Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You are so full of shit.
    I misspoke in that initial post making them separate, you got me. You win pal. You win. I'm done debating this stupid shit with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoey141 View Post
    Are earthquakes unpredictable? Can't people be evacuated well in advance? Why do people settle in faulty regions and quake-prone areas?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...uake/89240378/

UPDATE:

After reading some comments posted on this thread, it seems that there is a common answer to the questions I asked and the answer is: NO. Thank you for replying and sharing what you know. I'm a little less ignorant (as of today).
    Earthquakes are kind of predictable. Sorta, yet not quite.

They settle in such regions because they've been there for hundreds if not thousands of years. The risk of potential disaster doesn't disuade people from living in such places. The long-term benefits outweight the short-term dangers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    I misspoke in that initial post making them separate, you got me. You win pal. You win. I'm done debating this stupid shit with you.
    You brought it up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    So the 2,120 nuclear tests didn't happen? What about the Tsar bomb?

Youve got to be absurdly naive to not know that nuclear tests caused fucktons of fallout.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-test-60-years

"US nuclear experiments in the Marshall Islands ended in 1958 after 67 tests. But a United Nations report in 2012 said the effects were long-lasting. Special rapporteur Calin Georgescu, in a report to the UN human rights council, said “near-irreversible environmental contamination” had led to the loss of livelihoods and many people continued to experience “indefinite displacement”."

http://scroll.in/article/664440/fort...-cancer-deaths
    "Forty years after India’s Smiling Buddha mission, the villages in the vicinity of the Pokhran test range have long fallen out of the international spotlight. But in the decades since, as they have been beset by what they claim are abnormally high rates of cancer and genetic disorders, these villagers have joined a tragic global circle of residents of nuclear test sites around the world who grapple every day with the fear of radiation exposure."

https://www.ctbto.org/nuclear-testin...-soviet-union/

"Testing on Novaya Zemlya represents the greatest single source of artificial radioactive contamination in the Arctic. From 1958 to 1962, the large number of high yield atmospheric tests on the islands resulted in radioactive contamination not only on Russian territory but also in Alaska and northern Canada. Norway, located just 900 km away from the islands, also received considerable radioactive fallout and became very concerned about the possibility of the Barents Sea, one of its main fishing areas, becoming polluted. Fallout from all past atmospheric weapons testing is still a major source of plutonium isotopes in the Arctic seas."

You have no grasp what so ever about the cover-up and denial that governments commit to about the dangers of radiation and nuclear testing. Chernobyl is still being lied about. Most people don't even know how the second reactor almost made Europe uninhabitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Youve got to be absurdly naive to not know that nuclear tests caused fucktons of fallout.

"US nuclear experiments in the Marshall Islands ended in 1958 after 67 tests. But a United Nations report in 2012 said the effects were long-lasting. Special rapporteur Calin Georgescu, in a report to the UN human rights council, said “near-irreversible environmental contamination” had led to the loss of livelihoods and many people continued to experience “indefinite displacement”."

"Forty years after India’s Smiling Buddha mission, the villages in the vicinity of the Pokhran test range have long fallen out of the international spotlight. But in the decades since, as they have been beset by what they claim are abnormally high rates of cancer and genetic disorders, these villagers have joined a tragic global circle of residents of nuclear test sites around the world who grapple every day with the fear of radiation exposure."

"Testing on Novaya Zemlya represents the greatest single source of artificial radioactive contamination in the Arctic. From 1958 to 1962, the large number of high yield atmospheric tests on the islands resulted in radioactive contamination not only on Russian territory but also in Alaska and northern Canada. Norway, located just 900 km away from the islands, also received considerable radioactive fallout and became very concerned about the possibility of the Barents Sea, one of its main fishing areas, becoming polluted. Fallout from all past atmospheric weapons testing is still a major source of plutonium isotopes in the Arctic seas."

You have no grasp what so ever about the cover-up and denial that governments commit to about the dangers of radiation and nuclear testing. Chernobyl is still being lied about. Most people don't even know how the second reactor almost made Europe uninhabitable.
    We were talking about global impact from a single nuke, try to keep up dear

That fact can actually be used to date some things. But when the person we're discussing was originally talking about global nuclear winter from one nuclear weapon, the relatively mild effects from those tests might as well not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    That fact can actually be used to date some things. But when the person we're discussing was originally talking about global nuclear winter from one nuclear weapon, the relatively mild effects from those tests might as well not exist.
    In his first post he didn't mention nuclear winter. He mentioned global impact. If the poster has actually stated nuclear winter from one bomb, then that's incorrect, of course.
    But a modern nuclear bomb, with the yields they carry, would absolutely have repercussions that would be global. Imagine one of those nukes going off in say, Berlin tomorrow. It would throw Europe in to cause. Millions would die in the initial blast and millions more would die from the fallout and make vast areas of Europe so irradiated it would be uninhabitable. So in that regard, it would definetly have a global effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Impacts such as? And remember you said global
    We were talking about global impact from a single nuke, try to keep up dear
    You asked for it. I provided the answers.
    I've provided the proof, now you respond to it.

In his first post he didn't mention nuclear winter. He mentioned global impact. If the poster has actually stated nuclear winter from one bomb, then that's incorrect, of course.
    But a modern nuclear bomb, with the yields they carry, would absolutely have repercussions that would be global. Imagine one of those nukes going off in say, Berlin tomorrow. It would throw Europe in to cause. Millions would die in the initial blast and millions more would die from the fallout and make vast areas of Europe so irradiated it would be uninhabitable. So in that regard, it would definetly have a global effect.
    You should read what they've posted. I'm well aware of the actual affects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

- - - Updated - - -

You asked for it. I provided the answers.
    I've provided the proof, now you respond to it.
    Thank you. Yes I was not proposing it would be a nuclear winter type scenario from one bomb..now if a nuclear war broke out yes. I should have been much more clear based on some of the responses I got yes my scenario was round 1 bomb/strike (not a test) going off anywhere. The first initial article I linked was around scenarios of 100+ bombs going off so I should not have linked it but I really wasn't planning on having to do a lot of deep digging.

Deleted
    Erm... who gives a fuck about nukes. This is about an earthquake in Italy.
    Numbers are rising drastically. 60 confirmed dead so far.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    wonder if Italy will jail its scientists again for not predicting it?
    My first thought was "Alright, who gets to go to jail this time?". Let the witch hunt begin!

Deleted
    For a cruel twist of fate, the village of amatrice, the epicentre, was hosting a well known food festival on Saturday and was packed with tourists.

To think that there's people that actually pray him.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Erm... who gives a fuck about nukes. This is about an earthquake in Italy.
    Numbers are rising drastically. 60 confirmed dead so far.
    Yes I did sort of derail the thread quite a bit but someone kept bringing up living in regions where natural disasters occur. At any rate is is certainly a terrible thing to see happen in Italy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    My first thought was "Alright, who gets to go to jail this time?". Let the witch hunt begin!
    My first thought now is to tell you to shut the fuck up but I won't do that cause It'd get me an infraction.

Deleted
    You should read what they've posted. I'm well aware of the actual affects.
    He mentions that a nuclear STRIKE could cause a global weather impact and it's likely that it could, depending on the yield and target. So he's not actually wrong.
    Nuclear winter though? Nah. But it would absolutely impact the local weather.

I think Thelin needed to slow down and clarify a bit more. And Seiko Sora needs to stop being so condecending and intentionally riling him up.

My first thought now is to tell you to shut the fuck up but I won't do that cause It'd get me an infraction.
    It wouldn't be funny if they didn't do it the first time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    It wouldn't be funny if they didn't do it the first time.
    *gigglesnort*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Thank you. Yes I was not proposing it would be a nuclear winter type scenario from one bomb..now if a nuclear war broke out yes. I should have been much more clear based on some of the responses I got yes my scenario was round 1 bomb/strike (not a test) going off anywhere. The first initial article I linked was around scenarios of 100+ bombs going off so I should not have linked it but I really wasn't planning on having to do a lot of deep digging.
    You never know who's gonna take a feather you dropped and make a hen out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He mentions that a nuclear STRIKE could cause a global weather impact and it's likely that it could, depending on the yield and target. So he's not actually wrong.
    Nuclear winter though? Nah. But it would absolutely impact the local weather.

I think Thelin needed to slow down and clarify a bit more. And Seiko Sora needs to stop being so condecending and intentionally riling him up.
    But I do love it so. <3

Deleted
    For a cruel twist of fate, the village of amatrice, the epicentre, was hosting a well known food festival on Saturday and was packed with tourists.

To think that there's people that actually pray him.
    Yeah I'm glad I live in one of the most geologically stable regions in the world. Sweden is old and chill
    I think we had one quake a few years ago, and it was a 2.0.