Thread: No Man's Sky

The issue witht he game is it isnt a AAA title game, its an Alpha test. None of the features that where said where in the game, other than the 18 Quintilian explore able worlds, are there. No Ship name, no ship choice. I feel Sean and Hello Games flat out lied to most of the players. He trolled Gamers, and I for one am not happy about it. I have already returned my game, for a full refund on the PSN and wont get it again. I dont care if they ad everything in and then some. They Lied. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    When Murray was asked "Can you play with your friends?" and he said "Yes", and when he was asked "Can you grief other players?" and he said "A little bit", I find it difficult to believe that he would knowingly tell such blatant porkies, because obviously people were going to find out. But then he tweeted "To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience" which contradicts his earlier statements. So was it originally his intention for there to be some form of co-op/multiplayer and Sony told him to can it in order to get the game on the shelves? Or was he knowingly misrepresenting the game in order to increase preorders and sales?
    On the Colbert show, national TV he said in no uncertain terms that you would be able to kill other players and take their stuff. When you make that positive of an affirmation of a planned feature, you need to be just as strong in your wording that it has been removed. He did downplay the multiplayer stuff at points, but always hinting that it was still present. Saying something is improbable is not the same thing as saying they did not even implement it. This is where the comparisons to Blizzard falls apart. No matter what Blizzard removes and at what point in development they remove it, they always strong and in no uncertain terms state that it has been removed, and it is usually many months, sometimes a year before launch. You never buy a Blizzard game and discover for the first time something they announced 6 months ago has been removed.
    Last edited by Azrile; 2016-08-24 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    On the Colbert show, national TV he said in no uncertain terms that you would be able to kill other players and take their stuff. When you make that positive of an affirmation of a planned feature, you need to be just as strong in your wording that it has been removed. He did downplay the multiplayer stuff at points, but always hinting that it was still present. Saying something is improbable is not the same thing as saying they did not even implement it. This is where the comparisons to Blizzard falls apart. No matter what Blizzard removes and at what point in development they remove it, they always strong and in no uncertain terms state that it has been removed, and it is usually many months, sometimes a year before launch. You never buy a Blizzard game and discover for the first time something they announced 6 months ago has been removed.
    That's just a problem with a game not being run with a pr department.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    "That's not lying, he just didn't know how to express in words what his brain was actually thinking"....

/slams head in table

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    "That's not lying, he just didn't know how to express in words what his brain was actually thinking"....

/slams head in table
    Uh nice try, but no. Whether he's lying or not is irrelevant. Feel free to completely ignore the worthwhile talking points while focusing on the one thing devs do best. I thought this thread would be decent but o man. Ooooo man.

and you are just making excuses for a developer who was obviously playing fast and loose with the truth in order to increase sales.

Uh nice try, but no. Whether he's lying or not is irrelevant. Feel free to completely ignore the worthwhile talking points while focusing on the one thing devs do best. I thought this thread would be decent but o man. Ooooo man.
    You literally said, that a lying dev is not a lying dev, but a lack of PR management? Really? Not a single fraction of your brain tells you that this is a bit silly?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Subjective, but I'll allow it. You might want to read why I referred to it though.

I mean, read the thread from the point where you left it before you responded to me, so that you can follow the entire thing and not just jump in, post some nonsense because butthurt and leave again.
    Talking about butthurt ^^^. I read your nonsense. As I said no point in quoting it.
    Also; I guess you were educated in Math-
    American eh?

- - - Updated - - -

You literally said, that a lying dev is not a lying dev
    Lying implies malice. Prove malice first then we can talk about lying.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post

Lying implies malice. Prove malice first then we can talk about lying.
    really? so if I say the sky is green, I am not lying since there is no malice.

But anyway, there was malice, he was trying to hype the game, getting people to spend money on features that aren´t implemented at all ( multiplayer) or are barely implemented to the point of not even being noticeable ( factions).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
    The issue witht he game is it isnt a AAA title game, its an Alpha test.
    Sigh, no it's not an alpha test. The game is polished, runs great on my rig and I've had fun for the past 40 or so hours I've put into it.

It's hard to take anyone seriously when they start off with absolute and factual nonsense. At least try to make an honest point.

The game is great. I buy it and play on my computer. I recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Anyway, removed features or no, the game we got can easily be GotY 2016. Stop complaining, go play something else. Leave this thread to those of us who are smart enough to enjoy the game we got instead of bitching about the game we didn't get.
    That's a fucking riot. If this half finished, shallow, repetitive game that was released too early and at too high of a price from a lying developer wins GOTY for 2016, then there is no fucking hope left for the video game industry.

People can like this game all they want, but to say it could easily win GOTY 2016 puts you on a whole new plane of delusional.

People are saying it's amazing how I can hate on this game so much. It amazes me how much people are defending such a shitty game and shitty developer and also saying shit like "GOTY 2016". Your standards are pretty fucking low to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

And lol at all the people saying "they were just to ambitious when making this game" or "content in games always gets cut before release" or "things change, just like they always do in games development " or "insert random bullshit comment to defend Hello Games here".

Sorry, but when a developer says "Yes, X, Y, Z is in the game and you can do this or that" a month or two before release and then X, Y, Z is actually not in the game at all, that's what we call a bold faced lie. Not "they were just to ambitious". They fucking knew that they weren't going to have that shit in the game at launch and they went ahead and said it anyway. End of story. Anyone else saying otherwise is either blind, ignorant, or just plain delusional. Fanboys gotta stop trying so hard when all the evidence is against what they're saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have never played survival games it's probably a fun and light-hearted entry into the genre. It certainly is.

However after seeing the same repeated proofs over and over again about developers lying I've come to see it in two different ways:

There is an obvious demand for that type of game and the PR handled that terribly by suggesting they are going to literally give them a feature-list complete experience.

There was an impression given that the team could handle such type of game of such scale whilst other, bigger, developers couldn't and rely too much on fakes instead - which is ironic given that supposed fakes in competitor products were derided while showing mockup scenes.

1.) People always wanted and still want to play a game that was like the one Hello Games PR guy, Sean Murray, initially and repeatedly promised. He knew it and he exploited it to the fullest. He generated tons of leads by doing it knowing that in actual development you have to make technical compromises which means re-designs and cuts are included. He showed pre-generated and handcrafted Potemkin villages while telling it's all part of the procedurally generated content everyone's going to experience. He's basically been the equivalent of the guy advertising for a detergent which magically removes all kind of stains by making them fade away in sparkly glitters. If you were five years old you probably believed that this worked but not as adult, when it comes to games belonging to desperation genres people are all mentally five year old and behave like that too!

2.) Most ambitious game projects like the ones they promised usually require a lot of resources (space, manpower, money, energy, hardware etc.) and, more importantly, time to develop and even then often lag behind the original vision. Which is why, as an indie developer, you should not promise more than you could actually make happen especially with a fairly small-scale team. Even so you should be absolutely transparent about the changes when you are going to document the state of your game. Changes during development are normal especially when you cannot exceed a certain deadline and need to make compromises, when five years of development time isn't something you could afford because you would otherwise go bankrupt.

Bottom line: Always take into consideration the team size and projected development time before believing anything. Secondly also take into consideration for which platform it is developed. If it's for consoles then games have an upper cap in terms of data complexity, memory and computing power requirements. It's a lot healthier these days to be sceptical beforehand even if it is painful sometimes to stay away from the pre-order button.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Talking about butthurt ^^^. I read your nonsense. As I said no point in quoting it.
    I didn't say it was, as I said, go up, read everything again. Not my posts, everything So that you understand why I would reference quoting my nonsense.

I'm not sure what being American has anything to do with probability, but the chance to encounter anyone remains equal, while the probability that you eventually do meet grows larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Sigh, no it's not an alpha test. The game is polished, runs great on my rig and I've had fun for the past 40 or so hours I've put into it.

It's hard to take anyone seriously when they start off with absolute and factual nonsense. At least try to make an honest point.
    I've seen Alphas and Betas of other games with more features, polish, and promise than this supposed finalized and released product that they also have the balls to charge you $60 for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei66 View Post
    The game is great. I buy it and play on my computer. I recommend it
    What's funny is that a lot of the positive user reviews that this game actually gets are generally nothing more than this. "I like it! It's fun! It runs great on my PC!" And that's it.

Sorry, but if that's the best that most people can come up with for why this game is so amazing, it speaks volumes of how little there actually is going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    That's a fucking riot. If this half finished, shallow, repetitive game that was released too early and at too high of a price from a lying developer wins GOTY for 2016, then there is no fucking hope left for the video game industry.

People can like this game all they want, but to say it could easily win GOTY 2016 puts you on a whole new plane of delusional.

People are saying it's amazing how I can hate on this game so much. It amazes me how much people are defending such a shitty game and shitty developer and also saying shit like "GOTY 2016". Your standards are pretty fucking low to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

And lol at all the people saying "they were just to ambitious when making this game" or "content in games always gets cut before release" or "things change, just like they always do in games development " or "insert random bullshit comment to defend Hello Games here".

Sorry, but when a developer says "Yes, X, Y, Z is in the game and you can do this or that" a month or two before release and then X, Y, Z is actually not in the game at all, that's what we call a bold faced lie. Not "they were just to ambitious". They fucking knew that they weren't going to have that shit in the game at launch and they went ahead and said it anyway. End of story. Anyone else saying otherwise is either blind, ignorant, or just plain delusional. Fanboys gotta stop trying so hard when all the evidence is against what they're saying.
    Have you ever read Moby Dick?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    I've seen Alphas and Betas of other games with more features, polish, and promise than this supposed finalized and released product that they also have the balls to charge you $60 for.

-
    Those aren't alpha or beta tests either, but live versions marketed as an alpha or beta to build hype and have streamers release snippets of your game before it hits the shelves.

Don't be dense.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    really? so if I say the sky is green, I am not lying since there is no malice.
    Making false statements is not the same as lying. If you knew that the sky is not green and still claim it's green there are two possible ways to describe that:
    1. White lie - you do it for a good reason - I don't know, to pacify a crazy person who suspects that the sky is not actually green and the end is nigh.
    2. Lie - you do it with a malice.

If you don't know that it's not green and actually believe yourself that it is green - that's is not a lie.

But anyway, there was malice, he was trying to hype the game, getting people to spend money on features that aren´t implemented at all ( multiplayer) or are barely implemented to the point of not even being noticeable ( factions).
    Prove it. Statements are not proof.

I didn't say it was, as I said, go up, read everything again. Not my posts, everything So that you understand why I would reference quoting my nonsense.
    I don't need to read everything to identify nonsense
    I'm not sure what being American has anything to do with probability, but the chance to encounter anyone remains equal, while the probability that you eventually do meet grows larger.
    "Math-" <- that's being American.
    chance and probability are the same thing. Probability grows only as the number of players grows.
    Also probability of eventually meeting someone even if there are only two players playing in the whole game universe is 1 as in 100%.
    Also it is not more probable to meet someone on day 10 than it is to meet someone on day 0 - on its OWN. Only the increase of the number of players can increase the chance of meeting someone later. The probability is small, but it doesn't mean it must happen later. Probability to win lottery is very small - but someone wins it all the time.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Yeah. I mean, I bought the game and enjoyed it for the most part. But GOTY it is not.

Edit: LOL Elim, what is wrong with you.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2016-08-24 at 10:17 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, mostly agree. I was taken in ( initially) by the hype for this game. It sounded different, varied, unique. But something told me wait, this all sounds a little incredible. BUT I don't think anyone outright lied.

So after a few days, went to a friend's place ( he had bought the game). Watched for a while, and listened to him make a lot of comments along the lines of: "I thought it would be more...." and " this isn't what I expected, but...." , and so forth.

He still mostly seemed to enjoy it. But, when you have to talk yourself into liking something ( and he admitted he thought going in he'd be 100% satisfied with it), something's wrong.

They over-promised, plain and simple. They did not have the people or budget to deliver all their hype. Do I believe this was intentional? No. It was extremely poor judgement, an inability to rightly assess one's own limitations.

So, basically, incompetence. They sh-t the bed in their first big hyped project. I won't be paying attention to them again.

@Zephyr Storm, I understand the anger you have, but do you really believe the problems were outright lies, or just plain old incompetence?
    Last edited by Berengil; 2016-08-24 at 10:07 AM.