Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    And that's only quakes.
    I mean Naples is sitting under an active volcano for fucks sake. That's 3 million people right there.
    Ah yes volcanos. At this point we might as well evacuate planet earth because if the one in Yellowstone goes off it would have a GLOBAL impact not including the fact that 90% of the U.S. would be utterly fucked.

We should just go back to reading animal guts again I'd say.
    Haruspex? Sure, why not!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoey141 View Post
    Haruspex? Sure, why not!
    I wonder what animal rights groups would say about that.

Like anyone cares what they think. Psh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    I live in Rome and I can feel at least an earthquake every 2-3 mins for the last 30. It's probably aftershock earthquakes, they're not as strong but from what I am reading they're harming even more places, mostly around the epicenter.
    Last edited by mmoce758d016cd; 2016-09-15 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Ah yes volcanos. At this point we might as well evacuate planet earth because if the one in Yellowstone goes off it would have a GLOBAL impact not including the fact that 90% of the U.S. would be utterly fucked.
    It's more fucked up than I thought it was.

And "a billion" is exaggerated.
    Considering that Thailand, Japan and Indonesia alone already make half a billion, I'd say its rather understating.

It's more fucked up than I thought it was.
    Yeah man, if Yellowstones goes off you better hope you're close to it so you die instantly versus dealing with the aftermath. Same with nuclear weapons, even one nuclear weapon going off anywhere in the world would have a GLOBAL impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgok View Post
    I live in Rome and I can feel at least an earthquake every 2-3 mins during the last 30. It's probably aftershock earthquakes, they're not as strong but from what I am reading they're harming even more places, mostly around the epicenter.
    Stay safe...Take care!

Yeah man, if Yellowstones goes off you better hope you're close to it so you die instantly versus dealing with the aftermath. Same with nuclear weapons, even one nuclear weapon going off anywhere in the world would have a GLOBAL impact.
    Put down the flat earth science book for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    http://www.rainews.it/

If anyone wants to get some info and translate it here's all you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such as?..

Did you say nuclear? Scary...Very, very, scary. Well, looks like the makers of Mad Max: Fury Road got it right. Nuclear holocaust, civilization collapse, et al.
    Last edited by Zoey141; 2016-08-24 at 12:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Are earthquakes unpredictable? Can't people be evacuated well in advance? Why do people settle in faulty regions and quake-prone areas?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...uake/89240378/
    Unfortunately, there aren't any easy ways to predict earthquakes. We just don't currently have the types of tools necessary to do such predictions.

As for why people settle in faulty regions, keep in mind that there is no such thing as an area that will never have earthquakes.

Looks like Virginia is really, really safe in that picture right? In 2011, there was a 5.8M earthquake about 35 miles NE of Richmond, VA. It did damage to structures in D.C.

Furthermore, looking at that map, and others from around the world, we'd have to abandon a lot of very large areas just to be in lower probability zones.

But look, the Sahari desert would be a great place...

I wonder, too...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Unfortunately, there aren't any easy ways to predict earthquakes. We just don't currently have the types of tools necessary to do such predictions.

As for why people settle in faulty regions, keep in mind that there is no such thing as an area that will never have earthquakes.

Looks like Virginia is really, really safe in that picture right? In 2011, there was a 5.8M earthquake about 35 miles NE of Richmond, VA. It did damage to structures in D.C.

Furthermore, looking at that map, and others from around the world, we'd have to abandon a lot of very large areas just to be in lower probability zones.

But look, the Sahari desert would be a great place...

And yet, we think we know it all.

Illinois. I've a few family members who live close to the epicenter. Still waiting to hear from them.

I wish they were predictable though...Sigh.
    Goggle the New Madrid Seismic Zone then, it threatens seven states, including Illinois.

My point being that many people don't even realize they are in a seismic zone.

Are earthquakes unpredictable? Can't people be evacuated well in advance? Why do people settle in faulty regions and quake-prone areas?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...uake/89240378/
    Why don't you go ask them, I am sure it will go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Such as?..
    You serious? I really feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this.

http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nucle...uclearweapons/

Here's just a climate effect and yes it can have a global impact. Yes those are based on a nuclear war scenario but even one weapon going off can be still have global consequences. Not to mention political consequences, I think its safe to assume with our charged political climate and all the conflict going on that lets say a nuclear bomb went off in the middle east. You'd have India and Pakistan chomping at the bit to let loose. You'd then probably have Israel say fuck it and so forth.

What are the effects on climate?

Massive absorption of warming sunlight by a global smoke layer would cause Ice Age temperatures on Earth. NASA computer models predict 40% of the smoke would stay in the stratosphere for 10 years. There the smoke would also destroy much of the protective ozone layer and allow dangerous amounts of UV light to reach the Earth's surface.

Half of 1% of the explosive power of the deployed nuclear arsenal can create nuclear darkness. 100 Hiroshima-size weapons exploded in the large cities of India and Pakistan would put 5 million tons of smoke in the stratosphere and drop average global temperatures to Little Ice Age levels. Shortened growing seasons could cause up to 1 billion people to starve to death.

A large nuclear war could put 150 million tons of smoke in the stratosphere and make global temperatures colder than they were 18,000 years ago during the coldest part of the last Ice Age. Killing frosts would occur every day for 1-3 years in the large agricultural regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Average global precipitation would be reduced by 45%. Earth’s ozone layer would be decimated. Growing seasons would be eliminated.

A large nuclear war would utterly devastate the environment and cause most people to starve to death. Already stressed ecosystems would collapse. Deadly climate change, radioactive fallout and toxic pollution would cause a mass extinction event, eliminating humans and most complex forms of life on Earth.
    Last edited by Thelin; 2016-08-24 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Goggle the New Madrid Seismic Zone then, it threatens seven states, including Illinois.

My point being that many people don't even realize they are in a seismic zone.
    *Trembles*... This is a revelation!

10+ Year Old Account
    You serious? I really feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this.

http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nucle...uclearweapons/

Here's just a climate effect and yes it can have a global impact. Yes those are based on a nuclear war scenario but even one weapon going off can be still have global consequences.

What are the effects on climate?

Massive absorption of warming sunlight by a global smoke layer would cause Ice Age temperatures on Earth. NASA computer models predict 40% of the smoke would stay in the stratosphere for 10 years. There the smoke would also destroy much of the protective ozone layer and allow dangerous amounts of UV light to reach the Earth's surface.

Half of 1% of the explosive power of the deployed nuclear arsenal can create nuclear darkness. 100 Hiroshima-size weapons exploded in the large cities of India and Pakistan would put 5 million tons of smoke in the stratosphere and drop average global temperatures to Little Ice Age levels. Shortened growing seasons could cause up to 1 billion people to starve to death.

A large nuclear war could put 150 million tons of smoke in the stratosphere and make global temperatures colder than they were 18,000 years ago during the coldest part of the last Ice Age. Killing frosts would occur every day for 1-3 years in the large agricultural regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Average global precipitation would be reduced by 45%. Earth’s ozone layer would be decimated. Growing seasons would be eliminated.

A large nuclear war would utterly devastate the environment and cause most people to starve to death. Already stressed ecosystems would collapse. Deadly climate change, radioactive fallout and toxic pollution would cause a mass extinction event, eliminating humans and most complex forms of life on Earth.
    So the 2,120 nuclear tests didn't happen? What about the Tsar bomb?
    Last edited by Medusa Cascade; 2016-08-24 at 12:35 PM.