Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Aren't you like....some kinda Welsh? You're doing a shit job at it if you have any affection for the British Empire lol :P.
    The Welsh were as much a part of Empire as the rest of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Not really offended. More like annoyed, especially considering the fact that we fought and beat the UK twice explicitly so that we would NOT be counted in its empire.
    Twice?

And also because we easily put the UK and everyone else to shame when it comes to the number of medals we won, and you don't see us trying to rub it in everyone else's faces.
    The US won roughly twice as many medals as the UK and has roughly five times the population, so really the US underperformed.

But you have nothing to ashamed about, India (population 1.2 billion) only won two medals, even Bulgaria (populated by gypsies and people working in the sex industry) won more medals than them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    A furry who thinks that GB is a country. /thread
    GB = great britain which is a country, do they teach you geography in school

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm sure the USA would obliterate the Olympics if every state had a team. lol
    they obliterate it with just one team, so yeah, with 50 or so states competeing, im sure no one else would have a chance at all :P

I think the outrage is more from those that prefer to believe the EU is one country.

That's actually pretty damn funny. I love me some quality retro British humour. Yeah, I spelled "humor" wrong just as a nod to my colonial masters across the great ocean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Don't really think it's got anything to do with Brexit, more the assertion that the British Empire is still a thing which is a retarded statement to make.
    last i checked it was the basis for the entire brexit vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Considering the queen is still the queen and ceremonial head of state in many commonwealth countries, that doesn't seem like it's in bad taste.
    The commonwealth is not the empire.
    The chose the first, rebelled against the second.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Twice?
    Revolution, and the war of 1812.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    GB = great britain which is a country, do they teach you geography in school
    You can't be serious xD

GB is the island, UK the country.

Fucking furrytrash

Deleted
    You can't be serious xD

GB is the island, UK the country.

Fucking furrytrash
    sigh.. UK isn't a country either..

Deleted
    You can't be serious xDGB is the island, UK the country.Fucking furrytrash
    rather be a furry than someone who never did geography in school, UK isnt the country cos UK stand for united kingdom which is all the countries collectivly.

Deleted
    Typical english arrogance not so subtly passing as a joke if I'm being honest. I think nobody is offended, but some may be getting mildly irritated, especially considering the political context.

Deleted
    NEWS @ 10 - ANTI BREXIT CROWD QQ OVER PETTY SHIT

You sound like bitter jiltedd brides lol

She sounds a bit desperate

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

They're making Britain Great Again. Lefties and other self-loathing westerners will of course dislike any national pride.
    Working on my next ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    ...the war of 1812.
    Not entirely sure how a war in which Britain attained all its objectives and the US achieved none, as well as the US suffering greater losses than Britain, goes down as a victory for the US.

Generally not achieving your objectives and suffering more goes down as a loss, or draw at best.

- - - Updated - - -

The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, abbreviated as the UK, is a country.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries - though England & Wales are sort of one country and two countries at the same time, depending on what criteria you use for 'country', but traditionally they are regarded as two.

Great Britain is not a country, it is the island that England, Scotland and Wales are located on, though it is often used as a synonym for UK.

Great Britain is made up of the kingdoms of England and Scotland.

The Kingdom of England is a kingdom that is made up of England and Wales, this is why we do not have a crappy dragon on the Union Jack, as Wales is represented by the flag of St George.

The British Isles are the islands that the countries England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland are located in - note that British Isles is a geographic term, hence why Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland are in it, even though they are not in Britain.

People within the British Isles are legally British (those from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), Irish (Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) or sometimes both (Northern Ireland). This is what it will say on their passports.

People are also English, Scottish, Welsh, (Northern) Irish or (Southern) Irish.

For example, if you come from Wales you would be Welsh and British, living in Wales, the Kingdom of England (& Wales), Great Britain, United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, and the British Isles.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem with it.

I don't think it's in poor taste to point out that the Anglosphere more-or-less overlaps the half-billion richest people on Earth, with the ability to support professional athletes, professional coaches and support teams for them, all the best equipment and training that money can buy, etc.

It shouldn't be taboo to point out that we kick ass at the Olympics, but it's also perfectly explainable given our capabilities. It's also not in poor taste to point out that - accounting for our advantages - we are not particularly exceptional for non-anglosphere countries, with comparable levels of development, per capita.

It would be in poor taste if it implied that all former inhabitants of the British Empire were genetically superior, by virtue of tea and crumpets and silent u's, to everyone else: but it doesn't do that. We do have a superpower though, and it's called money.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    We do have a superpower though, and it's called money.
    It's no surprise Canada has greatly improved their medal count since dumping money into it.

Deleted
    Not entirely sure how a war in which Britain attained all its objectives and the US achieved none, as well as the US suffering greater losses than Britain, goes down as a victory for the US.
    At the end of the day the US remained independent?
    You didn't manage to annex New England into Canada?
    I have no clue, yet that must be the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I don't see the problem with it.

I don't think it's in poor taste to point out that the Anglosphere more-or-less overlaps the half-billion richest people on Earth,
    This only works if you strategically avoid including India.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    At the end of the day the US remained independent?
    You didn't manage to annex New England into Canada?
    I have no clue, yet that must be the answer.
    In the war of 1812, the US came up north to Canada, we repelled them and then came down to burn the white house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    In the war of 1812, the US came up north to Canada, we repelled them and then came down to burn the white house.
    The US and the UK has fought two wars.
    Therefore, that war must be among the two wars he was talking about.

Deleted
    The Welsh were as much a part of Empire as the rest of Britain.

Twice?

The US won roughly twice as many medals as the UK and has roughly five times the population, so really the US underperformed.

But you have nothing to ashamed about, India (population 1.2 billion) only won two medals, even Bulgaria (populated by gypsies and people working in the sex industry) won more medals than them.
    seriously, nearly every one of your posts makes me laugh, in a good way.