Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    You looking in a mirror or something?
    Thanks for reinforcing my point. By all means, keep going kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I recently read about an article similar to this for millennials, it happens sometimes because they are simply too busy. I went through a time in my life were I worked 60+ hour weeks on top of going to school full time sleep was my top priority.
    Hey I've been there, but it didn't go on forever. Besides it's not about people who can't because of hectic schedules, it's about people who are so brainwashed that they adhere to this unnatural abstinence that was only created to preserve the worth of young girls and women who were traded for livestock and land.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    In corinthians it describes sex as immoral except when in the case of a marriage between a man and a woman.

Personally I think its best to get as much experience as possible so when you do find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, you don't fuck it up.
    No, it says that each man should have a wife and each woman her own husband in order to avoid the temptation to sexual immorality. It doesn't say that all sex outside of wedlock is immoral. Just that to avoid the temptation of the sex which IS immoral, men and women should be married.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    Thanks for reinforcing my point. By all means, keep going kid.
    Ok then, thanks for adding so much to the discussion
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    But is there a reason for that belief beyond tradition? The Bible doesn't appear to have anything to say about it, and even if it did, we see LOTS of examples in the Bible of God changing his mind and circumstances change over the years (or even over hours in some cases in the Bible). Why should it still apply today, when millions of people sleep with people outside of wedlock, safely and without disease or unintended progeny, and get great joy and contentment out of it?
    There's something about a man and his wife "becoming one flesh." We believe marriage is a big deal, and that sex is a key part of that. It's how we were designed. I can't see why it shouldn't apply today. Christianity intrinsically is not about following the culture. Sin (which we believe to be simply not doing things God's way, which as I've said is often in our best interests) is easy, and around us. What others do is not what we should do.
    I also don't believe that just because something provides joy and contentment makes it the best course of action. In a hypothetical situation where a couple are sleeping together, ideally they're both the same level of invested in the relationship. In practice, it's usually more one sided than that, one partner is just in it for the sex, the other is looking for something serious. In the situation where you're considering marriage, your aims for the relationship should be more closely aligned, so heartbreak is less likely.
    There's also the obvious extreme of "people do it and get joy and contentment" of rape for instance. I'm not for a minute suggesting that's the norm, but it does mean that just because something makes you happy doesn't make it right.

Ok then, thanks for adding so much to the discussion
    Should I explain irony to you?

If they can pull that off good for them. At the least no unprotected sex before marriage, which is far more realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Oh religion..
    You are funny.
    How typical of you people to be intolerant of true beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Lmao if someone professed this where i live, they wouldnt hear the end of it. Sounds like the most stupid thing to do. Lets have some terrible akward teenager sex as adults on our wedding night. Sounds nice. The only nice thing about my wedding night is that wedding dress are fun as hell to undress out of and her jartels under it were damn sexy. So its pretty much is just a role play night for normal couples.
    It is actually very beautiful due to both parties not being soiled before marriage. If anything, having sex before marriage creates the awkwardness due to the partner having unrealistic, controlling needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it says that each man should have a wife and each woman her own husband in order to avoid the temptation to sexual immorality. It doesn't say that all sex outside of wedlock is immoral. Just that to avoid the temptation of the sex which IS immoral, men and women should be married.
    Like most religious texts that makes perfect sense, as long as you don't think about it too much.

Deleted
    I don't hate you. It's just not something that has an appeal to me. If anything, I see more appeal in knowing that she's had plenty of experience before me, and still chose me as better than all of the other guys.
    That's true as well. In a long distance relation that is bound to happen anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    How typical of you people to be intolerant of willfully ignorant bullshit.
    Fixed that for you.

I didn't have sex before I was married, I got married at 25. There is nothing wrong wanting to keep those feelings for the person who will be with you forever, instead of treating sex like this thing you do with anyone because you can. What makes it more special, that you saved yourself for her, or that you've been in other women?

I'm not going to tell people to stop having sex. I'm just speaking from my point of view, and it was worth it. What an experience learning together with your spouse.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    The only point of marriage apart from beeig religious are the tax advantages you get. Somehow the state still assumes that married = children. A change in that view is already on the horizon though.
    That's germany if you were wondering.
    Well its a celebration of your union. Whether or not you give a religious meaning to it is up to you.
    It can definitely be a very spiritual moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably more to do with the fact that back then having a baby outside of wedlock was a great way to make sure that no man would take you as a wife, since they wouldn't want to feed/clothe/shelter another man's child. Since back then society was built around men taking care of women, no father would want his daughter to sleep around because he could end up having to take care of her the rest of his life instead of marrying her off and getting that phat dowry.

But times change and we have ways to plan pregnancies now. We have ways to protect against diseases. Realistically, there's no reason to avoid sex before marriage anymore, other than tradition.
    Yes absolutely now it's literally only a matter of choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    In a hypothetical situation where a couple are sleeping together, ideally they're both the same level of invested in the relationship. In practice, it's usually more one sided than that
    It might be some of the time but I don't think that's the usual way things go at all. I also don't believe people who live their life based around fairytales and willful ignorance are really capable of good judgement in this area (as well as many, many others of course.)

Not before marriage? Ew, grow up.

Fixed that for you.
    You are only proving my point. You atheists are very intolerant to those who don't fit your world view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I didn't have sex before I was married, I got married at 25.
    I'm sure that was by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    What an experience learning together with your spouse.
    That's an experience you should be capable of having with your spouse regardless of either one of you having sex before marriage.

- - - Updated - - -

You are only proving my point. You atheists are very intolerant to those who don't fit your world view.
    You seem to be intolerant of facts and logic. Which is worse?

It makes more sense to have sex, than not have sex. It's enjoyable and makes you feel closer to the person, strengthening a relationship. Or not doing it because...God and stuff. If someone wants to wait, thats their choice, no matter the reason. There will always be weirdos everywhere that don't follow whats normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    There's something about a man and his wife "becoming one flesh." We believe marriage is a big deal, and that sex is a key part of that. It's how we were designed. I can't see why it shouldn't apply today. Christianity intrinsically is not about following the culture. Sin (which we believe to be simply not doing things God's way, which as I've said is often in our best interests) is easy, and around us. What others do is not what we should do.
    I also don't believe that just because something provides joy and contentment makes it the best course of action. In a hypothetical situation where a couple are sleeping together, ideally they're both the same level of invested in the relationship. In practice, it's usually more one sided than that, one partner is just in it for the sex, the other is looking for something serious. In the situation where you're considering marriage, your aims for the relationship should be more closely aligned, so heartbreak is less likely.
    There's also the obvious extreme of "people do it and get joy and contentment" of rape for instance. I'm not for a minute suggesting that's the norm, but it does mean that just because something makes you happy doesn't make it right.
    The majority of extramarital sex isn't rape, and I'd argue that's not exactly something that brings joy and contentment. I'm suggesting the joy and contentment is mutual.

My last girlfriend, for example, we slept together all the time. We cared about each other very deeply, possibly even loved each other. She eventually had to leave the country to go back to Argentina because she didn't have a work visa, so we broke up. The sex we had brought joy and contentment to us both, and was a wonderful part of our lives that I will always remember happily, and so will she. How in the world could that possibly be immoral or sinful? We shared love and wonder with each other and both came out better for it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ohhhh I reacted out of instict when I thought you were talking about Britbongs lol.
    Now that you added britbong instead of just bong I could actually google it. I have never heard that term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..