10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Trying to troubleshoot BAD_POOL_HEADER Blue Screen (Windows 10)

The problem started on my Dekstop machine a few weeks ago. I checked and noticed my Anti-Malware program (Malware Bytes, Licensed version) and Windows Defender were both stopped. I was able to fix Malware Bytes but got AVG Free for two weeks since I couldn't get Windows Defender to work. I didn't like how it slowed down my machine so I replaced it with Avast. The problem is while AVG stopped the Blue Screen, Avast didn't and neither did SpyBot, which I downloaded along with AVG.

I assumed there was a conflict though I also put AVG on my Laptop to clean out some stuff. When I removed AVG from my laptop, the problems didn't return like they did with my Desktop. Now I'm reinstalling AVG on my Desktop to keep the root problem in check but I'm looking for help to find a permanent fix to the BAD_POOL_Header Blue Screen. Avast is lighter and that's why I wanted to replace AVG with it. Both my machines did the upgrade to Windows 10. The Desktop was a Windows 7 and the Laptop was a Windows 8.1.

The Blue Screen happened once while I was playing WoW the other day but aside from that, it typically happens when I'm using a browser.

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

You did an upgrade, do a fresh install. The upgrade sucks. Since the Desktop was W7, it's obviously an older install. the older the install, the more likely the upgrade is to make things go wonky. Do a fresh install and I am 99% certain your issues will go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Than you for not being helpful >.>;

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Than you for not being helpful >.>;
    Sorry, I actually read the entire post after posting and saw that it was an upgrade and edited my post to reflect that. You need to do a fresh install. The upgrade tool sucks. That's the most helpful answer you can possibly get, so you're welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    The upgrade does a piss poor job of removing drivers and software that are no longer compatible. If you don't want to do a fresh install all you can really do is basically uninstall every single driver and piece of software that you are not sure about. It would be faster to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    The upgrade does a piss poor job of removing drivers and software that are no longer compatible. If you don't want to do a fresh install all you can really do is basically uninstall every single driver and piece of software that you are not sure about. It would be faster to start over.
    Even at that, due to the install, parts of the drivers may be buried and missed when uninstalling them. Meaning you need to manually go through registry and remove the things that are causing the errors. Literally no one I even know of would be qualified to do that and even if there was such a person, they would tell you, it would take far less time and be far easier to just do a fresh install.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a feeling that would be suggested (A fresh install) and I plan to wait until I have the money to put in a new hard drive, and new DVD Drive (my desktop's DVD Drive "disappeared" after the upgrade) and what I meant to get so I can play D3 on it, a new Graphics Card. Until then, I'll use AVG to keep the machine stable in the meantime. It's a band aid but it will have to do for now. I also have my laptop to fall back on if need be as well.

It's more than likely a driver issue, which is a pain in the ass to track down. You can try downloading WhoCrashed? and running that. It will tell you all the information of your last blue screen.

Download CCleaner and run the cleaner and registry cleaner (make a backup of the registry changes when it asks you).

Start going through all your drivers and reinstalling them, would be an option to try if you dont feel like doing a fresh install of Windows.

I had a feeling that would be suggested (A fresh install) and I plan to wait until I have the money to put in a new hard drive, and new DVD Drive (my desktop's DVD Drive "disappeared" after the upgrade) and what I meant to get so I can play D3 on it, a new Graphics Card. Until then, I'll use AVG to keep the machine stable in the meantime. It's a band aid but it will have to do for now. I also have my laptop to fall back on if need be as well.
    Is there something wrong with your current hard drive and why in the world would you even need any form of optical drive in 2016?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Towstie View Post
    It's more than likely a driver issue, which is a pain in the ass to track down. You can try downloading WhoCrashed? and running that. It will tell you all the information of your last blue screen.

Download CCleaner and run the cleaner and registry cleaner (make a backup of the registry changes when it asks you).

Start going through all your drivers and reinstalling them, would be an option to try if you dont feel like doing a fresh install of Windows.
    I have CC Cleaner Pro. I haven't done full scans in a while now that I think of it. I'm trying to avoid a system reset because it will take me 3 days to restore everything and I won't be able to reinstall the games I have CDs for because the driver "disappeared". I want to hold off on that until I get the drive itself replaced due to problems I had with it just before I did the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Is there something wrong with your current hard drive and why in the world would you even need any form of optical drive in 2016?
    Actually no but it's a 750GB HDD and I want to get a bigger Hard Drive (2TB minimum).

As for why I want to get the Disc Drive replaced, I got some games earlier this year I can't install because the drive doesn't exist as far as the computer knows. It actually did have some problems before the upgrade anyways as well.

Actually no but it's a 750GB HDD and I want to get a bigger Hard Drive (2TB minimum).

As for why I want to get the Disc Drive replaced, I got some games earlier this year I can't install because the drive doesn't exist as far as the computer knows. It actually did have some problems before the upgrade anyways as well.
    You can not download a digital copy of the games? I am unaware of any games that this is not possible with. I have not run any form of optical Drive in years. Even when I buy physical copies of games, I can download the game and use the key that came with my physical copy.

I mean, if you really want one, sure, they are only like $15, so go for it. Just know they are pretty much entirely unnecessary.

I have CC Cleaner Pro. I haven't done full scans in a while now that I think of it. I'm trying to avoid a system reset because it will take me 3 days to restore everything and I won't be able to reinstall the games I have CDs for because the driver "disappeared". I want to hold off on that until I get the drive itself replaced due to problems I had with it just before I did the upgrade.

So it sounds like you found your problem.

Your CD/DVD Drive driver is bad.