Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Oh lord, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yes you did. You clearly called the missing content to be €30. Hence why your €60 - €30 equation comes out to €30 instead of €10, €5, €15, €50 etc.
    Wait what? 60-30 is 30? who knew!?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There are greater differences than just that; there's differences in handling and so forth as well. It's just not blatantly apparent since there's no in-game stat sheet that shows you the numbers.

It may be less than people EXPECTED, but that's people making assumptions.

I mean, very early on in the dev cycle, I basically took a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance. I pre-ordered at like 6 hours prior to launch, because I'd decided to buy at that point. I don't feel cheated, but I was also taking every press release with two grains of salt, at every point; maybe that's why I'm not aghast at the product I received.

I'm the same way with Star Citizen. They're promising SO much, I'll believe it when I see it. Doesn't mean I think it's guaranteed to suck, or that they'll fail, but I never go in assuming everything will be superawesome based on dev statements.

But then, I'm old enough/was young enough that the Daikatana mess stuck with me really hard. When you compare No Man's Sky to the fallthrough of Daikatana, it isn't even comparable. Another that I'll always class as terrible was Fable, which promised SO much more than it delivered. I find NMS to be less of a letdown because the core of it, the procedural planets/exploration, really is there.
    Yeah, I went through a phase where I'd buy into hype trains and build up a game into something grander than it was in my mind, only to be let down when many of the features never made it into the game. This is basically every game that decides to share features that are still on the drawing board/in development. Some developers choose to share these features, others only share the features they have in the actual working game. I learned long ago not to take any features seriously until they could demonstrate them actually working in an actual play session, not a scripted trailer.

I used to be let down a lot, and then run to forums, bitter and trying to make everyone else believe the game was just as bad as I thought it was. The people having fun just "didn't get it!" and I had to make them see. I wasted far too much time doing that, and I look back and realize it was kind of pathetic.

Just like you I was looking forward to this game, and I was kind of keeping up with it, but I was not glued to every dev interview either. I've just learned not to do that, it only ever ends in disappointment. I pre ordered the game the day before. I have plenty of money and a good income, so $60 is really not a big deal to me, plus Steam has a generous refund policy, so if I found the game unplayable, I could simply refund it. Instead I have had over 60 hours of great fun, which is a lot more play time than I've gotten out of some games that cost $70-$80. And yet... I'm being told that I was "scammed". Some people seem to have a very very VERY loose definition of the word scam.

And the funny part is, I see these people who seem to live such miserable existences that they can't learn this same thing, and must continue to try and convince everyone else to hate every single game they hate. And I see the same people doing it over and over again, getting hyped up about a game only to be disappointed and call devs liars. Then they'll move on to the next game, talk about how amazing it is while it's in concept, and when it's released they cry about how terrible it is, how devs lied to them, etc. Rinse repeat ad nauseum.

It's a lot of the same people. And you'd think they'd learn. I expect they will learn eventually. From other forum posts, I know many of them are young, I know many of them have a fairly low income, so they're more scrupulous with their money, and they're inexperienced in the game industry. 10 years ago I had a low income and didn't know anyone.

Fast forward to today, half of the raiding guild that I spent 7 years with are now game developers at major gaming companies and I have an inside look at the development process often. Their thinking, their reasoning, why they don't tell gamers about features that are in devleopment... and even features that are close to done. Because features just may not make it, and if they talk about a feature they're making, many take that as gospel that it will be in the game.

I feel that many gaming companies are bad at communicating these days, but then again, I know the reason many are tight lipped. All of my developer friends like to "lunch chat" over meals and such about how awful and entitled the gamer audience is these days. That is not to say they're all bad, but as a whole, you only need to go to forums to see how whiny and demanding they are. It's why they're so selective about beta testers these days. Very few people are actually able to give real, constructive feedback.

Anyway, I got to rambling. To get back on topic, do I think they maliciously and deliberately lied? Fuck no. People who whine about "lying" are very obviously hurt, and they have reason to be. But then you have to think about it from the point of view of developers. Why would they deliberately lie? To get more people to pre order? In a market that you can very easily get a full refund that doesn't really appear all that practical.

Knowing the development process, they more than likely had many of these features working on internal, testing versions, but had yet to apply it to the actual product that was going to go live, and they were probably even having trouble getting certain features to work. They had the additional problem of having to get it to work on not only multiple different PC configurations, but PS4 as well, so any feature that didn't work on any one of those would be scrapped.

So when the interviews happened and Sean was answering questions, he was more than likely believing that they would have those features working by release. It was inexperienced fibs, not malicious lies. And of course I will get called out for "defending" malicious liars by people who are very hurt, and who just cannot get over being hurt, and must continue to try and make everyone else hate the game as much as they. Which is frankly a kind of sad way to live, being so bitter all the time.

I play NMS while sitting AFK in legion invasions leveling my characters, and it's still great fun.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as honest trailers often gets things right, it accurately describes the first two hours of play. And nothing else. :P
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-24 at 08:18 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    To think that this never happens is pretty ignorant honestly.
    You'll have to quote me on where I made that claim.

Considering I specifically made mention that it can and does happen, and was only criticizing those who think the exact opposite (that it always happens), good fucking luck.

- - - Updated - - -

But I am not blindly defending them while ignoring the facts.
    You're arguing with the guy who said I claimed DLC was never completed content cut to make a buck later, despite me saying that it does happen in another response. You're better off spending your energy in discussion with someone else. Honestly I'm just going to abandon this thread for the time being while the same circle jerkers write off anyone not slamming the game as a blind fanboy.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2016-08-24 at 08:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Wait what? 60-30 is 30? who knew!?
    What don't you understand. You stated they cut $30 worth of content from the game. You stated you never labeled the missing content, which you did.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

What don't you understand. You stated they cut $30 worth of content from the game. You stated you never labeled the missing content, which you did.
    I'm stating that a a circle that's 90% black, is 10% white. I'm stating that it's only half a game in reality, that its current content is not worth the asking price and by deduction the remaining content should be worth €30, but that does not mean that I think the missing content would be worth €30. In fact, if anything, I'm saying you got promised a massage with a happy ending for €60, but the massage wasn't worth it and you got anally penetrated instead.

And you liked it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Yeah, I went through a phase where I'd buy into hype trains and build up a game into something grander than it was in my mind, only to be let down when many of the features never made it into the game. This is basically every game that decides to share features that are still on the drawing board/in development. Some developers choose to share these features, others only share the features they have in the actual working game. I learned long ago not to take any features seriously until they could demonstrate them actually working in an actual play session, not a scripted trailer.
    ...and how many interviews did Sean Murray do where he was molesting a PS4 controller while pretending to be playing the actual game as a pre-rendered movie played out? How could anyone feel misled when the developer was playing the game right in front of them on TV?

As much as honest trailers often gets things right, it accurately describes the first two hours of play. And nothing else. :P
    Can you expand on this? I spent 20 hours on the game and the trailer pretty much nails it on every front. Is there something that happens much further in the game that makes it suddenly different?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the biggest complaint I'm hearing is about the lack of multiplayer...maybe they could have done it but cut it out last second? Not as a technical choice but a design one? I know I don't think I would like the game as much with multiplayer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm stating that a a circle that's 90% black, is 10% white. I'm stating that it's only half a game in reality, that its current content is not worth the asking price and by deduction the remaining content should be worth €30, but that does not mean that I think the missing content would be worth €30. In fact, if anything, I'm saying you got promised a massage with a happy ending for €60, but the massage wasn't worth it and you got anally penetrated instead.

And you liked it.
    You apparently liked it to since you keep talking about it and devoting time to it. But that is besides the point. I get what you are stating now but that isn't what you originally stated. However no matter how much you want to state it NMS is not half of a game in reality. It is a full game that doesn't do what a lot of people want so they feel the need to tell everyone endlessly how bad of a game it is.

But it is still a full game. They cut features yes, but that doesn't make the game half of a game. All of its core game play elements were not cut.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I feel like the biggest complaint I'm hearing is about the lack of multiplayer...maybe they could have done it but cut it out last second? Not as a technical choice but a design one? I know I don't think I would like the game as much with multiplayer.
    There is no finished player model.
    The game does not send the player location to the server.

Multiplayer takes a lot of testing. Like... a lot.
    No they not decide that would skip it a month before release because by that point they were never going to be able to implement it in the first place.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

(Well said)

Now ill wait for people to hate on the video before watching it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Ya I do believe its been linked a few times.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya I do believe its been linked a few times.
    just wondering becasue in the last few pages at least people still argued about lists not being linked of features that were advertised and yet not in game.

I used to be let down a lot, and then run to forums, bitter and trying to make everyone else believe the game was just as bad as I thought it was. The people having fun just "didn't get it!" and I had to make them see. I wasted far too much time doing that, and I look back and realize it was kind of pathetic.

Just like you I was looking forward to this game, and I was kind of keeping up with it, but I was not glued to every dev interview either. I've just learned not to do that, it only ever ends in disappointment. I pre ordered the game the day before. I have plenty of money and a good income, so $60 is really not a big deal to me, plus Steam has a generous refund policy, so if I found the game unplayable, I could simply refund it. Instead I have had over 60 hours of great fun, which is a lot more play time than I've gotten out of some games that cost $70-$80. And yet... I'm being told that I was "scammed". Some people seem to have a very very VERY loose definition of the word scam.

And the funny part is, I see these people who seem to live such miserable existences that they can't learn this same thing, and must continue to try and convince everyone else to hate every single game they hate. And I see the same people doing it over and over again, getting hyped up about a game only to be disappointed and call devs liars. Then they'll move on to the next game, talk about how amazing it is while it's in concept, and when it's released they cry about how terrible it is, how devs lied to them, etc. Rinse repeat ad nauseum.

It's a lot of the same people. And you'd think they'd learn. I expect they will learn eventually. From other forum posts, I know many of them are young, I know many of them have a fairly low income, so they're more scrupulous with their money, and they're inexperienced in the game industry. 10 years ago I had a low income and didn't know anyone.

Fast forward to today, half of the raiding guild that I spent 7 years with are now game developers at major gaming companies and I have an inside look at the development process often. Their thinking, their reasoning, why they don't tell gamers about features that are in devleopment... and even features that are close to done. Because features just may not make it, and if they talk about a feature they're making, many take that as gospel that it will be in the game.

I feel that many gaming companies are bad at communicating these days, but then again, I know the reason many are tight lipped. All of my developer friends like to "lunch chat" over meals and such about how awful and entitled the gamer audience is these days. That is not to say they're all bad, but as a whole, you only need to go to forums to see how whiny and demanding they are. It's why they're so selective about beta testers these days. Very few people are actually able to give real, constructive feedback.

Anyway, I got to rambling. To get back on topic, do I think they maliciously and deliberately lied? Fuck no. People who whine about "lying" are very obviously hurt, and they have reason to be. But then you have to think about it from the point of view of developers. Why would they deliberately lie? To get more people to pre order? In a market that you can very easily get a full refund that doesn't really appear all that practical.

Knowing the development process, they more than likely had many of these features working on internal, testing versions, but had yet to apply it to the actual product that was going to go live, and they were probably even having trouble getting certain features to work. They had the additional problem of having to get it to work on not only multiple different PC configurations, but PS4 as well, so any feature that didn't work on any one of those would be scrapped.

So when the interviews happened and Sean was answering questions, he was more than likely believing that they would have those features working by release. It was inexperienced fibs, not malicious lies. And of course I will get called out for "defending" malicious liars by people who are very hurt, and who just cannot get over being hurt, and must continue to try and make everyone else hate the game as much as they. Which is frankly a kind of sad way to live, being so bitter all the time.

I play NMS while sitting AFK in legion invasions leveling my characters, and it's still great fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys. Im an adult. And im going to indirectly insult you by talking about how I've grown up and none of you seem to have grown up yourselves. Also, I'm going to make wild and baseless assumptions about your lives, jobs and living conditions while I'm at it. Also, I'm going to use my own subjective views on how to enjoy video games and pretend like that justifies my defense of a shitty developer and their half assed game.

Oh, and I supposedly have friends in games development so that means I know better than any of you when we talk about games. (Like we've never heard people use that excuse on the internet before).

/rolls eyes

That video is extremely accurate.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    just wondering becasue in the last few pages at least people still argued about lists not being linked of features that were advertised and yet not in game.
    That list have been linked and it's full of inferred bullshit like this one at the very beginning:

Landing on Asteroids - "Yeah, at the moment you can land on asteroids."

Haters inferred this as a promise of landing on asteroids. Dev said "at the moment" which means it's probably a bug or experimental feature. "At the" fucking "moment" is a pretty good indicator this was not a promise of anything. And if you played the game you would know there's a fuck all reason to land on asteroids.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That list have been linked and it's full of inferred bullshit like this one at the very beginning:

Landing on Asteroids - "Yeah, at the moment you can land on asteroids."

Haters inferred this as a promise of landing on asteroids. Dev said "at the moment" which means it's probably a bug or experimental feature. "At the" fucking "moment" is a pretty good indicator this was not a promise of anything. And if you played the game you would know there's a fuck all reason to land on asteroids.
    Try harder to defend this lying sack of shit developer please. It's getting extremely entertaining watching you and several others flail about desperately in the hopes that you can somehow help the dev and this game save face.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Try harder to defend this lying sack of shit developer please. It's getting extremely entertaining watching you and several others flail about desperately in the hopes that you can somehow help the dev and this game save face.
    Not likely. It's more about countering the toxic negativity of sad individuals such as yourself with facts instead of piling on the hyperboles.

Your attitude in this thread is sickening and pathetic.

As usual, my slowly gaine habit of just waiting 1 year or so for a Steam sales to get games nets me a good whacking out of the failed projects. If in a year or so the game is still updated and alive, it will likely have more stuff to do. Maybe wait some more for the inevitable GOTY/all-in-one pack.

Otherwise i'll just pass and won't spend money on a non appealing product.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.