using it with 25-30 ppl in channel with no issues what so ever so I am curious as to what you are basing this off.
    We tried using it as our 'voice comm' program, yet with 30 people on the channel it got choppy, and the overall sound quality just wasn't comparable to teamspeak\ventrilo. Maybe it was a bad experience, or the servers were having issues, i don't know, but we all happily and quickly returned to teamspeak.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Discord is great. I'm quite in shock how people still use Horrible CPU Hog (Skype) or Horrible UI/Latency Issues (Vent). I still do like Mumble, and Teamspeak I never gave a fair chance, but I'm really glad Discord is a thing. It's perfect and you can even get those annoying pugs to just go to a website instead of having to download an entirely new program!

Gotta love that CPU-hogging text chat though. Discord uses less resources for both Voice+Text combined. Don't even have that garbage program on my computer anymore.
    We are in the process of switching over but 150ish people it takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naminater View Post
    @I Change My Name, Can you link me a guide that shows exactly how to set that up in TS3? I remember i had it back in ventrilo in TBC, but i simply cannot get it to work in TS
    Love to! But i don't have one. the easy way? Grant Officer Server admin and all raiders normal. job done!

Using discord from the start. Is great to pair desktop based chat with @Name based messaging type things, as well as having voice. Great for discussions outside of raid

I never understood the dislike for vent. We've used it since BC yea some server problems here and there sure but it does the job fine. I used mumble a couple times joining pug runs I wasn't impressed with it. Curse is OK for what it is. Never even heard of discord. To each their own.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    I never understood the dislike for vent. We've used it since BC yea some server problems here and there sure but it does the job fine. I used mumble a couple times joining pug runs I wasn't impressed with it. Curse is OK for what it is. Never even heard of discord. To each their own.
    I think the issue a lot of people have with Ventrilo is that it doesn't normalize voice settings (by default, I know you can normalize it under settings) like pretty much all other voice comm programs. The Speex codec is somewhat outdated, too. It's not a bad program, it definitely gets the job done... but when comparing the customization options of a lot of other voice comm programs, Ventrilo is woefully outmatched. It's also one of the most light-weight programs so it's very potato-PC-friendly.

The reason my guild flipped to Discord was the INSTANT voice transmission. Ventrilo had a slight delay between peoples voices of when they would talk and it would be transmitted but Teamspeak solved that SLIGHTLY.... Discord got rid of it instantly. Discord is also absolutely amazing for posting videos you want people to watch and stuff as itll play THROUGH the client itself. Also if you do pug people all you have to do is give them a quickjoin link and itll throw them in the channel through the website which they can only talk through if they have it as their main window opened... which is fine honestly as long as they can hear direction... But any other chat program you have to go through a huge hassle everytime getting new people into it. Discord has done nothing but be absolutely amazing change for our guild and one of the other features not many talk about is the fact you can change your server location ANYTIME you want INSTANTLY! Like ok east coast having issues with storms and outages....boom westcoast. That easy... but yeah the biggest thing had to be the instant voice transmission with no delay of output from the other software.