Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Japanese and non-human races

Is it just me or does it seem Japanese can't comprehend anything that isn't 90% human or super chibi and adorable. I say this after seeing the FF14 race choice and i will say i've been a big JRPG fan and just eastern MMOs in general so dont' get me wrong i love their games but let me pitch you this, in wow we have worgen, if a Japanese game had such a race it would just end up as an uber cute guy/girl with wolf ears and tail and MAYBE fangs. then of course they have their pedo races. occasionally we'll get the big buff race with demon like features like horns and stuff. I don't know they just seem to lack total imagination in their games, in their actual history they have a bunch of unique and cool looking mythical creatures i don't know what stunted their creativity with games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half the game artists are from Japan. The majority of iconic video game characters are Japanese creations. Replace Japanese with SquareEnix and you can maybe kinda run with it.

I find this all weird when you have an anime avatar and Chopper being bashful in your sig.

I fail to see how Japanese races are "90%" human outside of obviously being humanoids like fantasy races in any game.

Please do elaborate on how an Orc from WoW is less human then a Roegadyn in FFXIV. Because the skin is green? I don't get it. The XIV races are as clearly not human as the races in any other fantasy games, eastern or western.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I fail to see how Japanese races are "90%" human outside of obviously being humanoids like fantasy races in any game.

Please do elaborate on how an Orc from WoW is less human then a Roegadyn in FFXIV. Because the skin is green? I don't get it. The XIV races are as clearly not human as the races in any other fantasy games, eastern or western.
    Look at them they are just humans that are bigger with different skin color, though i guess most my applies to anthropomorphic animal race, When i look at animal races in eastern culture it seems it only consists of tails and ears. Though the humanoid type races of eastern culture are way more human like than those of western.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Half the game artists are from Japan. The majority of iconic video game characters are Japanese creations. Replace Japanese with SquareEnix and you can maybe kinda run with it.

I find this all weird when you have an anime avatar and Chopper being bashful in your sig.
    lets be honest i've watch enough anime to know that japan doesn't even get close to the design of other races that western fantasys do. Chopper is about the closest thing we get to an anthropomorphic race we get in any eastern fanstay, like i said above.

Deleted
    Wanna fight 1v1

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Wanna fight 1v1
    I would except for fact i don't have time or patience to link every single anthropomorphic race used in every single western game ever, though i'm sure you'll have time to link every eastern one cause what there is that one and 3 others?

I genuinely believe they keep them all 90% human to imply the fact that all of the races could fuck.

have to make this a separate post i mean seriously i thought this was a well known issue, seriously eastern mmo's have no really variety when it comes to race choices besides different shades of humans. I'm here to argue western rpg races have a way bigger variety and difference if you seriously want to argue that eastern rpg races have a bigger variety good luck but seriously you'll lose very hard core.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I genuinely believe they keep them all 90% human to imply the fact that all of the races could fuck.
    I mean it has to be this we all know Japanese are super pervy and all about that sex to sell their games, if you make a race look like worgen do that alienates everyone who isn't a furry therefore losing that many more sales. they seem to want to make everyone attracted to their game instead of making it a believable fantasy world
    Last edited by Grumar; 2016-08-25 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumar View Post
    Look at them they are just humans that are bigger with different skin color
    What makes that different from an orc with is just a muscular human with a different skin color and bad teeth?

"Look at them they are just humans with ____" applies to every fantasy race ever as they're all humanoids.

- - - Updated - - -

have to make this a separate post i mean seriously i thought this was a well known issue, seriously eastern mmo's have no really variety when it comes to race choices besides different shades of humans. I'm here to argue western rpg races have a way bigger variety and difference if you seriously want to argue that eastern rpg races have a bigger variety good luck but seriously you'll lose very hard core.

I mean it has to be this we all know Japanese are super pervy and all about that sex to sell their games, if you make a race look like worgen do that alienates everyone who isn't a furry therefore losing that many more sales. they seem to want to make everyone attracted to their game instead of making it a believable fantasy world
    http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races_in_X

/thread

Want me to link more? In fact Japanese games have far more variety in humanoids then any western games I play which are all the typical ones you see in 90% of western games. Only the sci fi western games like Mass Effect actually have unique races. Pretty much every Japanese game does, Fantasy or Sci Fi or otherwise.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-08-25 at 04:35 AM.

We dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, that kind of radiation does some serious damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What makes that different from an orc with is just a muscular human with a different skin color and bad teeth?

"Look at them they are just humans with ____" applies to every fantasy race ever as they're all humanoids.

- - - Updated - - -

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races_in_X

/thread

Want me to link more? In fact Japanese games have far more variety in humanoids then any western games I play which are all the typical ones you see in 90% of western games. Only the sci fi western games like Mass Effect actually have unique races. Pretty much every Japanese game does, Fantasy or Sci Fi or otherwise.
    if you think anyone of those measure up to what the west made up you're mistaken, lizard people, wolf men, *insert any animal here* man, orcs, tolkien orcs, trollsk several types of trolls.goblins several types of goblins, again i don't have all day.

if you think anyone of those measure up to what the west made up you're mistaken, lizard people, wolf men, *insert any animal here* man, orcs, tolkien orcs, trollsk several types of trolls.goblins several types of goblins, again i don't have all day.
    Well only 1 of them is actually "___ man" with the Wrothian being cat like. The rest are unique not "I just bread an animal with a human to create this super cool race bro!" Instead they're actually unique designs. Guess the Japanese artists do have more imagination after all /shrug.

I don't mind. It's a bit jarring at times but ultimately I find myself more interested in playing a character that is classically handsome with an interesting culture rather than a character that boasts an interesting culture but is visibly unappealing. I've always found the likes of orcs to be immensely overrated though - and very niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets be honest i've watch enough anime to know that japan doesn't even get close to the design of other races that western fantasys do. Chopper is about the closest thing we get to an anthropomorphic race we get in any eastern fanstay, like i said above.
    You've not watched enough then. Overlord(anime/novel) majority of main characters are anthropomorphic. How about Spirited Away, everyone knows that one.

Want to talk games? How about Frog from Chrono Trigger? Or Lynx from Chrono Cross? Freya from FFIX? Kimahri from FFX? How about the Starfox cast? How about the Super Mario characters? What about Sonic, do those not count either?

Western fantasy is so limited, I don't get peoples hangup on Tolkien. Eastern characters are simply far more vast and varied.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Western fantasy is so limited, I don't get peoples hangup on Tolkien. Eastern characters are simply far more vast and varied.
    I think that's a bit unfair. Both have their merits and both are pretty varied. I wouldn't say Western fantasy is 'limited' by any means.

I'm getting the feeling he's mad Eastern RPGs don't offer more furryshit options? I always leave the Western tag off when searching Sad Panda bc literally 95% of it is furryshit. I blame Disney, they have way too many fully anthro animals in their movies.

Also: The more animal-like races in RPGs are, the lower their player representation is. For example, even on the NA servers for Tera, almost nobody played Poporri. The more recent release of Starbound in the west: It's been my experience the vast majority play either Human or Floran... the two most human looking. Blood Elves ended up being super popular after being introduced for Horde in WoW... very few play Dwarves or Trolls, etc.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2016-08-25 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    That...blew my mind. Well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Japanese just aren't that into furries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Tentacles aren't even humanoid. And while they are cute, hentai-orcs definately look diffrent from humans.

Is it just me or does it seem Japanese can't comprehend anything that isn't 90% human or super chibi and adorable. I say this after seeing the FF14 race choice and i will say i've been a big JRPG fan and just eastern MMOs in general so dont' get me wrong i love their games but let me pitch you this, in wow we have worgen, if a Japanese game had such a race it would just end up as an uber cute guy/girl with wolf ears and tail and MAYBE fangs. then of course they have their pedo races. occasionally we'll get the big buff race with demon like features like horns and stuff. I don't know they just seem to lack total imagination in their games, in their actual history they have a bunch of unique and cool looking mythical creatures i don't know what stunted their creativity with games.
    The race designs for Final Fantasy XII are very original.

Spoiler: 

Though yes, it seems the vast majority of JRPGs default to stereotypical fantasy race designs.