Poll: Which expansion had the best leveling experience overall?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Since blizzard practically abandons the game for 1 year to make an expansion these days, if they made a whole world each expansion we'd see the live servers abandoned for 5 years straight, as that is pretty much how long they took for the original.. I think I prefer the current model .
    Exactly. I've seen a few people argue about why we can't have the amount of questing content that we had in vanilla when vanilla was the first game that took many years to complete. People hate the content droughts as it is so I can't imagine the rage from waiting 5+ years lol

7+ Year Old Account
    did a little bit of the beta and loved it. was enjoying trying to break the beta and stpped to actually play and then stopped because i didnt want to spoiler myself for live wrath was the most fun questing for me. and close second was MoP
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

I voted Draenor, but I did not consider Legion yet (even though I did level to 110 on the Beta), since it's not live yet. I'll pass final judgment on Legion after I do it on live.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

Deleted
    From vanilla to LK, cause the best leveling experience one could ever get, is leveling shadow priest using wands, because shadow spells cost too much mana.

Haven't had access to Legion BETA, but WoD beat all other leveling experiences big time if you consider that the game wasn't new and exciting like in Vanilla. The way storylines progressed and the somewhat epic end battles in most zones really improved my experience.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD because I get to level through the stuff faster, and it helps when you have too many alts.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    wotlk, by far.
    warlords was actually the worst imo. gorgrond and spires of arak were just terrible zones, and the only good zone was basically shadowmoon valley, and even that was diminished by the garrison experience.
    Last edited by mmocbb854e85f6; 2016-08-25 at 12:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post
    Wow some of you (those who voted Legion beta) are quite delirious. There is only one decent zone in Legion in Valshara.

I personally want to sit next to you when you do Highmountain and just watch your face as you go from HAPPY GO LUCKY LEGION IS BESTIE! to utter rage and dissapointment. But hey, 30th is here soon.
    No idea what you're talking about. I liked Highmountain a lot, beautiful zone with lots to explore.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the few things Warlords got perfect was the epic leveling.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

7+ Year Old Account
    Cata hands down for me. Zones were beautiful and so diverse, quests were just fine and I really like titan\old god\dragon theme.
    I do recognize however, that zones were disjointed and whole picture was quite unclear but I like it anyway.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

As many others have mentioned, I think the quality of the leveling experience gets better with each expansion, in terms of the type and variety of leveling content and quests, and just overall "smoothness". However, lore wise I think the best leveling storyline was WotLK. Aesthetically, I think the best was MoP as I loved the Japanese/Chinese influence.

Missing an option "Legion Invasion". An invasion gives huge XP.

I really enjoyed leveling on the legion beta.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    TBC > Wrath > MoP > Cata > WoD

Hard to pick between TBC/Wrath but the higher amount of quests/stories in Wrath just enables it to win out.

Deleted
    While I personally prefer grinding alot of mobs vanilla was good, but there was way too much running around. It took ages to go from quest hub till the next only to go back for more quests etc. Warlords has so far been the most smooth in my opinion

WoD had the best leveling experience the first time through, but was rather weak on replay value due to linearity.
    Wrath probably had the best variance on ways to get through the leveling process.
    BC was absolutely the most imaginative

In order from best to worst:

WoD-->Wrath-->BC-->MoP-->Cata*

*old world revamp is not being included for this particular discussion, though I do think it improved most of the zones that it altered.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I'd say in this order:
    Legion > WoD > MoP > Wrath > Cata > TBC.
    Pretty much. Each expansion has been better than the last.

That said legion feels horrible for alts. You might be able to start in different zones but your aim is to hit friendly with all zones asap no matter what so you'll be doing the exact same quests each time.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2016-08-25 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Vanilla > Wrath > BC >>>> meh

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD for me, Legion will probably top it once I see end of zone conclusion cinematics though.

One of the things I like about Legion is the ability to start anywhere. The thing about Legion is there is only 4 zones and it kind of makes you want to do them all to a point that reputation is gained to a certain threshold. This is fine for the first few characters, but later in the expansion it might suck if something isn't changed. Minor issue though. The four zones also kinda hurts as there isn't much variety aside from picking a different starting point. WoD isn't much better, but you could skip a zone if you wanted to and still hit 100.

I guess to each their own but it's been a trend in my opinion that leveling has been the one true thing that has gotten better with each expansion. Vanilla leveling wasn't challenging, it was just tedious. If challenge is scraping through upwards of 3 zones in the 40-50 area (Horde wise anyway), plagued with flying back and forth just to hit 50, then I don't want that type of challenge. It was seriously an awful experience and the last thing I look back on with rose tinted glasses thinking, "Wow wasn't that something I miss". Raids, dungeons and other things? Sure. Leveling? Not a chance.

By TBC the only thing that really changed to that formula was that each zone had more than enough quests to hit level cap, and the traveling back and forth was largely eliminated. WoTLK was basically the same thing, but more refined and usually each zone had several huge story lines that were concluded at the end. Cataclysm was when they introduced on the rails leveling where breadcrumb questing had largely been eliminated and this pretty much carried through to MoP as well. WoD strayed from it a bit and so hasn't Legion.

Most of my basis for leveling is how many characters I bothered to level in said expansion to max, and how much I enjoyed it. I hated MoP leveling and really only leveled a couple characters through actually questing, but it was the expansion I leveled the most to max. I only did this because I had people cart me around killing rare spawns and picking up treasures though, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. WoD was the only expansion I actually went through the leveling content 3-4 times and didn't mind it, 2 other characters I did solely with treasures, but it was an impressive feat that I actually bothered to quest to max level several times in an expansion.