Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Age Gap Relationships.

Came across a documentary on Youtube regarding age gap relationships and thought it was an interesting topic.

What's your opinion regarding age gap relationships? Do you think age gaps matter in dating? What's the largest age gap you've had between yourself and a romantic partner?

An acquaintance of mine is dating a woman who is approximately half his age, they seem to have a very normal relationship. Although he has commented to me that the two of them occasionally get awkward questions/commentary from strangers (or they assume that his girlfriend is his niece or daughter).

Deleted
    it is unusual so naturally people will have unusual reactions to it.

Don't really have a strong opinion about it, but would definitely feel weird if the gap is too wide.
    Especially if its the woman that is much older than the man, since its so comman that the man is usually the older one in a relationship.

I'd probably assume myself that it was a father/daughter or mom/son etc that was out shopping if I met any such couple in the city.

Doesn't bother me. I've "dated" women much younger and older than me, so this doesn't even really make me bat an eye.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What's your opinion regarding age gap relationships? Do you think age gaps matter in dating? What's the largest age gap you've had between yourself and a romantic partner?
    I think they are fine. Or, more accurately, I think that if the people involved are happy that it doesn't really matter what I or anyone thinks about them.

The biggest age gap I have ever had in a relationship was ten years. At the moment that's probably around my maximum acceptable difference, though that's capped more by my current age than anything else. Still, for a long-term relationship I wouldn't want a gap so large that she is still young once I am elderly, as I don't think that would be fair on her/that I could feel comfortable with it... (easy to say that now though)

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Came across a documentary on Youtube regarding age gap relationships and thought it was an interesting topic.

An acquaintance of mine is dating a woman who is approximately half his age, they seem to have a very normal relationship. Although he has commented to me that the two of them occasionally get awkward questions/commentary from strangers (or they assume that his girlfriend is his niece or daughter).
    there is nothing sstrange about young poor people whoring themselves for money/roof over their head - it has happened since begining of time that young poor people who have no real life skills seeked financial help/stability in exchange for sex /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is nothing sstrange about young poor people whoring themselves for money/roof over their head - it has happened since begining of time that young poor people who have no real life skills seeked financial help/stability in exchange for sex /shrug
    That is always what I'm thinking when I see couples like this.

Deleted
    old man young woman is ok

young man old woman is disgusting

Deleted
    No issues either way, it's just adults having relationships

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't experienced 20+ years relationships, but I was 28 when my gf was 17, and then last year I had a 10 year older gf (she was 41, I was 31). Probably not going to stop there, I was always attracted to larger age gap, regardless if she's younger or older.
    Pretty much all young girls who date much older guys have daddy issues.

I feel like it'd be prudent for me to date someone younger than me, so we'd look more similar in age, but so far I've always dated people older.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Yes, there's some of that dynamic in these videos, where the younger person is being taken care of in some sense by the older person in the relationship. I don't know if that's necessarily what happens in every relationship like this, perhaps it is more commonplace in the relationships with very large age gaps (40+ years).

It can work, and it can't work. I think I dated someone who was 10,000 years older than me. She was quite exquisite at fellatio.
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2016-08-24 at 07:48 AM.

Older women ftw. Except now I'm old too, so the "older women" concept is becoming terrifying.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    It can work, and it can't work. i think I dated someone who was 10,000 years older than me. She was quite exquisite at fellatio.
    Was she a corpse at the museum?

Deleted
    Probably some form of mild instability anyway.
    Something related to like some trauma and stuff.

Revolting nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Celista

Well, Youtube is back to not working here, so I can't comment on the specifics of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista
    What's your opinion regarding age gap relationships?
    Like any other relationship there are things that need to be balanced. Where both parties are legally able to consent, and have given informed consent, I consider the basics to be covered.

Do you think age gaps matter in dating?
    They are one of the many factors to balance, but so are culture, social status, and economic background.

What's the largest age gap you've had between yourself and a romantic partner?
    Where I was the younger? Eleven years. I was sixteen and she was 27.

Where I was the elder? Twenty-six years. I'm 56 and she is 30. We're engaged and have been together for three years. Twenty to twenty-six years seems to have been a fairly standard gap for me here.

When I was young, I was more comfortable with older women because they were more likely to have enough education to talk about things I was interested in. Now that I'm often the older one, I remember that and try to show equal respect to younger women. If she is confident and we interact on a reasonably equal basis, I don't really give much thought to age. If we end up going out more than once or twice, age difference is something that I make sure to discuss because there are times it will be relevant.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Celista

Well, Youtube is back to not working here, so I can't comment on the specifics of the video.

Like any other relationship there are things that need to be balanced. Where both parties are legally able to consent, and have given informed consent, I consider the basics to be covered.

They are one of the many factors to balance, but so are culture, social status, and economic background.

Where I was the younger? Eleven years. I was sixteen and she was 27.

Where I was the elder? Twenty-six years. I'm 56 and she is 30. We're engaged and have been together for three years. Twenty to twenty-six years seems to have been a fairly standard gap for me here.

When I was young, I was more comfortable with older women because they were more likely to have enough education to talk about things I was interested in. Now that I'm often the older one, I remember that and try to show equal respect to younger women. If she is confident and we interact on a reasonably equal basis, I don't really give much thought to age. If we end up going out more than once or twice, age difference is something that I make sure to discuss because there are times it will be relevant.
    Well watch out for those gardeners in 4-5 years time

Only messing...

...kind of.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are six years between me and my boyfriend, which isn't very much compared to the ones linked here, but even that sometimes makes me feel pretty old with how fast technology changed in those 6 years... things that I can remember and he can't. When I was in university raiding Molten Core, he was only 11 years old!

So yeah, with that in mind I can't even imagine what it must be like dating someone with a 20 or more year gap. But nothing against it if it works for people

if they can make it work and both lives are better for it, then its a wonderful relationship where they both mutually gain on multiple levels.