Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I understand it may be a thing in Christian culture, though I think it's a holdover from a time before birth control, but as far as I can tell there's nothing in the Bible that explicitly prohibits sex before marriage. All the stuff I've seen on the subject relies on interpreting a particular passage that basically says marriage can be a safeguard against sexual immorality as meaning sex outside of marriage is always immoral. But I see that as a square vs. rectangle thing. If sex within marriage can be a safeguard against sexual immorality, it doesn't necessarily follow that ALL sex outside of marriage is immoral.

Besides, we live in very different times today than people did back in biblical times, with better sexual health programs, prophylactics, birth control, etc. Just like God in the Bible changes his mind on stuff as situations change, is it unreasonable to think he might not object as strongly when sex outside of marriage is less likely to spread disease and result in children without families? I mean most Christians don't seem to have any issue with eating bacon or shellfish nowadays.
    There's explicit scripture in Acts where Peter has a vision saying that food is all ok. That's why we eat bacon.
    Christian reasons for doing most things aren't legalistic, it's because we believe that's how we were designed. We believe God designed sex to be a part of marriage, and to essentially save us from ourselves. Sleeping around is the cause of a lot of pain, so God's like "Hey. That makes things suck for everyone. Maybe don't do that, yeah?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    Again, that doesn't change anything I wrote. I don't even understand why you wrote your original comment as it doesn't add anything to the conversation.
    You said it used to be a lifetime commitment, then said if you love the person and plan to be with them forever blah blah blah.

Love had nothing to do with it for a long, long time. It was a business transaction that the young girl / woman had no choice in whatsoever. The "good ol days" that you're pining over are a fantasy invention of stunted morons.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Yeah no that is a load of cock lol.
    If your life partner wonders about what it would be like with others you done fucked up bro.
    Eh I think it's human nature to wonder about things like that. Acting on the impulses is where it gets fucky but people are lying if they say they haven't thought about someone else from time to time with their SO. Celebrities etc

10+ Year Old Account
    If your life partner wonders about what it would be like with others you done fucked up bro.
    Hey I'm not arguing with you there, I imagine that's a tough position for you to be in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    There's explicit scripture in Acts where Peter has a vision saying that food is all ok. That's why we eat bacon.
    Christian reasons for doing most things aren't legalistic, it's because we believe that's how we were designed. We believe God designed sex to be a part of marriage, and to essentially save us from ourselves. Sleeping around is the cause of a lot of pain, so God's like "Hey. That makes things suck for everyone. Maybe don't do that, yeah?"
    Back to fairytales I guess. Hey, whatever works
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Pretty sure it has to do with some form of early birth control.
    I'm guessing an early pregnancy at the time meant certain death or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's the smartest choice not to have sex until you are married (and then to have sex only with your spouse) from a health, financial and marital standpoint.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Hey I'm not arguing with you there, I imagine that's a tough position for you to be in.

- - - Updated - - -

Find other ways to get at me bro. You know shit on this one.

Not for me, but if people wanna commit to that, I applaud em.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I could do it for the right girl but its not exactly ideal.

You said it used to be a lifetime commitment, then said if you love the person and plan to be with them forever blah blah blah.

Love had nothing to do with it for a long, long time. It was a business transaction that the young girl / woman had no choice in whatsoever. The "good ol days" that you're pining over are a fantasy invention of stunted morons.
    OK kid. I'm done repeating myself as it's getting boring. You seem to be dead set on the belief that because in the past in the western world, and currently in some cultures, the marriage of women was seen as a commodity to be traded for goods some how invalidates the point that I'm making. One can only assume why you're unable to see how naive that is.

When the person you're having a conversation with clearly isn't willing to use critical thinking and resorts to insults because they have no real argument, it's time to walk away.

No sex before marriage is probably the dumbest thing human creativity ever produced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    No sex before marriage is probably the dumbest thing human creativity ever produced.
    I give that honor to the Edsel, personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find other ways to get at me bro. You know shit on this one.
    Sorry "bro" didn't mean to hit a nerve.

- - - Updated - - -

It is however an excellent way to ensure that your young daughter is worth as many horses and as much land as possible.

Deleted
    I hardly know anyone that does get married at all. Bastards all the way.

It actually wasn't that stupid at the time they set that rule. Back then contraceptives weren't that widespread.
    But religions do have the habit of beeing backward.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-08-24 at 03:12 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry "bro" didn't mean to hit a nerve.

- - - Updated - - -

It is however an excellent way to ensure that your young daughter is worth as many horses and as much land as possible.
    I worry about a lot of things.
    This is not one.
    Now stop shit posting perhaps. If you have personal issues with me you can send me a PM that I will gladly ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    I hardly know anyone that does get married at all. Bastards all the way.
    We all live in sin.
    Actually surprisingly enough, I do know a good few that got married now that I think about it.
    I'd marry myself if it wasn't that expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    It is the right thing to do. Those who don't wait are those who often lack morals and don't care for others around them.
    Because giving your soulmate such pleasure that she makes the cutest sound your ears have ever heard is so immoral! SACRILEGE!

Like really, come on... Stop insisting that sex is such an immoral thing to do. That is our fucking (pun intended) breeding method. We were created to have sex. Sure some people pervert it into... don't even know how to say it... but there are others who do it out of love. Love in it's purest form. But in the end it's just sex. You make it sound like a big deal, but it really isn't. It's hardly any different than kissing, hugging, holding hands, massaging each other, touching each other, sleeping together. They are all just different levels of intimacy. If you've found your soulmate then you should have absolutely no reason to not be intimate with each other. Not doing so is weirder. If you want to use the argument that sex is a physical pleasure then I will tell you 2 things: It's more than just physical pleasure and the same applies to kissing and all the other things I listed. Kissing can also generate physical pleasure. For me, personally, it doesn't, but for my girlfriend it does. A lot. And please don't tell me that you also don't hug/kiss each other, now that is some real sacrilege.

Like, really, what is so immoral about having sex with your girlfriend? If you don't want to get married to that person, then you've chosen the wrong girlfriend. If you're not sure about it, then it can't be helped. If that is the reason you don't want to have sex, then okay. But I am certain I want to get married to my girlfriend and so is she, waiting until then however - no way.

One more thing - marriage is absolutely meaningless. A ceremony? I don't want that. A list of paper? I don't NEED that. If you're going to talk to me about morals and so on, then let me teach you something - true love cannot be signed up nor written down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    When the person you're having a conversation with clearly isn't willing to use critical thinking and resorts to insults because they have no real argument, it's time to walk away.
    No need for the hysterics, I was just pointing out the fact that the "good 'ol days" you were pining over never existed.

- - - Updated - - -

I worry about a lot of things.
    This is not one.
    Clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I think it's the smartest choice not to have sex until you are married (and then to have sex only with your spouse) from a health, financial and marital standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    STD's aren't really that common, and you can avoid it by using condoms. Unless you pay for prostitutes, how does it affect your finances?

Quote Originally Posted by Amantino View Post
    STD's aren't really that common, and you can avoid it by using condoms. Unless you pay for prostitutes, how does it affect your finances?
    Children are pretty expensive.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.