Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Well...

Time to start ordering EpiPen's from New Zealand for cheaper, better quality... $140-ish, I think?
    Hopefully its been approved by the FDA, otherwise its illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Hopefully its been approved by the FDA, otherwise its illegal.
    Does seem to be legal, according from reports.

Updated: "Since EpiPens now cost a flamin' fortune in the US" -- https://imgur.com/gallery/EI2N9
    Last edited by Shadow Fox; 2016-08-24 at 08:14 PM.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I don't think either of those are 'normal' jobs.
    Oh, I must have glossed over that clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Makes me glad that I still have mine from last year and haven't had to use it since I was in Kindergarden. Being allergic to bees/mold/penicillin blows, but thankfully it's be easily avoidable. I'm still waiting for the day that one lands in my drink and I don't notice (saw it on videos in Health class lol).
    Are you allergic to yeast as well? Just curious...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    They do expire FYI - much faster if improperly stored too. Better to have an expired one than none at all but I personally wouldn't bet my life on it.
    Yeah, I know. Mine are good until next year, but as I said earlier for those most part I know what to avoid and I've been fine for 15+ years. It's just a matter of knowing what you are allergic too and avoiding it. Bad part is I never had an allergy test (I'd rather not be poked to death; well how they use to do it) so everything I do know has been from trial and error in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Is penicillin really something that you have to worry about in the day to day? I'm allergic to penicillin too but didn't think you could encounter it outside of a doctors office.
    Well part of my problem is I have a lot of different medical issues (the list might be shorter to say what I don't have lol) and the doctor's like to try and scribe antibiotics for a lot of things. Problem is if you are allergic to penicillin (like actual and not just had a case as research shows maybe 20% of the people who say they are, really aren't because they group out of it) then you need to avoid about 10 other different medication families too. So you are really limited in what you can take. If it wasn't for the fact that I get Anaphylaxis (worst one is throat swelling and causes issues breathing) I wouldn't worry about it so much. Though I've also been finding out that I might be having a mild reaction to other types of antibiotics too, but it's not as bad so they have me take it.

Then on top of that we have what the penicillin derives from and the mold. Breathing in small amounts of mold (like mold in the natural air you see on the news) has the ability to render the pressure in my upper nose where the sinuses are to swell up and cause a lot of pressure pain, stuffy nose and trigger a lot of pressure headaches. Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done that has worked for me. Though breathing in mold luckily doesn't have all the nastier side effects that ingesting Penicillin does to me. Now if I was to touch the stuff full on (like coolers people forgot to clean, stuff growing in fridge) then it becomes a different story entirely.

Hopefully that helps explains it some without going into all the science details.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Are you allergic to yeast as well? Just curious...
    To be completely honest with you I couldn't tell you with 100% accuracy. I could be and it causes some issues, but with a slew of other issues I have it'd be hard for me to tell you. I've never done a full blow test to determine for sure, but I know that if I do it's a mild one that it's a life or death type issue with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    And people say that capitalism isn't anti-democratic. This is exactly why you need regulations and transparency, because some companies left to their own devices will at some point notice they can get away with doing shit like this.
    Incorrect, it's the government that regulates competition out of the market. Not capitalism. Real capitalism takes the chains of regulation off and free's the market and this company would fold if others were able to produce without worry of the cost of regulation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    obviously the poor people unable to afford life saving drugs deserve to die.
    Monetary worth is the best way of gauging a person's life.

NOONE cares if a million of tribesmen somewhere in the jungle dies. That is the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Monetary worth is the best way of gauging a person's life.

NOONE cares if a million of tribesmen somewhere in the jungle dies. That is the way it is.
    so only rich people matter in this world. gotcha. well enjoy that randtopian world with a population of about 25,000-250,000.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-08-24 at 09:44 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    Incorrect, it's the government that regulates competition out of the market. Not capitalism. Real capitalism takes the chains of regulation off and free's the market and this company would fold if others were able to produce without worry of the cost of regulation.
    Because its impossible to hold a monopoly.

And the CEo of this company is a Big Clinton foundation donor.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/24/co...r-and-partner/

The pharmaceutical company that distributes the EpiPen is also a Clinton Foundation donor.

Hillary Clinton criticized the company, Mylan, on Wednesday, calling its price hikes of the life-saving medical device “outrageous.”

“It’s just the latest troubling example of a company taking advantage of its consumers,” said Clinton.

But those remarks highlight Clinton’s radio silence on the price of the EpiPen, which has grown steadily since 2007, when Mylan acquired rights to sell the 50-year-old drug.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Links by

EpiPen injections, which help stop potentially fatal allergic reactions, cost $57 in 2007. They now run $609. According to CNBC, the price of EpiPens has increased at a steady rate in those nine years.

As of May 2011, the price was $165. That rose to $350 in 2014 and $461 last year.

Do You Think Hillary Clinton Is In Bed With The Pharmaceutical Industry?

Yes No

Completing this poll entitles you to Daily Caller news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
    The Clinton Foundation partnered with Mylan at a time when it was raising prices on the EpiPen, which had been distributed by Merck.

Ironically, the company partnered in 2009 with the Clinton Foundation to provide a lower-cost alternative for four HIV drugs. Clinton Foundation records show that Mylan has donated between $100,000 and $250,000 to the Foundation. It is not clear when the donation was made, but it likely corresponded with the 2009 partnership.

According to a Clinton Foundation press release, Mylan pledged to offer the drugs for $425 per year by 2010. The cost was 28 percent lower than competing drugs, according to the Clinton Foundation.

It is not clear if Mylan followed through with its pledge or what the cost of the drugs is today.

Other Democratic politicians are tied to Mylan. The company’s CEO, Heather Bresch, is the daughter of West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, a Hillary Clinton supporter.

Bresch became CEO of the company in Jan. 2012. Prior to that, she was a lobbyist for the company. She was appointed president in 2009.

She has seen her salary increase from $2.4 million since 2007 to $18.9 million last year, according to NBC.

The Daily Caller reached out to the Clinton Foundation for comment and will update with any response.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/24/co...#ixzz4IHxJtXM4
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2016-08-24 at 09:44 PM.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Now's a good time to support the research into technology like CRISPR so we can fix our genes and give a middle finger to big pharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    And the CEo of this company is a Big Clinton foundation donor.
    Well yeah, her dad is a Democrat Senator. Do people really think ONLY republicans are greedy money whores. No wonder folks get so excited about politics.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-08-24 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Well yeah, her dad is a Democrat Senator. Do people really think ONLY republicans are greedy money whores. No wonder folks get so excited about politics.
    A lot of people do, especially on this board
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

"So what can a company like Mylan do to increase profits on an old product, like EpiPen, when it’s already captured 98 percent market share and has no real competitors?

-One option is to increase prices.
    -The second is to increase the size of the market by convincing regulators, like the FDA, that the product should be marketed directly to a wider swath of the population. Then, a company can swoop in with high-profile (albeit backdoor) endorsements, from people like Sarah Jessica Parker, to increase awareness about the conditions that EpiPen treats.
    -Or, better still, why not push to have institutions like public schools incentivized under federal law to carry the product?

Mylan has spent the past decade doing all of the above."

http://gizmodo.com/how-congress-the-...ped-1785568792

Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    I like how these people tend to ignore copyrights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so only rich people matter in this world. gotcha. well enjoy that randtopian world with a population of about 25,000-250,000.
    I am enjoying it, and the relevant human population is MUCH greater.

Monetary worth of a person is the best approximation in gauging how good the person is, how VALUED he is.

Was listening to a business news show. What's happening is a generic EpiPen is going to be released so the EpiPen company decided to hike the prices in the interim. They'll have to lower prices when the generic version comes out which will probably sell for $50 or something way more reasonable.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

1) Win exclusive contract with US government to supply epinephrine pens to schools nationwide.

2) Jack the price up 400%.

3) Profit.

There is no step 4.

Everyone should just purchase Adrenaclick. Vote with your wallet.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    I am enjoying it, and the relevant human population is MUCH greater.

Monetary worth of a person is the best approximation in gauging how good the person is, how VALUED he is.
    Well, you seem like a nice, high functioning psychopath.