Thread: Tires

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    $1100? I live in Westchester County in NY, and I don't even think 4 brand new top of the line Pirelli's on a Ferrari would cost that much.
    His tires are off set and most likely low profile and a bigger rim size. They cost more then you're run of the mill tires but not as much as tires for a Ferrari.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Being frugal and having a car that needs lots of special shit sounds like they'd be at odds with each other.
    A lot of times you dont find these things out until you need to replace them. The dealer doesnt tell you that youll spend a lot more on replacement tires and brakes on this car than you would on a different model. I also found out the hard way that brakes arent cheap either for my car since they are factory equipped with Brembo brakes. The cost to replace the pads and rotors with Brembo parts is $3000. I was able to use a different brand that was compatible but it still cost me $500 for the parts and my brother installed them. I firmly believe that basic maintenance costs should be disclosed to consumers when they buy a car much like they are required to disclose fuel efficiency and safety ratings on the window sticker

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    People who realize that the government needs to maintain our roads and transportation infrastructure and that as cars continue to become more and more fuel efficient (or move off of gasoline entirely) that they can't endlessly add on to gas taxes and need to find other ways to generate money to maintain highways and roads proportional to how often individuals use them (use them more, pay for them more, use them less, pay for them less).

Which is kinda fucking important.
    Another person thinking we need to be taxed more! LOL.

Maybe they should tax us for just living? We already pay WELL enough for roads and highway taxes. How about we stop people abusing the system, so they get out and work AND PAY TAXES so they don't have to force more taxes on those of us WHO DO WORK!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Yeah, because the unions have say over the design and materials used in their companies' cars, and aren't constantly being pushed beyond their ability for faster and greater production from fewer and lower paid workers.

You're a genius you are, Orlong.

Also, larger diameter tires like 18", 19", 20", 22" with skinny low profiles are a lot more expensive than smaller normal sizes (14"-17"). No one needs a wheel/tire that big on a regular passenger car. Get a different car next time.
    Why should they be more expensive? If anything they should be less. It takes less rubber to make them and all tires are made the same, they just use different molds

Quote Originally Posted by r3gul8r View Post
    Another person thinking we need to be taxed more! LOL.
    ...how else do you propose local, state, and federal governments maintain and expand our transportation infrastructure? And if you respond with, "Just privatize it!", where do you think those private companies would get the money from?

We already pay WELL enough for roads and highway taxes.
    How much do we pay, then? Is that amount increasing? Is it enough to sustain our current, literally crumbling infrastructure?

How about we stop people abusing the system, so they get out and work AND PAY TAXES so they don't have to force more taxes on those of us WHO DO WORK!
    ...that's a whole other issue, not sure why you bring it up beyond wanting to complain that poor people who can't find work or aren't capable of working don't deserve assistance.

But nothing makes your car feel more like new than a new set of tires, properly inflated.

There are lots of sites with good ratings and info on tires.

There are several sites who will sell you tires online and arrange for a local installer.

Costco is an awesome option for new tires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    The real issue here is Orlong is either ignorant of or oblivious to the costs of owning his vehicle. Which is his mistake at time of purchase. There are other, cheaper to own and operated sports cars out there, ironically one of them is the Genesis 2.0t, but the Miata and Toybaru twins come to mind quickly. The used market is rife with options as well, that might have similar maintenance costs, the upfront purchase would be cheaper.
    The Genesis 2.0t is only a 4 cylinder engine and has a lot less horsepower (274) than the 3.8 track model (348), and although Im frugal in most ways, I always buy the top end model of the car I like because I spend so much time in my car. I dont want the model with the shitty audio system, no GPD, and a tiny screen, and I need the creature comforts like heated seats, heated mirrors, etc..

Also the Miata and Toybaru twins dont even compare in terms of horsepower and torque and on top of that, 90% of them are driven by men over 60 or girls, and Miata's barely have enough room to take home a bag of groceries in them

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why should they be more expensive? If anything they should be less. It takes less rubber to make them and all tires are made the same, they just use different molds
    Because larger diameter, low profile/short sidewall tires usually have a higher speed rating and thus are designed or built a bit differently or use different materials, and are priced higher. They don't use enough less rubber to matter much, but they use more belt material.

It's also trendy and tire makers can charge more because people will pay more for dumb looking rubber bands on huge pimp wheels.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-08-24 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

How much do we pay, then? Is that amount increasing? Is it enough to sustain our current, literally crumbling infrastructure?
    We would have plenty of money from fuel taxes, registration fees, and driver license fees if they actually used every penny of it for road maintenance like the original intent was, instead of siphoning the money out for non road things like building bike lanes/trails, rehabbing old railways into walking paths, and subsidizing mass transit so the welfare leeches and homeless people can ride the bus and subway for $1.50 instead of charging them the actual cost of a ride, while the rest of us keep paying more and more for fuel and fees

A lot of times you dont find these things out until you need to replace them. The dealer doesnt tell you that youll spend a lot more on replacement tires and brakes on this car than you would on a different model. I also found out the hard way that brakes arent cheap either for my car since they are factory equipped with Brembo brakes. The cost to replace the pads and rotors with Brembo parts is $3000. I was able to use a different brand that was compatible but it still cost me $500 for the parts and my brother installed them. I firmly believe that basic maintenance costs should be disclosed to consumers when they buy a car much like they are required to disclose fuel efficiency and safety ratings on the window sticker
    Or you know you could do a little bit of research before you buy something you "want" but don't understand the cost of maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

The Genesis 2.0t is only a 4 cylinder engine and has a lot less horsepower (274) than the 3.8 track model (348), and although Im frugal in most ways, I always buy the top end model of the car I like because I spend so much time in my car. I dont want the model with the shitty audio system, no GPD, and a tiny screen, and I need the creature comforts like heated seats, heated mirrors, etc..

Also the Miata and Toybaru twins dont even compare in terms of horsepower and torque and on top of that, 90% of them are driven by men over 60 or girls, and Miata's barely have enough room to take home a bag of groceries in them
    What do you need 348 HP for as a daily driver?

They are also considered better vehicles to the Genesis. The 2.0t is also about 100 lbs lighter and will likely hold value better going forward. The v6 costs as much as a mustang and is down 100 HP to it, the Mustang will also hold value better.
    I get you want all the bells and whistles, but you should have researched the vehicle first.

I also don't believe that anyone really needs a car with much more than 200hp. The speeds a 200hp vehicle are capable of more than out match the every day driver's ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Or you know you could do a little bit of research before you buy something you "want" but don't understand the cost of maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you need 348 HP for as a daily driver?
    We have a lot of short on ramps (some of them less than 50 yards) and steep hills (mountains) and I need to get up to speed as fast as possible when I pull out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    They are also considered better vehicles to the Genesis. The 2.0t is also about 100 lbs lighter and will likely hold value better going forward. The v6 costs as much as a mustang and is down 100 HP to it, the Mustang will also hold value better.
    I get you want all the bells and whistles, but you should have researched the vehicle first.

I also don't believe that anyone really needs a car with much more than 200hp. The speeds a 200hp vehicle are capable of more than out match the every day driver's ability.
    Everybody has a damn Mustang. I dont like having a car that I see 10 of on my way to work every day. Almost every time I get gas, someone asks me what kind of car it is because they never seen one before. I like being different, and I like having a car with a 172MPH top speed on the rare occasion I can drive it somewhere legally at that speed. Also to get that speed out of a Mustang, you need to buy the Shelby GT350 model which costs $20,000 more than my car
    Last edited by Orlong; 2016-08-24 at 11:42 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. Might I suggest trying the traditional "I'm frugal but have a cool mill in the bank" car?

I honestly didn't even know that companies made production vehicles with different size tires front to back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    That sucks. Might I suggest trying the traditional "I'm frugal but have a cool mill in the bank" car?
    Slow and boring

We have a lot of short on ramps (some of them less than 50 yards) and steep hills (mountains) and I need to get up to speed as fast as possible when I pull out
    C'mon man you're not fooling anyone here, you don't need 345HP you wanted it.

- - - Updated - - -

Everybody has a damn Mustang. I dont like having a car that I see 10 of on my way to work every day. Almost every time I get gas, someone asks me what kind of car it is because they never seen one before. I like being different, and I like having a car with a 172MPH top speed on the rare occasion I can drive it somewhere legally at that speed. Also to get that speed out of a Mustang, you need to buy the Shelby GT350 model which costs $20,000 more than my car
    So never then? Basically you wanted a fast car because you're young and anything but frugal which you have displayed here in this thread. You ruined what ever pathetic persona you were trying to hold onto here on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Slow and boring
    Spoken like a true frugal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    C'mon man you're not fooling anyone here, you don't need 345HP you wanted it.

- - - Updated - - -

So never then? Basically you wanted a fast car because you're young and anything but frugal which you have displayed here in this thread. You ruined what ever pathetic persona you were trying to hold onto here on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoken like a true frugal.
    I think he should have taken some personal responsibility for not researching upkeep on his car instead of blaming Da Ebul Gubbermint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

let see Camaro... 1100 or so for pirelli tires, pushed the factory to ones to maybe 20k miles before threads were showing... Mustang high performance Good years, sized up the in back 1200 .. maybe more, but its pushing 634 rwhp and thus worth the money. so 1100 seems right to me.

now a place to drive 170+ legally.... yeah that i'd love to know where its at!
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    now a place to drive 170+ legally.... yeah that i'd love to know where its at!
    There are tracks/raceways you can pay to drive on. Getting that car up to those speeds though, doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Why Orlong, that's the capitalism you love so much... If you don't like it you can start your own car tire business.

I thought you were all about capitalism designing things to fail to force people to buy it again?
    Too bad we can't just declare new tires a "right" and demand other buy them for us.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, 51,000 miles? Good for you, don't show off, don't cry, don't whine.

My tires are practically completely worn and I've noticed have been sliding a bit on the pavement lately.

I have only just reached over 22,000 miles. -.-

Again, quit whining.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, @Orlong, welcome to car ownership! Thanks for joining us. Now sit down and get ready to be forced to not be frugal.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water