Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Lol.
    God bless ignorance. I wish I lived in such a simple place.
    I claim real hard evidence, you claim personal beliefs, and I'm the ignorant one? Seems like a common theme among you muslims. ☺

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Just stop, being embarrassed of being Muslim and saying you're all secular doesn't fly anymore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Turkey

Also: see overwhelming Erdogan support by Turks worldwide after the coup.
    I see no reason to be embarrassed of being any kind of believer. By that logic all atheists all around the world are embarrassed? How can you put everyone into 1 category? It is a belief. How can you be %100 sure what people believe and how much do they believe, how much do they perform. Of course if you ask my parents they will say they are muslim. But what do they do? My father goes to mosque 2 times a year. That is it. Nothing else. My mom if you ask she will say she is muslim but she does nothing. So by your logic these 2 people are same as IS, as they call themselves muslims. Good job. We are secular.End of it. These 15 years thanks to retard Erdogan and his clowns saw the usage of religion in politic talks addressed to people. I know it. I experienced it. I do not like it. I detest it. But yeah I didn't know I was a muslim just like your typical muslim in your head. Oh the revelation.

Did you read the page you linked? You just read the outdated first sentence right? 99.8 percent muslim. Keep reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I see no reason to be embarrassed of being any kind of believer. By that logic all atheists all around the world are embarrassed? How can you put everyone into 1 category? It is a belief. How can you be %100 sure what people believe and how much do they believe, how much do they perform. Of course if you ask my parents they will say they are muslim. But what do they do? My father goes to mosque 2 times a year. That is it. Nothing else. My mom if you ask she will say she is muslim but she does nothing. So by your logic these 2 people are same as IS, as they call themselves muslims. Good job. We are secular.End of it. These 15 years thanks to retard Erdogan and his clowns saw the usage of religion in politic talks addressed to people. I know it. I experienced it. I do not like it. I detest it. But yeah I didn't know I was a muslim just like your typical muslim in your head. Oh the revelation.

Did you read the page you linked? You just read the outdated first sentence right? 99.8 percent muslim. Keep reading.
    You mean this?

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Turkey is officially a secular country with no official religion since the constitutional amendment in 1924 and later strengthened by Atatürk's Reforms and the appliance of laïcité by the country's founder and first president Mustafa Kemal Atatürk at the end of 1937. However, currently all public schools from elementary to high school hold mandatory religion classes which only focus on the Sunni sect of Islam. In these classes, children are required to learn prayers and other religious practices which belong specifically to Sunnism. Thus, although Turkey is officially a secular state, the teaching of religious practices in public grade schools has been controversial. Its application to join the European Union divided existing members, some of which questioned whether a Muslim country could fit in. Turkish politicians have accused the country's EU opponents of favouring a "Christian club".[10]

Beginning in the 1980s, the role of religion in the state has been a divisive issue, as influential religious factions challenged the complete secularization called for by Kemalism and the observance of Islamic practices experienced a substantial revival. In the early 2000s (decade), Islamic groups challenged the concept of a secular state with increasing vigor after Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's Islamist-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP) came into power in 2002.

Although the Turkish government states that more than 99% of the population is nominally Muslim, academic research and polls give different results of the percentage of Muslims which are usually lower, most of which are above the 90% range. In a poll conducted by Sabancı University, 98.3% of Turks revealed they were Muslim.[11] A poll conducted by Eurobarometer, KONDA and some other research institutes in 2013 showed that around 4.5 million of the 15+ population had no religion. Another poll conducted by the same institutions in 2015 showed that the number has reached 5.5 million, which means roughly 9.4% of the population in Turkey have no religion at all.[5]
    I don't get why we're still arguing, Turkey is still a hugely majorly muslim country, trying to come across as Kemalist or reformed atheists or whatever means you are in the very tiny minority. There's nothing to be ashamed of by being muslim, just don't be perplexed when the rest of Europe perceives you as a threat just because of that and all the recent bombings.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-08-25 at 08:00 AM.

Deleted
    I claim real hard evidence, you claim personal beliefs, and I'm the ignorant one? Seems like a common theme among you muslims. ☺
    Turkey is a secular country. Fact. Your personal beliefs do not affect that.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean this?

I don't get why we're still arguing, Turkey is still a hugely majorly muslim country, trying to come across as Kemalist or reformed atheists or whatever means you are in the very tiny minority. There's nothing to be ashamed of by being muslim, just don't be perplexed when the rest of Europe perceives you as a threat just because of that and all the recent bombings.
    I don't know why you're still arguing considering that
    Turkey is officially a secular country with no official religion since the constitutional amendment in 1924 and later strengthened by Atatürk's Reforms and the appliance of laïcité by the country's founder and first president Mustafa Kemal Atatürk at the end of 1937.
    When they become an Islamic Republic you can talk.
    Now however you can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey is a secular country. Fact. Your personal beliefs do not affect that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why you're still arguing considering that

When they become an Islamic Republic you can talk.
    Now however you can't.
    You can shine shit and call it gold for all I care, at least 91% of your country is muslim.

Deleted
    You can shine shit and call it gold for all I care, at least 91% of your country is muslim.
    My country is overwhelming Catholic. But yes, Turkey is overwhelming muslim, and yet, still a secular country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey is overwhelming muslim, and yet, still a secular country.
    Well, someone doesn't grasp the meaning of the word secular then.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are you saying the UK isn't a secular country because the majority of people are Christian then? :P

You mean this?

Yes I mean that. Reformed Atheist. Wow. I am reformed. Like who the fuck do you think you are? Should put "reformed atheist" in my sig.

reform: make changes in (something, typically a social, political, or economic institution or practice) in order to improve it.

So i am a better person now. Where as the other 70 million must be shit. Man such arrogance.

2nd, almost 10 million is not minority. 3rd, Being atheist does not automatically make you a good person just like being a muslim does not automatically make you a shit person. You have an image in your mind and you put everyone into same image. You meet nice people in life you meet shit people in your life. Or all you met so far is shit by your standards?

But your sentence is almost correct, Turkey is hugely muslim country + secular. That education is bullshit, Once a week. Yes you are supposed to study but nobody gave a fuck in my years or now and also that information is partly incorrect. We learnt about other religions. Buddhism, Shinto, Christianity, etc. That was a good experience for me. I think I still have my elementary school books. Maybe I can find and post a pic. EU is right on that one. But there are families who simply give a petition to school to not take those classes. Worst case you sue them and win %100 times.

We also have religion section in our identity cards. In which your religion is written, together with your blood type, married or not, other crucial info. But then again, you can remove "religion" by just giving a pre-prepared paper. You sign it and put the date. You get your new ID in less than 2 minutes. First hand experience.

Then welcome to Erdogan haters club. (stereotype)

You see? Democracy, secularism, still works. Although it is in bad shape thanks to you know who.

As a side note; we have the first letter of whatever religion you believe on our dogtags while serving in the army. The reason is same as identity card. In the case of death, give you a proper burial, cremation or whatever ceremony. In case there are no close relatives found etc.
    Last edited by Gref; 2016-08-25 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    Yes. You. Obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Yes I mean that. Reformed Atheist. Wow. I am reformed. Like who the fuck do you think you are? Should put "reformed atheist" in my sig.

reform: make changes in (something, typically a social, political, or economic institution or practice) in order to improve it.

So i am a better person now. Where as the other 70 million must be shit. Man such arrogance.

2nd, almost 10 million is not minority. 3rd, Being atheist does not automatically make you a good person just like being a muslim does not automatically make you a shit person. You have an image in your mind and you put everyone into same image. You meet nice people in life you meet shit people in your life. Or all you met so far is shit by your standards?

But your sentence is almost correct, Turkey is hugely muslim country + secular. That education is bullshit, Once a week. Yes you are supposed to study but nobody gave a fuck in my years or now and also that information is partly incorrect. We learnt about other religions. Buddhism, Shinto, Christianity, etc. That was a good experience for me. I think I still have my elementary school books. Maybe I can find and post a pic. EU is right on that one. But there are families who simply give a petition to school to not take those classes. Worst case you sue them and win %100 times.

We also have religion section in our identity cards. In which your religion is written, together with your blood type, married or not, other crucial info. But then again, you can remove "religion" by just giving a pre-prepared paper. You sign it and put the date. You get your new ID in less than 2 minutes. First hand experience.

Then welcome to Erdogan haters club. (stereotype)

You see? Democracy, secularism, still works. Although it is in bad shape thanks to you know who.

As a side note; we have the first letter of whatever religion you believe on our dogtags while serving in the army. The reason is same as identity card. In the case of death, give you a proper burial, cremation or whatever ceremony. In case there are no close relatives found etc.
    We had the same when I was in school. 1 hour of religion each week. We'd learn about bible and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    Doubly complicated by the fact that the Kurds they're attacking have us special forces embedded with them.

Deleted
    Just stop, being embarrassed of being Muslim and saying you're all secular doesn't fly anymore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Turkey

Also: see overwhelming Erdogan support by Turks worldwide after the coup.
    Exactly that.

Both Turkey and ISIS/ISIL/whatevertheycallthemselvesnow are muslim countries. Syria as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine, you're """""""""""""""secular""""""""""""""".

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Both Turkey and ISIS/ISIL/whatevertheycallthemselvesnow are muslim countries. Syria as well.
    1: ISIS/ISIL are both English translations of Daesh, that's the only name they have ever actually had/called themselves.

2: They are not a country.

3: Syria is a secular country not Muslim, that's why ISIS and the Islamic rebels are fighting to turn it into an Islamic country. Things like freedom or religion and women's rights don't fly well with ISIS or other extremist groups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Exactly that.

Turkey and Syria are secular countries.
    Isis is not a country.

Lol this is easy. Come on folks that all you can bring?

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey and Syria are secular countries.
    Isis is not a country.

Lol this is easy. Come on folks that all you can bring?
    Why, do you feel you're under fire by us?

Deleted
    Why, do you feel you're under fire by us?
    ... to the discussion.
    lol.

Fine, you're """""""""""""""secular""""""""""""""".
    I just passed through a rock festival last night in Balıkesir, a conservative city. Topless women, half naked college students literally everywhere, local populace not giving shit about the excessive drinking even though they also are muslims, just trying to open up 1M+ homemade meatball stands to make some money out of this.

I hate festivals and half naked crowds of people, the smell of burned skin and piss everywhere really does get you. Yet it helps prove what I'm about the say: Even though shit hit fan in the last few decades, places you actually want to visit and live in here largely remain extremely tolerant, not much different from any big city in the west really.

Lastly, Turkey is not your usual middle-eastern country in terms of religion. While the overwhelming majority is muslim, and the culture that stubbornly advocates ignorance was born and raised due to that, non-theism is such a fad amoung the young(and the 60s and 80s generation revolutionaries) that you can find an atheist in the room almost anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Doubly complicated by the fact that the Kurds they're attacking have us special forces embedded with them.
    They will focus on ISIS and not other matters. See Biden's statements made in Turkey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    They will focus on ISIS and not other matters. See Biden's statements made in Turkey.
    Do Biden's statements now carry any value?